Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #1  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Default Vacuuming at the gym?

I joined the gym in my office building at the start of the year and have been working out there regularly ever since. It is a small family owned gym and very laid back. In the last week or so, they have hired a new guy who is there in the evenings while I go. The thing is, he is vacuuming during regular gym hours and it is really bothering me. Both from a standpoint of the dust that is kicked up in the air, but also because working out has become a real pleasure (almost meditative), and I find the noise irritating.

Since I am new to gyms I am not sure if this is common practice or if this guy is trying to get his work done during business hours so he can go home earlier. Does anyone else go to a gym where they vacuum while you are working out?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to go to Ballys late at night and they would vacuum while the gym was open. It is a pretty empty that late and of course a gym like 24 hour fitness would have to vacuum while they are open. So I've seen it before.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #3  

I've seen it once at my gym. I think it was during the day, even, not close to closing time. It was kind of irritating to me, as well, but I figured at least they were keeping the place clean.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I've only seen it a few times at my gym - mostly on days when they have an early closing, like NY Eve. Even then they only started like 15 or 20 minutes before closing. Mine is a family-owned, independent gym too. I'd speak the owner or manager and express your concerns. Because, I'll bet, if you have concerns, someone else does too! My main gripe at my gym is the LOUD heavy-metal music on the intercom. Given that most of the people working out are "plugged in" to either their own music or the cardio theatre, I'm not sure who's listening to the piped in stuff. If it's the front desk staff, they can certainly play it just at their desk, not throughout the gym and esp the changing areas. Grrrrr.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #5  
Nancy

I definitely think I am going to complain. If the owners are there tonight I will say something, otherwise I will drop them an email tomorrow.

Pat - I know what you mean about the music. The other funny thing where I go is that they have something like 6 cd's which they play over and over again. I am getting so sick of Billy Idol and Guns and Roses! Luckily if I turn my music up enough I can tune that out.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #6  

At my gym, the vacuuming is done in the morning, usually when I am there with other seniors. It doesn't bother any of us, as we know the cleaning lady works 9-5. What does bother me is the cleaner she uses on the floor, so I try not to use the rower or the mat when she is washing the floor.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #7  
one leg press at a time

The gym I used to work at had us vacuum during business hours in the aerobic studios during the day, but the weight rooms and machines were vacuumed around once the gym had closed for the evening.
I would definitlely say something to th manager or owner b/c if it bothers you, it mis likely bothering others as well that might not wish to complain.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #8  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default Same thing at my gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat
I joined the gym in my office building at the start of the year and have been working out there regularly ever since. It is a small family owned gym and very laid back. In the last week or so, they have hired a new guy who is there in the evenings while I go. The thing is, he is vacuuming during regular gym hours and it is really bothering me. Both from a standpoint of the dust that is kicked up in the air, but also because working out has become a real pleasure (almost meditative), and I find the noise irritating.

What really bugs me is when they vacuum the track while people are jogging and race walking. Especially when they have the cord strung across the track and we're tripping on it! Another annoying thing they do is dust the treadmills while we're on them. I realize they have a job to do, but I pay money for a service and I also work in an industry where customer service is paramount. It would just be nice to see my gym appreciate their customers a bit more. I have been meaning to complain to someone, but I have a feeling it would just fall on deaf ears.

By the way, I love your screen name! Homestarrunner is the BOMB!!!! Strongbad is my personal fav.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 AM   #9  
Nancy

The owner wasn't there tonight, but they were vacuuming again! I am sending an email right now, although I will try to be very nice about it. I definitely appreciate them trying to keep the place clean, but I just don't want them doing it on my time.

Libby - I always like meeting other Homestarrunner fans. The Cheat is obviously my favorite, but after that I would also say Strongbad. There is also a special place in my heart for Strongsad, as he kind of reminds me of me.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

It happens occasionally at my gym. One time an employee propped up treadmill after treadmill and vacuumed about 1/2 inch of dust from underneath each one. That was terrible.

What does bother me is when the person next to me finishes up and comes back to clean their machine with the spray bottle of cleaner and douses their machine as well as me with the spray. Especially as there are directions posted to not spray the machines directly, but instead to spray the towel as wipe it down...
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #11  
210 / 193 / 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas
What does bother me is when the person next to me finishes up and comes back to clean their machine with the spray bottle of cleaner and douses their machine as well as me with the spray. Especially as there are directions posted to not spray the machines directly, but instead to spray the towel as wipe it down...
My gym has just eliminated this problem by switching from spray bottles and towels to pre-moistened wipes. Perhaps you could suggest this to your gym.

NotTheCheat, I think you're doing the right thing by letting the owner know, in a nice way, of course. I certainly wouldn't want to be breathing dust during a workout, either.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #12  
Nancy

I wrote a note to the one of the managers and she told me they will stop vacuuming during regular gym hours - so I am happy!

My gym has those moistened wipes too - I can imagine I wouldn't enjoy getting sprayed with cleaner. Not nice!
Old 03-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #13  
with my mind on my monkey

My gym had wipes for about 2 days before they switched back to paper towels. It was great while it lasted! What irks me is that they never load the paper towel dispensers, just sit the rolls on top or on the floor below. And frequently they don't bother to stock them at all so there are only a couple of rolls of paper towels to go around the whole gym! As for the spray, it's as hit or miss as the paper towels - plus, they dilute it so much that it's antiseptic properties must be nil. Sometimes it's just water
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote