Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/See Ticker/145

Height: 4'11"

Default Ever just feel sore and NOT wanting to work out?

I am there today.. I have this real guilt problem about taking any days off.

Someone needs to slap some sense into me. It is not as if I am working out 2 hours a day or something, just 30-60 depending on the day.. but my muscles are just super achey today. I guess it could be because I haven't worked out in about SIX YEARS and just started up again.. Just tell me it's okay to take a break and I'm not going to gain 2 lbs. this weekend by skipping a day?
hotmama2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #2  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

There is nothing wrong with taking it slow at first to wait for your body to adjust to the new demand you are putting on it. If you are feeling extra sore, take a day off. Just make sure you are committed the next day.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Also, you'll learn to appreciate that soreness, honest. It's a sure sign that you're working those muscle.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #4  

Sometimes when I feel like that, I take a day of "active rest". That means something active without being a workout. Usually that means an extra walk with my dog. It also helps soothe sore muscles to move them gently. Also, mentally it's nice because I've still been active so I don't feel guilty.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
Also, you'll learn to appreciate that soreness, honest. It's a sure sign that you're working those muscle.
I'm moving those mucles extra hard! I'm sore too I took an active rest day today and will get back into the swing of things tomorrow.
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #6  
Determined to succeed.

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5' 3"

"Active Rest" works for me too. My muscles feel better when they get used -- so if your muscles are feeling sore, take a brisk walk on the treadmill or outside.

I personally find then when I miss a day, it may turn into two, then three, then a week... I know that I have to do *something* no matter how easy it may seem (at least Monday thru Friday). I have to remind myself constantly that I'm a beginner at this whole "fitness" thing and to push myself, but not too hard lest I get discouraged/injured and quit.

Keep going hotmama, you can do it!
Gracenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #7  

You need a rest day once a week, that said, you still need some activity on that day, as the other posters have said. I often swim on my rest days. Or I go for a country walk (I live in the country so that helps!)

Now I have been exercising a year it makes it easier to rest as I know I will go back to the gym the next day, but in the beginning I was terrified of taking a day off.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default Yup, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Now I have been exercising a year it makes it easier to rest as I know I will go back to the gym the next day, but in the beginning I was terrified of taking a day off.
I can understand this. This is where I jumped the rail a year ago...I went to my brother's graduation...said I was on vacation and never came back!
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
You need a rest day once a week, that said, you still need some activity on that day, as the other posters have said. I often swim on my rest days. Or I go for a country walk (I live in the country so that helps!)

Why is it, do you think, that we are so terrified of taking that day off? Well, I ended up going on the treadmill and burned off over 400 calories.. getting in a good sweat. Now I am snacking on raw peppers and carrots.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default 1 Trip

We are terrified because it takes dedication and work to make us go. It's not something that is easy like eating!

I was so overwhelmed with making myself go 3 times a week, I gave myself permission for the beginning to go once a week. I walk a lot at work and I take 5 hour grocery trips on the weekend. SO I get something, but I need to do more. I'm not ready and I know it so I'm not beating myself up.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #11  

When your muscules are sore it means you have worked them, and your at the very beginning of getting some results, keep with it, even if its just a light walk on a tredmill, or a few laps in a swimming pool, our doing well :-)
Chelseagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM   #12  

Rhonda, when I get sore like that, I do a short, quick walk on the treadmill and then I make sure to stretch extra good. I usually feel better after that.

I am proud of you, girl! <hugs>

*~*Molly*~*
MollyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBlue
Rhonda, when I get sore like that, I do a short, quick walk on the treadmill and then I make sure to stretch extra good. I usually feel better after that.

I am proud of you, girl! <hugs>

*~*Molly*~*
Awww Molly, thanks! Great to see you on the *other* side!