Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #1  
Cutieshirl

Wink Low blood pressure?

I have been feeling rotten lately after I exercise, always make sure that I eat about an hour or less before I do cardio, but when I am finished, I feel like throwing up, and am really lightheaded to the point where I have to sit and close my eyes. Finally went to the dr because I thought my bp was high, but he tells me it is really low..........90/60 and that I should increase my salt intake....not what I really want to do to hold water, but he said that taking meds would only be good for about 2 weeks and then it wouldn't be effective anymore.....my ? is does anyone else have this issue and any suggestions would be welcome. He says that my thyroid meds are not an issue(hypothyroid med)
cutieshirl40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have low blood pressure, too, but it usually only manifests itself when I get up from a seated or prone position. My doctor said low blood pressure is a good thing, but if the lightheadedness bothers me, then to increase salt. Since I already eat more than enough salt (I'm one of those people who salts before tasting), and, like you, I don't want to retain water, I ignored that advice.

What are you eating prior to workouts? Are you drinking water before, during and after your workouts? I eat ff cottage cheese, which is easily digestible and also contains plenty of sodium, and I drink two cups of water prior to working out and then drink while I'm working out and after. While I don't know if any of these things might be helpful for you, this is what I do and I don't have the same problems you do with exercise although I have the same blood pressure reading.

Hopefully someone else has some suggestions, too.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3  

I think you're working too hard. Monitor your heart rate throughout the workout and don't go above the training zone. Roughly, that 220-your age and multiply by 0.8. Good luck.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #4  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Sheila, I drink a lot of water before during and after workouts too.. it seems to help...

I've also started eating a little something an hour before I workout too.. I don't know if that has made a difference or not since I still can't seem to manage working in morning workouts during the week.. I have to be up at least 2 hours before I can consider working out.. I'm wondering if I will ever be able to work out a regular morning exercise routine.

90/60 is low.. but not dangerouly low or anything unless it gives us problems.. That is exactly what my normal bp is.. I also don't go to lengths to limit salt.. I don't go overboard.. but I don't cut it out on purpose either.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote