Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Exclamation Exercise Balls

I've never used one before...but I think if I learned how to use one, it'd really give my workouts that extra umph. (I've seen them used for ab workouts but I've also seen them used for the upper body as well).

But my question is how much should I spend on one? I certianly don't need a top of the line model because I'm not even sure I'll enjoy using one -- but I don't want junk either.

Any suggestions?
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #2  

I'm in the UK, so I won't give prices. You really need to buy a good one, the thing is supporting your whole body weight, and they can puncture, so it is worth buying a good quality one.

I use one in the gym, I don't own one.............YET, I really need one, because I love it!!!! It's the one thing I am good at, I seem to have quite good core strength and balance, which suprised everyone, me and my trainer!

There are so many exercises you can do on them. Have you got dumbells?? There are a range of things like tricep dips, bicep curls and chest presses that you can use the ball for, like a weight bench, with the added bonus that you are working your core stability abs and back muscles at the same time.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #3  

No! I haven't purchased any dumbells, but I want to...just wasn't sure what to start out with. 3 lb? 5 lb? 2 lb would be too little, right? 10 lbs...maybe too much? 8 lb maybe?

Are there any good websites (perhaps here?) where I can find both excercise ball exercises and dumb bell excercises?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #4  

I think I got mine for around $25 Canadian. Really, really use it alot and I do not regret the $ I spent on it. I use it for all over strenghening, and I can target every body part. I use it with hand weights.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #5  

Any of you with kids -- younger kids? I just know that the kids will see mama's ball and think it's their ball and want to play with it. And of course they probably couldn't use their balls in the same way mom will use her's right? Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #6  

I used to just let them play with it, with supervision of course. I would hide it when I couldn't be there with them.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #7  

Yeah...I guess I never thought about that.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 269/243/145

I think I paid $27 for mine at Scheels Sports. I know you can get them cheaper at Walmart but you can only get the 65cm one and as I am so short had to go with a smaller one. I also have two kids, they play with it when i have it out and like stated before if I don't want my kids to play with it I just put it away. Hope that helps.
Jen
gingerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #9  

I hope this is ok to post this link it's got animations of the exercises

http://www.aussiebodies.com.au/tools...ia/default.htm

I use 3lb for fitball exercises, because I find any heavier and I have too much to think about and my land on my bum!

I don't have kids, just a cat and I can keep her out of the storage room!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #10  

I've saved that link if the mods wish to delete it.

BTW, somehow, I don't think locking kids up in a storage room is acceptable Seriously, though...providing I'm patient...I could really use this as a chance to get the kids moving, too.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268(2003) 186/182/146

Height: 5'5"

I just bought one of these from Canadian Tire on Saturday for 8.99 and I LOVE IT!!!! It came with a DVD also to show the proper way to do it. Who would have thought I'd enjoy exercise?!? lol
getncontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #12  
~Determined~

S/C/G: 238/238/153

Height: 5'7"

Thank you so much for posting that link. I got one for Christmas and only had the exercises from the DVD that came with it but wanted more.
MissyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #13  

Frugal, I have kids and I had to put my ball away because my two year old keeps trying to climb on it... I've brought it to the elementary school where I meet with some women in the evenings to do pilates as a group.
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #14  

You can get one at wal-mart for about $13. That's the cheapest I've seen if u buy one physically at a store instead of over the net. Online I was looking for one myself like a week ago and saw one for $11 at wal-mart's site. Comes out pretty much the same with shipping I guess. There are others that are around $16 or $25 and some come with a video. When buying one take a few things into account. One, will the ball hold my weight, sometimes the only way to know is to get it unfortunately. Two, does the ball come with a pump, and/or other accessories like a mat or blocks or those handles attached to the ball. Third, will u need to deflate the ball after every use or can u keep it inflated all the time. If u need to deflate get one with a good pump that inflates on its own and deflates it too. U could end up pumping madly with a hand pump or worse with ur breath, so watch out. Places u can also look for this ball: Wal-mart. Sears, Academy, Target.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #15  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Ever since my computer chair fell apart I've relegated my ball to be my interim chair... and it's stayed there for 6 months - but I heard even just sitting on that helps with balance (which in turn, has a slight effect on keeping your butt muscles toned and back aligned)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote