3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Top Ten Exercise Myths (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/78440-top-ten-exercise-myths.html)

chickadee32 03-07-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geraghtydurango (Post 2821051)
Morning exercise gets your metabolism going to start your day. If you wait until later in the day to exercise, you may not have the time. If you exercise when your family is sleeping, you don't take away family time to exercise.
It may be dark and cold in the mornings, but you can go on with your day knowing that you got a workout in.

Gerry

I am MISERABLE when I work out in the mornings. I have no energy, hate every single second of it, and feel pretty crummy afterward. On the other hand, I have great energy when working out at night (and I do mean night - I usually go to the gym around 9:30/10pm), truly enjoy my gym time, and feel really good afterward.

Even if morning workouts have some benefits, evening workouts seem to work best for me. Everyone is different, and whatever keeps you exercising is the way to go.

MoniqueDiet 05-05-2011 10:04 PM

Thanks for sharing! :-)

~Monique

MagdalenaRaela 07-05-2011 11:09 PM

Thank you for this article, Meg! :D

You are incredibly inspiring to me! I'm 5'4" and currently wearing a size 18, but used to wear a size 24. I've had it drilled into my head for years that because I don't have a thyroid, I'll never be a "small girl" and I am through believing that!

I've just completed my first week back at the gym and have only worked out on the elliptical machine, but I meet with my trainer tomorrow and I'm ready to start my strength training regimen.

You have seriously given me more motivation and I am SO thankful! Thank you for showing me that a size 22 can get to a size 4. You're amazing! :hug:

reanbean 12-07-2011 06:43 AM

Wow! I felt like I was answering that cow question... Say “silk” five times. Now spell “silk”. What do cows drink?

Muscle turns into fat when you stop working out... yes...
NO! Oh ya, duh! that's not even physiologically possible! :o

jttw18 12-19-2011 04:31 PM

This is very interesting. I didn't know that it takes a long time to gain muscle (especially for females). I started weight training in August and I gained weight which I thought was muscle. Now I have no idea what I gained... hopefully it isn't fat.

These are all great myths that have been given the real truth. I need to keep these in mind when I continue to workout and do aerobic exercise.

Thanks for the truth!

damiilya 01-14-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadee32 (Post 3745900)
I am MISERABLE when I work out in the mornings. I have no energy, hate every single second of it, and feel pretty crummy afterward. On the other hand, I have great energy when working out at night (and I do mean night - I usually go to the gym around 9:30/10pm), truly enjoy my gym time, and feel really good afterward.

Even if morning workouts have some benefits, evening workouts seem to work best for me. Everyone is different, and whatever keeps you exercising is the way to go.

I'm the same, because first of all I don't have time to exercise in the morning because I have school (and no, I don't want to wake up earlier to exercise, it would be something like 5 a.m. >.<) and I feel sluggish exercising in the morning (on weekends and vacation). So I do it after school, after dinner, at 8.30 p.m. most of the times.

GatorDeb 02-28-2012 01:52 AM

Thank you for 3, 4, and 5. Those are some of the not-so-obvious ones that people fall for.

freelancemomma 04-01-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1839025)
Hi Babybee and welcome to 3FC! :welcome3:

I think you're misunderstanding a little bit about the so-called fat burning zone. We're talking about fat versus carbs as a source of fuel here, not fat versus muscle. At low intensities, you burn a higher percent of fat as fuel but fewer overall calories. At higher intensities, you burn a greater percent of carbs (not muscle) as fuel but a far greater number of calories (including fat calories) overall.

You actually burn the highest percent of fat -- almost 100%! -- while you're flat on your back in bed, but it's hard to argue that it's a great weight loss workout. :lol:

The fat-burning zone is a myth that was created by the cardio machine manufacturers who took that bit of science and misapplied it. My NASM personal trainers textbook devoted a whole subsection of the cardio chapter to debunking precisely this issue. But you don't have to believe me (or NASM) -- just google "myth of the fat burning zone" and see what you find. :)

The way to maintain and build your muscle mass while losing weight is to weight train (lift weights, resistance training). Low intensity cardio exercise won't preserve muscle any better than high intensity, unfortunately.

All the research that's coming out shows that high intensity interval training is the best cardio for fat loss. EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) is elevated for a much longer time than after slow, steady state cardio and the studies show a greater fat loss over time.

That's an excellent explanation!

F.

freelancemomma 04-01-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorgirl6 (Post 3137724)
If you measure one cup of fat (not that you would, ew) then it would weigh less than one cup of muscle because muscle DOES weigh more than fat.

I think when people say that "muscle weighs more than fat" they simply mean that muscle is DENSER than fat, which is the scientifically correct way to put it.

F.

MCGGM 11-14-2012 04:58 PM

Thank You!

Thank you Meg for the great words of advice! I will have to keep these in mind when im planning my next trip to the gym. :)

redreine 12-25-2012 04:06 PM

people arguing that muscle weighs more than fat
a pound is a pound is a pound
muscle takes up less space than fat
so it takes more than a pound of muscle to take up the same amount of space as fat

as for the argument of the best time of day to exercise
there have been many studies done to prove and disprove morning being the best time
i dont recall the link at the moment, but my favorite study discussed the fact that some of us are naturally morning people and some of us are naturally more nocturnal
the nocturnal people (like me) will benefit more from exercising in the evening
basically, if you are a morning person, youll benefit best from exercising in the morning, and if you are a night owl, youll benefit the best from exercising at night
i know when i believed the myth that you had to get up balls early in the morning to get the most out of exercising, i gave up QUICKLY so i could get some dang sleep!
when i read that study and started exercising when i wanted to, the lbs practically fell off on their own

Kscott 05-05-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jttw18 (Post 4142151)
This is very interesting. I didn't know that it takes a long time to gain muscle (especially for females). I started weight training in August and I gained weight which I thought was muscle. Now I have no idea what I gained... hopefully it isn't fat.

These are all great myths that have been given the real truth. I need to keep these in mind when I continue to workout and do aerobic exercise.

Thanks for the truth!

It's pretty typical that when you start working out that you will gain a couple of pounds. Personally I don't agree that it's all just water weight--I think some of it is muscle--especially if you're incorporating some muscle training into your workout. If it was just water weight you would lose it quickly. If you're working out regularly you will notice inches lost--versus what the scale is telling you. Don't get discouraged over the scale-(because you are replacing body fat with new lean muscle tissue. IOW--you're getting skinnier.) So about a month to six weeks into your regular exercise you should notice the scale cooperating with you. Calories in--versus Calories out is the key.

DanRae 05-29-2013 08:33 PM

Love the tips! thanks!

DanRae 05-29-2013 08:35 PM

Thanks for the additional info Meg!

Leanbodywomen 02-20-2014 07:10 PM

8. Wait to start your exercise program until you’ve lost some weight.

The one above stuck out to me.
It's like saying dont turn your car on just wait for the car to start my itself.
Sounds like the chicken and the egg syndrome where you can wait forever.

The best thing is to just get started now and track your progress on a weekly basis. Small improvements are more motivating then never starting at all.