Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #1  

Default max heart rate?

I have a paper stating that my max heart rate is 183 bpm. A goal heart beat in intense cardio would be 153 bpm..
My question is: Is it safe to be in that range 153-183? Reason asking is I was monitored the other day on a treatmill @ 179bpm. Doctor said everything looked great, but I was really wondering if 179 bpm was truely ok. Seemed a bit high, but again Im not no cardio exercise expert.
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  
Meg

Max heart rate is generally figured by subtracting your age from 220. So I'm guessing that you're 37? (220 - 37 = 183)

You want to be working somewhere between 65% and 90% of your max heart rate when you're doing cardio exercise. Between 65 and 75% is considered low intensity, 75 - 85% is moderate intensity, and 85 - 90% is high intensity.

For you, if you're indeed 37 and your max heart rate is 183, low intensity exercise would be between 119 and 137, moderate would be between 138 - 155, and high intensity would be between 156 and 165.

With that being said, these numbers are averages and generalizations, based on your age and not your level of fitness. It's not dangerous to be above 90% of your max heart rate, but it's not necessary in order to get the cardiorespiratory benefits of exercise. I don't think that you would want to - or be able to - work at 179 for a sustained period of time.

The less fit your cardiorespiratory system is, the harder it has to work to get oxygen to your tissues when you exercise. That's why people tend to have very high heart rates when they first start exercising. As your heart becomes conditioned, you'll probably find your heart rate dropping - both your resting pulse and your heart rate while exercising.

I'm no expert either, but if your doctor thinks your heart rate is OK, it sounds good to me.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #3  

It really depends on how you feel at that heart rate. If you're tolerating it then it's likely OK for you. If you feel faint, short of breath, dizzy or unable to form a sentence (with puffing) during exercise, then you're not tolerating the heart rate and should slow down. The problem with consistently working at the top end of your heart rate range is that it can lead to overtraining. Sounds like all is well, so enjoy your exercise.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #4  

Meg, no Im not 37! They must have made a mistake?
Im 29 years old.. However the case, Im just excited someone explain the process to me.
From calculating my max heart rate truely would be 191 right?
Does that rate of low, med, and intense still apply or does it change? lol Id love to write that down so I know where I stand.

No side effects really.. The only thing I have is a irregular heart beat. Which was called sinus tachycardia.. but nothing as far as effects to my body no. Unless I push myself to far. My bp is loving it! It is staying in normal range in extreme excersise.. Huge improvement for me so its really exciting!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #5  
Meg

Jewelz - sorry about the mistake about your age! You're still such a sweet young thing.

I didn't realize that you have some heart issues. It sounds like perhaps the number that was given to you was based on a treadmill test? If so, that's a LOT more accurate than the 220 minus age formula, which is just a guesstimate for most people. So YOU should definitely consider 183 as your maximum.

But the intensity levels that I posted are still accurate, based on that 183 max. The low, medium, and high ranges won't change, because I figured them using a 183 maximum heart rate.

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully! It really is exciting to see how exercise can improve our health, isn't it?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

How was your max heart rate determined? Meg's formula just gives you a general idea of your max (and I've also seen the formula 226-age for women too). If the number you have was determined by physical exercise/testing, it may well be more accurate for you than a standard formula. Lots of people have significantly higher and lower max heart rates than standard formulas give you.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #7  
Meg

Only Me - we were posting at the same time. Great minds think alike, eh?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #8  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

See, this is why I love coming to 3FC -- I learn something new every session! Is the info on how to calculate heart rate stickied anywhere? If not, it should be.

Thanks, Meg!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #9  
Meg

What a good idea, Lena!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #10  
Losing for Life!

From all of the reading I have done the best way to determine if you are working in your correct zone is how are you breathing. I hate to take my pulse and try and figure out if I am in the right zone. I just monitor my breathing and If I am able to talk comfortably I know I need to kick it up a notch. You should be able to say 3-5 words without trouble but not hold a conversation if you are in your target zone.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #11  

Meg, thanks I guess age is just a number anyways.. Its what you feel like inside I think.
I will indeed stick with the 183 then.

The nurse didn't tell me how it was determined. The paper lists my weight and my age Im not sure if they can determine that from those factors or not.

As far as jogging goes... I know when I over do it I stumble for words and pant very badly. I need to keep reminding myself to breathe slowly when I jog. In the nose out the mouth.. lol I tend to breathe in the mouth and out the mouth.
And your right you really need to listen very closely to your body and what it is saying. Knowing your limits is very important.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I think it's fine to breathe in and out the mouth while jogging. Which ever orifice will get the air into the lungs faster! I've read one recommendation for a 3-2 breathing pattern--three steps for breathing in, 2 for breathing out. It you can't maintain that, you're going too fast. And it gives you something to think about while you're moving along.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #13  

Thanks, Onlyme..
That would be a great base line (as you mentioned: If you cant maintain that, your going to fast).
I think I will try that method and see how well it works for me.. If I cant Ill just stick with the in and out of the mouth! lol
I guess its been old tales Ive heard about breathing techniques. Either case your right.. It does get to the lungs

Anyways, I just wanted to post a thanks before my post got buried.