Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #1  

Default Upper abdominal help...

Im not one for whining when it comes to exercising, however I need some idea's. My jeans are all messed up in sizes. My waist needs bad trimming.
I decided about 3 days ago to try something on a old table we have. Having hubby to spot me of course by holding my ankles down but dead lifts hanging half the body over. I forget the name of it.. Anyways, I do 1 set of 25. Can anyone tell me if Im just wasting my time on these?
I have also been doing alot of scrunches but read its not as good was walking to help trim the waist. So Ive been back to walking again.
My waist to fit my hips need to be down to (I think it was 26-27 inches) to where Im 32.
Its really bothering me cause Im getting all kinds of comments Im a sloppy dresser (pants) and its not that.. its the odd sizes.
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #2  

It sounds like that would be a good idea for trimming your waist. I have the same problem though. I do crunches daily, but I don't really see any results. This is my main problem area. I'm going to try walking more as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good abdomen workout to really tone those muscles?? If so I would really appreciate any suggestions!
sweetn'crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

"Spot reducing" isn't really possible (although I REALLY wish it were cuz I hate my little belly pooch!). But you can definitely strengthen/tone those areas. One of my favorite ab exercises is incline crunches on a bench at the gym. Adjust the bench so it's at about a 45-degree angle, hook your feet under the little foot-holder thingy, and lie down with your head toward the floor. Then, just do regular crunches. You'll get more of an ab workout than with floor crunches because you're working against gravity. I also LOVE having my trainer throw a medicine ball at me while I'm lying on the floor. You need to kind of "crunch up" to catch the ball and then throw it back. But (obviously) you need a partner for that. It goes so quickly -- and you're concentrating so hard on catching/throwing the ball -- that you don't even realize you're working your abs.

Hopefully the trainer-Mods will add something else (I'm not an expert like them ).
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Others can attest to this as well but Bellydancing really trims the waist. It works the abs and obliques (along with everything else) and burns calories. I've lost 2 inches around my waist since I started and can really feel my obliques getting stronger. Try some videos. There are several threads about them!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #5  

Was going to repond to this last night.. but something came up and now leaving for a appt. lol
So I will try to respond..
Medicine ball first thing.. Those things are pretty neat looking. You seen the ones with the handles on the sides?

There is a life center that is the only thing that is close to me. I dont know what all they have but they do have a pool and treadmills. However, the cost per year is 300.00!! Im going to talk to my doctor Im pretty sure my mamal is going for half price through her doctor. Maybe he cant get me in to tone up.. lol Nice thought anyways (but willing to ask).
Never seen a bench that could incline or decline like that. I looked it up online. The bench I have was just for weights (with no delcine to it).
So maybe Ill look into those options..
I already to pilaltes and hasnt seem to help me out. Even the 8 minute abs. Guess its not really there to target waistline.. just the abs.
Thanks for the help girls. I will take notes of even the video's.

I just wonder though is there a point where the body stops toning on its own?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Misty first and formost you cannot spot reduce with specific exercises. Those exercises will strengthen the muscle underneath, but what needs to go is the FATon top of that muscle, pure and simple. The best thing you can do is eat clean, meaning, low fat, unprocessed foods, lean proteins with lots of vegetables and some fruits... There's a saying "Abs are made in the kitchen" when and until your food is super clean and the fat melts off, you won't see much ab muscle.

INTENSE cardio, not a LOT of cardio but INTENSE where you get your metabolism burning that fat works. HIIT "High Intensity Interval Training" is when you do intervals on a treadmill or outsides, for example running for a minute, walking for a minute, then running faster for a minute, walking for a minute, and so on, for 20-30 minutes... This really burns fat!

Doing weight training will make muscle and muscle burns fat faster too.

I hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Kate - you can do the medicine ball thing where you just throw the ball UP and then catch it at the top of the crunch. So start in a crunch position with arms stretched up, above your head, so you're holding the ball above your head, then crunch, keeping your arms straight, at the top of the crunch, toss the ball up, then catch it, then roll back down and repeat! You can also do it with a regular basketball so that it takes your mind off holding at the top of the crunch!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #8  

Wow, frustrated!! That sounds complicated lol
Ilene~ thank you for info. I didnt know eating clean could do that but I guess I dont do much reading either. It would be nice for a change in my diet anyways. I dont think I have ever focused on low fat.. I already do the lean meats and veggies and fruits.. but I also eat other things too.. So! Its not all unprocessed lol.. I will give that a try cause right now I'm very eager for a smaller waist.

I'm gonna try to pick up running. Running is the only thing that I "truely" find that increases my heart rate and fast!
So for my goal now, clean eating and the intense cardio: the running, walking (slow then faster)..
I will also add the weights with this routine..
Old 12-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #9  

That table thing sounds a bit dangerous for your lower back. I think a medicine ball would be safer, and you could do this without the help of your husband! Otherwise, I completely agree with Ilene, she posted an excellent answer.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote