Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 01:53 PM   #121  

Hello again!!

Barbara: I sure don't know an easy way to get started. For about the first week or two I had to begrudginly force myself to get off my butt and do it. After that it kind of became routine and habit. I just didn't feel as good throughout the day without it. It really gets me up and going. It's good that you have more than one video. Variation is important to stay motivated. When I started exercising last year, I only had two TaeBo videos. After four months I was burned out and bored and just quit doing it. Now that I'm back on the wagon I'm beginning to accumulate more videos for a better variety. And WAY TO GO with quitting smoking. I still have yet to do that. It seems so ironic if not just plain stupid to be eating right and exercising to get in shape, but still smoke. However I just can't seem to let it go. Can I ask how you did it?? Did you wean off or quit cold turkey and did you use a patch or gum or anything?? Whatever the case..good for you!! I KNOW it had to be hard.
And Mooz is right about the kick in the butt. In fact, I love giving kicks in the butt. Here's one now.... *KICK* How was that??

I really went gung-ho today on the exercise. I did 30 minutes aerobics, the 8-minute Tae Bo, AND 10 minutes of strengthening exercise weights (fairly light ones, want to buy bigger ones). I impressed myself!! If I can keep this up, I should look pretty dang good at my hubby's boot camp graduation in May!

I'm off to the shower now. Hope everyone has a great day!!
Jen
Old 03-14-2002, 01:58 PM   #122  

Welcome Barb from NJ. I just looked at your profile and boy have you come to the right thread. I see we have another QVC Queen amoung us! Tell me are you Blonde? (the joke behind that question is that most of us here are blonde "out of a bottle" that is)
I bought the QVC TaeBo pack about a year ago but I returned it because I just couldn't do the moves. Then later I purchased the instructional tape just to give it another try and have been happy moving from that point to the basic tapes. If you did not get instructional tape I would suggest picking that one up because you get the correct form which I had to have to get the hang of it. Anyone agree or disagree with that statement? It may have been harder for me than the average person tho because I have two left feet..... Keep us posted on how it's going.

Anne: so how'd you do on the first trip trough the video? If you breezed through it, I'm really going to be ing. I thought it was tough at first, but is getting easier.

Jen: Still awake?

Patty: we are waiting with crossed fingers on your weigh in.

Gotta run.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:20 PM   #123  

Good Evening Ladies
I'm sorry I did not get to check in earlier, it was another busy day... this time I was trying to get some things done because i'm taking off tomorrow..I'm heading to Austin, TX to meet with 10 of my cousins who are coming from San Antonio, TX... we're having our 1st girls reunion, with no kids, no husbands. We had thought about having something in SA, but they wanted to get out of town. My cousins said if it was to convient the kids would be calling them the whole time. So me and my sisters are taking off tomorrow & driving down. It about a 4 hour drive.

OK, but about my weigh in... I gained .8 lbs... but i'm not too worried because I know I have stayed OP & i know wed. night i ate some pretzels that were pretty salty..I wasn't thinking how they would effect my weigh in. But here the hard part... road trips to me in the past have always been chips & candy in the car...it's was always a time for junk food... Then in the hotel, we were planning on visiting in one of the suites...so for that i'm bringing pretzels, lowcal chips, picante sauce (lowcal) & about 4 gals of water. I think one of my cousins was going to bring a veggie tray, I'll just have to stay away from the dips & liquor.

Welcome Barbara - My advise is exercise at your own pace. If it goes to fast or you don't know the moves, just walk in place. Also if you have the instructional tape be sure & watch it a few times.

Semo - I tried yoga a few years ago & it was really hard. But afterwords I felt much better. I also learned several stretching techniques.

Jen - Good for you on the exercise. I agree with you on the smoking, but I think you should focus on one thing at a time. If you try and do too much, I think you would be stressing yourself out too much... Focus on your eating & exercise, & after a while, you could focus on the smoking..

Anne - I'm glad your journaling, let's see how you do at next week's weigh in.

Well I have to run.. I need to do some laundry.. I'll talk to you all sunday nite...
Have a great weekend.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:17 AM   #124  
Mooz

Good morning ladies.
Well after two beautiful days it is wet and windy here in Ireland
I think it is harder to get motivated when the weather is miserable.
Semo: I found the Tae Bo tape 2 was not too difficult to follow and don't you be feeling too bad about that because it will take me a while to perfect the moves (like you and the others have) and I used to go to aerobics classes and then for the past 7 years linedancing twice each week so I am used to doing quick movements :wink:
Patty: You have a good day and you have done the right thing in preparing for what you eat and if you do have too good a day in the food department you will get right back on track as soon as you get home
Jen: Hope you had a better nights's sleep last night
What weight do you lift? I do weights at home but just about 10 minutes three times each week. I lift 7 pound weights. I started doing it after reading 'Strong women stay slim'
Barb: Hope you are getting motivated to start your Tae Bo - stay with us and you will as I find it really helps to call here every day and say how your getting on and find out how everyone else is doing. We are all in the same boat.
Anne
Old 03-15-2002, 09:11 AM   #125  
Mooz

Semo - sorry I keep talking about Tae Bo tape 2 but it is only Tae Bo tape 1 I am doing so that is the first one after the instructional
Talk to you all later
Anne
Old 03-15-2002, 09:30 AM   #126  

why hello!! You ladies are running circles around me. I wonder how many exercise points are burned up in typing 100 wpm??
LOL!!
I have been working 12 hours a day. We have to enter our patient info into our new computer system. And being the only ob-gyn practice in town, we are talking about 21,000 women. Mercy sakes! I
Welcome to all the people who popped in while I was at work or in bed LOL!!
Well, TGIF! I need to workout about 4 times this weekend just to make up for this week. I am trying to stay OP as far as food goes, but just am not getting my exercise. Does WALKING over to the Taco John's and getting my lunch count?
Well, I must be off, have to make my menu for the next two weeks, as tomorrow is grocery day.
I will talk to everyone soon!!
buh bye
Lauri
Old 03-15-2002, 10:50 AM   #127  

Happy Friday Morning. I was up at 5:00 this AM doing my TaeBo. (Told ya I was a morning person) and have already drank 1 liter of water. The weather is warm here but calling for rain later today and the weekend. Work is picking up and won't be long until we are working 7 days a week (I am so NOT ready for this).
I ate like a pig yesterday, don't know what up with that. I'm begining to wonder if it's because of all the vitamins that I am remembering to take. I've got to get control.

Patty, a girls weekend out, sounds like so much fun! Hope you have a great time. Three weeks on program WOOHOO! I tend to retain when I eat salty foods to but it will show up next week.

Lauri, OMGoodness I feel for you. It will be much better when you get everything up and running. ps. And I'm pretty sure typing burns 1,000 calories per hour.

Mooz, there has been a lot of stuff on TV about Ireland this week, most I think because of St Patty's day coming up. Prictures are beautiful. I've only been out of the US once and that was to Canada.

Jen, are you staying motivated. I have a vague memories of babies getting up at all hours of the night and how tired it makes you feel. But believe it or not someday you'll miss all that and it won't be long (they grow up TOO fast).

Barbara, how's it going. Don't give up and keep posting. Every small improvement will add up.

Back to work and will check back later. Have a OP day!
Old 03-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #128  

Default re: TaeBo

Hi everyone!

Jen: I quit cold turkey on Feb. 18th. I tried quitting several other times but didnt last long. Maybe this time I really wanted it. So far so good! I found an online support group for that and it helps immensely! You would be surprised. My Mother has all kinds of health problems..CHF being one of them. I think she is on about 9 or 10 days of no smoking..I got her to join the group as well. If anyone is interested let me know..I will give the info!

SEMO-- LMAO about QVC! I love them! No I am not a blonde...I am a redhead (lots of golden blonde in my hair, though). However, I am kind of ditzy at times like a blonde..LOL! I remember when I ordered the tapes, the instructional tape was offered to me, but I declined. SHOOT!!! I think I did that instructional one (part of it anyhow) time..I had borrowed it from the library! Ouch! My glutes really were sore just from a half hearted attempt at trying to learn it just once! I will have to get that tape I guess.

Patty--Have fun on your trip! I wish I had some female relatives to hang out with and get together every now & then!

How long has everyone been doing the TaeBo? Also, how long does it take for one to get "ADDICTED" to exercise?

I didnt do the TaeBo this morning when I got home from work and after grocery shopping, but I did do the Leslie Sansone indoor walking tape...BABY STEPS FOR ME I THINK!! Seriously, if my son is not here this weekend, I think I will give it a try tomorrow morning when I get home from work. I will let you all know if I do!!

Have a super day every one!

Barbara in NJ
Old 03-15-2002, 01:54 PM   #129  

SEMO: WOW!! You really are a morning person. I took the kids to grandmas last night so I could get some sleep. I slept in until 9:30 this morning, although I didn't get to bed until 1:30. It was just nice to sleep without little feet in my back at 4am!
I think the lack of sleep might help motivate me. Doing the exercise seems to be the only way i can wake up and get the blood pumping. I often just don't feel like doing it, but when I am done, I'm glad I did.

Barbara: I guess I am still just not ready. I have to get that way though. My husband HAD to quit when he went off to boot camp. I told him that I would quit too before too long. I'd better do it, cuz I'll feel terrible if he picks it up again because I didn't quit. I know I should do it for my own health. But I just don't WANT to yet. I will be looking towards doing it soon though. I would love to have the information for the support group. I believe that would be of huge help. After all, coming to this message board for support has been a phenominal help for my weight loss. You need to have people that KNOW what you're going through and are going through it with you. Friends and family try to be helpful and supportive, but when they are non-smokers, they just don't have any concept of what its like. Just like people who have always been naturally thin can't possibly understand what we go through. My email is [email protected]

1Day?? Laurie?? Where are you??? Come out, come out wherever you are!!

Anyhoo, gonna go do my exercise before the kids get back. It will be nice to do it without tripping over them or having to stop because somebody spilled juice on the carpet!

Oh yeah....BTW... I weighed in this morning and have lost 2 pounds for the week.

Talk at ya later,
Jen
Old 03-15-2002, 02:02 PM   #130  

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I didn't scroll far enough. There you are Lauri !!! Sure walking to taco Johns for lunch counts...as long as you don't eat the lunch!

Mooz: I am going to start with 5 pound weights that I picked up at Walmart last night. I ordered a video to help me along. I've never done anything with weights and I don't want to pull any muscles doing it wrong.

1Day: Good luck on the road trip. And yes, salty foods WILL affect a weigh in. I know I was eating a lot of fat free chips for a few days, but the salt made me retain a TON of water. It'll come off for your next weigh in.

OK...NOW I think I got everyone!!

Jen
Old 03-15-2002, 02:34 PM   #131  

Jen, I quit smoking about 4 years ago and I did it cold turkey too. The only advice that I can give you is to tell what helped me. I cut drinking straws about the length of a cigarette and chewed on them when I felt the urge to smoke. (it was quite a lot at first) Some days my jaws would actually hurt but it seemed to help get over the need to have something to do with my hands. Good luck, it's not easy but once you set your mind to it you can do it. I've heard that patches help, but again I've never tried them. Hmmm I wonder if the straws would help with eating?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:33 AM   #132  

SEMO: No go on the patches for me. My skin is sensitive and something in the adhesive set off a reaction. I broke out in hives. That was several years ago. I have tried just about all the popular methods, but failed. The one thing I haven't tried yet is that Zyban and I've heard nothing but good things about it. As soon as I can get health coverage, I am going to ask a doc about getting on that.

Anyhoo, after I wrote that last post I was all geared up to exercise. But when I got up out of this chair, my back tweaked again. I thought maybe if I moved around it would work itself out. After 15 minutes of akward aerobics, I decided that wasn't going to do it. I'm still hurting a bit. I REALLY hope it is better in the morning. I'm on a roll here!!

Well, I'll talk at ya all later. I'm am tired and off to bed.
G'nite,
Jen
Old 03-16-2002, 08:50 AM   #133  

ladies!!
Well, Jehari, I am glad you saw me, I was beginning to get a complex! I mean, I know I'm losing weight, but not so much that I was becoming invisible! LOL!!
Today is grocery day. I used to hate grocery shopping. Now it's kind of fun. Do you all like it? I plan my menu for two weeks and have at it. I have found lots of good low fat recipes here at this web site and all over the web.
oh, and as for being an expert at Tae Bo,, cough, cough. LOL!!
I don't EVER see that happening. But I figure as long as I have my a** moving in some form or another, I am doing ok.
Gotta go make my grocery list.
I am having Lamb Stew tomorrow for St Paddy's day. mmm mmm
Provided I can actually find Lamb out here in Beef country!
After I shop today I will have my bottom planted to watch NCAA basketball all day. I am a Hoosier at heart, but the Wyoming cowboys are worth watching this year!
You all have a great day!
Patty, whatcha doin? ;-)
Lauri
Old 03-16-2002, 08:54 AM   #134  

Geez, I almost forgot my original reason for posting. I started smoking in 1974 (I was only 14) and quit in 1988 when I found out I was pregnant with my older son. I quit cold turkey as well, but since I was pregnant I also gave up caffeine and beer, which were when I smoked the most. I also took up cross stitch and crochet to keep my hands busy. Plus when you are working on something like that you don't want to smoke and get it all mucked up. I DO have one giant alphabet sampler in my living room with a chocolate stain on it that only I know about LOL!!
Had an M&M thing going on at the time... Melted in my hand
later girls
lauri
Old 03-16-2002, 03:53 PM   #135  
Mooz

Hello ladies. I'm just sending you something that my son sent me by e-mail which makes you think about life.
Anne

TAKE HOLD OF EVERY MOMENT

A friend of mine opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up a silk paper wrapped package:

"This, - he said - isn't any ordinary package."
He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper and the box.

"She got this the first time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years ago. She has never put it on. Was saving it for a special occasion.
Well, I guess this is it. He got near the bed and placed the gift box next to the other clothings he was taking to the funeral house, his wife had just died. He turned to me and said:

"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion".
I still think those words changed my life.
Now I read more and clean less.
I sit on the porch without worrying about anything.
I spend more time with my family, and less at work.
I understood that life should be a source of experience to be lived up to, not survived through. I no longer keep anything. I use crystal glasses every day. I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if i feel like it.
I don't save my special perfume for special occasions, I use it whenever I want to. The words "Someday..." and "One Day..." are fading away from my dictionary. If it's worth seeing, listening or doing, I want to see, listen or do it now. I don't know what my friend's wife would have done if she knew she wouldn't be there the next morning, this nobody can tell. I think she might have called her relatives and closest friends.
She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels. I'd like to think she would go out for Chinese, her favourite food. It's these small things that I would regret not doing, if I knew my time had come.
I would regret it, because I would no longer see the friends I would meet, letters... letters that i wanted to write "One of this days".
I would regret and feel sad, because I didn't say to my brothers and sons, not times enough at least, how much I love them.
Now, I try not to delay, postpone or keep anything that could bring laughter and joy into our lives.
And, on each morning, I say to myself that this could be a special day.
Each day, each hour, each minute, is special.
Closed Thread