Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 09:44 AM   #1  

Question Ultra Glide vs Pilates vs Total Gym?

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the products QVC and HSN sale? If you have one, what do you think of it?

I like the looks of the Ultra Glide; but weight limit is 250 & I'm 300. Does anyone else use it this size?
Old 07-29-2001, 01:34 AM   #2  

I have a Pilates machine, unfortunately I only used it a few times back when I bought it from QVC last September. I guess I don't have any answers; but I think I would rather have the total gym.
I can tell that the Pilates does work the abs and if I would start doing it consistently I would get somewhere.

Sorry I wasn't much help.

Much Luck,
Carmine
Old 07-29-2001, 01:05 PM   #3  

I own (and use regularly) the old style Pilates Performer from QVC and I love it. WIth my ongoing knee problems I have been in physical therapy more then I would have liked in the past few years and have used the professional/gym grade Total Gym and never felt the same intensity of work on it- and I have used it at more then one therapy location so I know it is not just the machine I was on. Most of the time I was working at level 6 or 7 on the Total Gym (except for very early on in my rehab after surgeries when my weight bearing was limited). Something about being at an angle I never felt my body posistion was as good on the Total Gym- and this was with a physical therapist standing over me and watching me- lol- I never felt as challanged to work my entire body on the Total Gym either. I like the laying flat with Pilates and the shoulder pads really help hold you in right place. I like that with the Pilates I can quickly change resistance- I hate having to reset the angle on the Total Gym if I want to have less resistance for upper body work then my lower body. I have never used a basic Total Gym but I can't immagine that it would be any better then their professional serries- I would think it would be made out of lighter materials/smaller cariage/etc. ANother personally quirk is that I get my hair caught in the Total Gym if I am not careful to clip it out of the way- I don't think I have ever done that on my Pilates that I can remember.

When I started on my Pilates I was 285 (now 233) so I know at least the model I have was sturdy enough. A friend of mine who weighed over 300 was able to use my Pilates without any problems too. I also bought the stand when it became available- I guess the new one comes with taller legs so that is no longer an issue. I think HSN also has a Pilates machine (Karen Voight is the person who advertises it there)- it was on the other night for 1/2 hour in the wee hours of the morning- I don't remember the price but I am sure you can call and get it. I am not sure I would like her teaching style for this type of exercise- some of the moves she was demonstrating were not comfortable to do- and like I said I have been doing Pilates for a few years and have advanced somewhat on it (having had 4 knee major knee surgeries has slowed me down a lot on progressing unfortunetly though I do many of the intermediate moves and some advanced). The instructor on the Pilates equipment for QVC is very relaxing and good at telling you correct body positions and telling you to relax parts you may be tempted to tighten (I swear she can see you tightening your neck and shoulders sometimes ).

Before I had been on the Total Gym I had wondered if I made a mistake since the Pilates cost more (back then it was nearly $400) but I am very happy with my decision. It is one form of exercise I have continued to do- it has changed and adapted with me over time and continues to meet my fitness needs. I do try to do some sort of aerobic exercise in addition to the Pilates a few times per week to keep fit overall.

Just my opinion...
Christine

285/233/160
Closed Thread