Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #1  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Unhappy What should I do?

I am having a fibriod removed on May 1st. I will be unable to work out at all for 2 weeks. I will be unable to lift any weights for 6 weeks. My doctor did tell me that if I am progressing well in my recovery after 2 weeks I can start walking again and using my elliptical, but nothing abdominal and no weights until mid June. I am rather afraid. I don't want to lose my zeal for working out. And I certainly don't want to lose muscle.

I am going to discuss this at length with my general practioner as well as my OBGYN, but I was wondering what I should do once I can walk/use my elliptical. I currently work out 6 days a week. 3 of which I strength train. I do cardio 6 times a week. How can I keep myself "in the game" so to speak to prepare myself for my recovery and lifting again? Any advice, help, etc... would be most appreciated. I have a membership to Bally's and I own a weider crossbow, an elliptical and a stability ball. I also have enough work out videos and dvds to open up a video store. I am just so scared that this will set me back.

Thank you for reading...
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can't stand a post with no responses
So here goes. Do what the doctor says. Since you're obviously more fit than the average bear, you will progress nicely.
Just about the moment you wake up from the anaesthetic a nurse is gonna drag you out of bed to stand up and take a few steps. You'll be able to meander gently after a couple of days.
There will be signs that you're over-doing things .... pain, bleeding.
I had an ablation last May. The first few days are a blow-out anyway ... you'll just be plain tired! They only gave me enough pain pills for a few days. I took them and slept.
Common sense helps. Listen to your body ... and to your doctor.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #3  

Absolutely listen to your doctor. If you rush things after surgery, you will pay the price for years to come.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #4  

For sure, do what the doctor says! You'll have time to get your body back to where it was after the 6 weeks is up. Just don't eat everything in sight when you can't exercise.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #5  
Mel

Listen to you doctor and your body. In my experience, most docs aren't used to patients who are serious about their workouts and in good physical condition. I had abdominal surgery 2 years ago and was hoisting myself around with my arms in recovery, much to the nurses' amazement. I started VERY light upperbody workouts on stable surfaces at about 3 1/2 weeks, and was walking and doing the elliptical within 2. BUT, my doctor mistakenly told me to "listen to my body and do what I felt that I could do". My body says go lift heavy metal. He was appalled to find out that I'd been doing squats and deadlifts by 4-5 weeks. I was lucky and didn't have any complications. In retrospect, I should have taken longer to rest.

If you start too early, you will delay healing. Your body needs to direct it's energy towards repairing what has been surgically damaged- it doesn't need extra repair work from heavy workout! Don't use this as an excuse to lay off exercise for months (it sure doesn't sound like you want to do that, tho ), but give your body a chance to heal

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. As I said in my original post, I am going to consult with both of my physicians before I do any kind of working out. I just wanted to know what you all thought I could do if I am limited to Elliptical and Walking only for 4 weeks. How long? How much distance, etc.... I just don't want to get bored. My doctors won't know what to tell me as far as that goes. I was just asking for advice. Of course I'm going to talk to my doctors. I know how extensive this surgery is, which is why I have been putting it off for almost 2 years. But if I have any chance at another baby, it's mandatory.

Mel, thank you so much for your perspective and advice. I really appreciate it. I know I'll get back on the horse soon enough. I just don't want to lose my zeal is all. You sound like you know exactly where I am coming from.

Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote