Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Question Need 10K training advice

Hi - I am hoping to do a 10K near the end of March/April and would like advice from anyone who has done one. What time do I need to shoot for to just be average - not the very last one in?

Thanks!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did my first 10k in about 68 minutes and my second in 59, and I was nowhere near last in either of them.

And, even if you are last, you still did better than the people who couldn't be bothered to get off the sofa and enter
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #3  
Getting back on track

Thanks Helen, that's a good point!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #4  

Exactly what I was going to say-you're winning by being out there. I do 10K's fairly often, and I see ranges from 45 min (for the pro's) to around 90 minutes. Are you doing a gradual training program? Often the run organizers will post a training plan fro beginners to follow with approximate finish times. Also look up the Runner's World website, there are some plans on there for beginners 10K. Good Luck and enjoy your race.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #5  
Getting back on track

Thanks Boarderchick - I started walking about 4 miles a day a couple of months ago, and have added in a 7 mile day here and there. Then I started adding in jogging for intervals of the 4 miles, so I need to up that a good bit. I can do 4 miles in about 50 minutes right now so I am working on shortening that.

I could use some advice on appropriate breathing during running/jogging if anyone can tell me where I might look for that info.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #6  

You're rocking then!! 10K is only 6 miles, roughly speaking (Only, ha ha) Even right now, you'll not be the last in for the race. However, if you want to improve on that, then usually new runners start with a 1 min walk/1 min run type thing, and then gradually increase both distance and proportion of running vs. walking time. there are exact programs on alot of runners websites.

Most important is to avoid pushing the distance/intensity too quickly, that sets you up for overuse injury. You should be able to talk (maybe not comfortably but no gasping) Also, make sure your shoes are appropriate for your gait and foot type, and change them when you need to. It's worth the extra $$.

Breathing is timed with strides, and is a bit individual. For example inhale for 3 strides and exhale for 3 or whatever feels comfortable. As long as it's controlled and not hyperventilating.

You're off to a stellar start! Take care, and you'll have a great run.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #7  
Getting back on track

Boarderchick - thanks so much for all the info! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #8  

No worries.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #9  
playin' for keeps

All of that is awesome advice. I did my first 10K last summer in 79 minutes. I was nowhere near last, and it was a lot of fun. I'm doing my 2nd on Sunday and judging by the times I've seen from the last race, I'm going to come in dead last. I'm dreading it, but I'll let you know if it's the Worst Thing Ever. The important thing is getting out there and improving over time. Sounds like you're right on track.

Oh - and one more tip... If you're used to running alone, you're almost guaranteed to get caught up in the crowd and run your first mile or 2 much faster than you're used to. It makes the back end of the race much harder. So, try really hard to keep your own pace. Time it, if you need to, to make sure you're not going too fast.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #10  
Getting back on track

Talking

Thanks Paula -

Let us know how it goes Sunday! Good luck!!! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and you'll get a great sense of accomplishment just for finishing it.

See that also tells me that depending on which 10K you're in, there will be more pros in some than others. Maybe I'll luck out and find one with lots of novices like me!

Have fun!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #11  

Thanks for this thread, I am doing my first one in June, and am likely to come stone motherless last, but I don't care, as long as I finish!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

You won't come last, I won't let you!!!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #13  
Getting back on track

Kykaree - If you have lost 62 pounds - you can do anything!! Congratulations on doing so well!! Maybe we can give each other tips that we learn as we train for our first 10Ks! Glad to know I am not alone in this!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #14  
Running Wild

i have my first 10K end of February. I did a 5 miler in december in 61 min, but now i have improved and hope to do the 6miler in 66min. we'll see.

i did just as someone above mentioned when i started running. running for like 3 min. walk 2.. and gradually increased to where now I can run 4 miles ALMOST with no walking, and if so its like 30-45 sec. I have a 5K tomorrow (during the Houston Marathon) and am hoping for 33 min...

in october i plan to start training for the half marathon in jan 2007!!!!!!!!

keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Depends on the race. You can probably look up last year's results. The last 10k I ran in I was in the top 1/3 of women with a time of about 52 minutes. The one before that though, I was near the last with a time of about 53 minutes. It really depends on the field in the race.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote