Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #1  
Egy Kis Lany

Default DDR - Dance Dance Revolution

DDR is a game that started in Japanese arcades and is now available to play on at-home video game consoles or your PC.

I play DDR on my PlayStation2.

Instead of having a hand-held controller, you have a floor pad with arrows on it and the game plays music (usually annoying Japanese pop or techno, some annoying american pop and techno *smile*) and arrows scroll up on the screen to the beat of the music. Your task is to hit the arrows with your feet at the same time that they reach the top of the screen. There are a lot of different songs and there are different levels -- so I find that I can always be getting a sweat when I play.

I LOVE IT!! It's FUN!!!

Does anyone else DDR?
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #2  

I bought the game about a month ago to use on the Gamecube. I haven't even touched it yet. My kids have played it and they liked it.

I bought it so that I would get some exercise as well as my kids. Guess it's time for me to try it out.
buttercup160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #3  
Egy Kis Lany

You should!
Try not to get discouraged... it's hard to get into it at first (especially if you're watching your kids and it seems like they can do -anything- and that you'll never get there...), but after a while you'll get better -- and you can see your score improve, so that's a nice way to track it.

Have fun!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #4  

hmmm...is this thing expensive....also can u just plug it into the tv...or u need to buy a game system....

the DDR revolution has me all excited....woooo hoooo...i wanna dance

cheers
Juhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #5  
Cynical RedHead

My niece has the game and 2 mats. I have only played a few times with her. I am going to my sister's for Christmas Eve and I am sure we will play then. I think it is a blast I can only go on "light," which is a pretty slow level. My sister does it all the time with her daughter and can usually only do "light" as well. My niece and her 1/2 brother do it on "heavy." It is so cool to watch them. Especially when they are side by side on the mats - it's like watching the dancers in a music video they are so coordinated!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #6  

Yeah you need to buy a game system for it. PS2 Game cube or xbox

The mats are 19 dollars at best buy and you can buy the game used for 29 dollar at eb games.
Its a great game and if you were to buy a game system to play the game. Buy PS2 it's the best and the original!
shutupcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #7  
Egy Kis Lany

They **do** have a version for the PC where you buy a floor mat with an adaptor (probably for a USB, but I'm not sure) and I think you can download songs and things for free, but that would take some research.

Traditionally, though, you need a TV, a video game console (PS2, XBox, Gamecube), the game, and then at least 1 dance pad (you can get cheap ones for $15-25, and *nice* ones for about $100, and SUPER NICE ones for about $300...).

It first came to at-home gamers on the regular PlayStation, but those games are actually becoming a sort of 'collectors' item, so they're hard to find.

I like the PS2 b/c I also use it as my DVD player for the living room.

I play on Standard Level, but am slowly working up to some heavy levels at times.... (the order is Beginner, Light, Standard, Heavy).

SO MUCH FUN! And fun to watch, too, I envy Fish having some experts around to gawk at!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #8  

I actually played at an arcade about 2 months ago. I loved it so much I think I spent 15 bucks playing it over and over again. But sadly 1 month before that my husband had sold his PS2 to EB Games for some extra cash. So it was too late to buy the game. I'm looking into buying a PS2 (used) so I can do that because it really gets you going. I lose my breath a little but I don't care because it's so much fun. I'll just keep my inhaler next to me.
conner.ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #9  

I DDR almost everyday!!! When I first started, I lost over 20 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks!!!! Now I have cut back and DDR 3 days a week and walk 2 days a week. Isn't it fun though???!!! I got DDR Extreme & DDR Extreme2, I am looking for the first DDR and am saving money to get that Mario DDR.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #10  

Default I am Addicted to DDR

Hi All,

I love DDR I have been playing for a few months now. I am not that good, I can hold my own the the Light level in DDR extreme 2. I also love the workout mode which helps me keep track of how long I have been playing. The longest I have gone was 2 hours I think. I also love playing with friends, it is
a good way to get friends to workout with you while having some fun. I also stretch before and after and I also try to add hand movement when possible to increase my activity level. I would reccommend it to anyone who is looking to add some variety to their excercise routine!

RainbowBrite

RainbowBrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #11  

DITTO!!!!!!!! This is a fun way to get motivated...I haven't DDR'd for a couple days now...having headaches due to stress. But on Monday, I'll be back on it!!

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #12  
Vegan in Training

how much does one of those gaming consoles cost?

I don't have any, only a laptop with less than enough memory. Any suggestions on getting started?
Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:32 AM   #13  

When I played DDR for the first time, I was instantly hooked on it. I just got the game for my Xbox and even though I'm terrible at it, the game still makes me get a work out. I plan to play it every day of the week for at least an hour.
Starscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #14  
Egy Kis Lany

Mina-
I suggest a PS2 (used, or wait for the new PS3s to come out, and then the PS2s will be on sale).
You can get a dance pad for about 20 bucks, and you should be able to find a used game for that much, too.
It's expensive if you plan to use it only for DDR, but if you also need a DVD player then it's easier to justify it to yourself... and also if you either ike to play other games yourself or live with somone who does.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default DDR without the game system...

If you go here:

http://www.ddrgame.com/dadareddrtvp1.html

They have a version of DDR that plugs directly into the TV - great if you want just DDR, and not any other games, and you're not too picky about what songs are there.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote