3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Question: Ab work (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/78476-question-ab-work.html)

melindam 03-09-2006 05:06 PM

Question: Ab work

I'm having a lot of trouble doing ab work on the floor, it's literally killing my back. I need lots of work on my abs, but it just hurts so bad. Does anyone know if that ab cruncher thing on TV where you sit and lean down on the thing, works? Or are there any other suggestions on how to do the work without permanently damaging my back. I use a mat now, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so any help would be appreciated.

Nori71 03-09-2006 05:17 PM

Back pain sucks! I did abs on a body ball when my back was acting up awhile back. It helped. They aren't very expensive - I got 1 for $12 or so at Target. (Although I've upgraded since then because I used it while pregnant and during labor and wanted one with an anti-burst system in it! I think it cost around $26?) GL!

healthy2b 03-09-2006 05:18 PM

I don't know how long you have been doing ab work...but when I first started with my trainer and didn't have enough muscles for stablization my back was killing me to try and do abs (situps) on a mat on the floor. So he had me use the workout bands (the strechy ones with handles) to help with support until I built up some muscles. It really helped. You hook the bands around something sturdy and hold on to the handles while you do the sit ups. You can help yourself up a little with the bands at first but the point is to leave some give in the bands so you are using mostly your own abs to pull yourself up. The bands are inexpensive and you can buy them at Walmart or any sporting goods store. You can even by different strengths in the bands and progress up to not using them at all. Good luck.

Firmgirl 03-09-2006 06:47 PM

Yuo might try standing ab work as well as planks, and abs on the stability ball. All of these take pressure away from your spine.
In time however, you will need to train the muscles of your back (spinal erectors) so that your spine will get stronger and the pain will go away or lessen in time. A good beginning move for the spinal erectors is a modified cobra pse- lie prone, arms should be bentunder your shoulders, nose should be to the floor, then push back slightly and begin to look up. Go only as far back as comfortable for you, exhale then come back to the floor. Your hands should be close and helping to support most of the upper torso until the spine is stronger, at that point, try lifting your hands from the floor, hopd 1 breath and then release to the floor again.

kykaree 03-10-2006 01:35 AM

Supermans are good for back strength too, with or without the ball. You go on all fours, like a dog (or cat in firm girl's case ;) )

Start by extending your right arm in front, then slowly extend your left leg straight out behind you, so your flying like superman. Keep that pose for 10 seconds, then switch arm and legs and work the opposite side. I usually do 20 reps of this (working each side 10 times) You can also do that on a stability ball.

Also to help your back, again on all fours, arch your back like a cat, hold it, then dip your back down and look up, this should be done slowly, then keep repeating, I do it 10 times. My trainer calls it the camel and giraffe. He laughs at me, coz when I do the neck extension bit I always yawn, and he calls me the sleeping giraffe.

I'd be inclined to do firmgirls cobra and then choose one of mine, and mix em about each time you do abs.

A fitball is a great investment, I use mine at the gym, and swear by them!!!

WaterRat 03-10-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Also to help your back, again on all fours, arch your back like a cat, hold it, then dip your back down and look up, this should be done slowly, then keep repeating, I do it 10 times. My trainer calls it the camel and giraffe.

:lol: Kylie, my yoga instructor calls this cat (arched) and dog! Whatever you call them, they feel really good! :)

shananigans 03-10-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterRat
:lol: Kylie, my yoga instructor calls this cat (arched) and dog! Whatever you call them, they feel really good! :)

That's funny, in my yoga class it's called cat/cow poses.

We also do the "Superman", but I've never heard it called that before.

Libby1972 03-11-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

1, 2 an excercise I'll do
3, 4 get down on the floor
5, 6 my shape I'll fix
7, 8 I hate this weight
9, 10 can I do it again?
I love this!

Firmgirl 03-11-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby1972
I love this!

thank you! Years ago I found it crosstitched and framed at a thrift sho...needless to say it hangs in my workout area for motivation.:)