Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #76  

3 miles on Sat. rest Sun and 2.5 today. I had a gain at WW today ERRRRR the leader said I am not eating enough points I have been a t a plateau for five weeks and I am needless to say feeling unbelievably frustrated and depressed but I will persevere through this dag nab it!
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #77  

33.5 for the month so far!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #78  

My bones are feeling a little better so I did 2 miles with Leslie today, and then some upper body work with Karen Voigt. So I'm at 23 miles.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #79  
I CAN do it!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Hey All,
Wondering just how these groups work? I'd like to get into walking or running, maybe one before the other...do we log our progress, set goals and the like?
Anyways, I started walking today. Did about 1 hour of fast walking with friends...I am trying to aim for at least 2 times a week of that....
Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Megan
MeganMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #80  

Monday, 10/24, I did Leslie's WATP 4 mile express super challenge.
So, I'm up to 58 miles of my 75 mile goal!!!
I'm off to do today's walk!
Have a great day everyone and keep walking!

KG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:27 PM   #81  

Three miles today so 36.5 Yeah!!!! Megan everyone just logs what they do. It is great motivation. Welcome and happy walking.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #82  

Yes, Welcome Megan. I'm new too, but absolutely love the accountability of this board. It's really gotten me motivated & excited again!!! Best of luck in your fitness quest!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your posts and reading of your successes!
So far today, I've done Leslie's Walk strong video (2 miles). I've now completed 60 miles of my 75 mi. goal! I hope to squeeze in another small walk or two...but today is my youngest daughter's birthday, she turns 11! So, my evening might get a little busy. I guess I should squeeze it in now, while my daycare children are napping and before the school bus gets here!!!
Have a great day!
KG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #83  

Welcome, Megan! No pressure here, but good people keeping each other motivated!

I did the 3-mile Power Walk with Leslie tonight, so I'm up to 26 for the month. My goal was 40 miles for the month, but I had to rest last week because of joint pain. I'm not going to hurt myself, but I'm not going to just sit down and take it. So I'll do what I can and be glad that I can do that!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #84  
I CAN do it!!

How does everyone decide what their goals will be? I've just started, although I am in not too bad shape, my hour long walk yesterday through the hills in my city left my quite breathless...
Also, what measures are you using to count distance? I guess I could just count time...like 10 hrs of walking a week?
Just asking all these questions as I am not too sure where to start....

Thanks,
Megan
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #85  

Hi Megan, those are good questions with lots of answers! Some people measure by distance and some by time. I think it depends on what your goals are, what your activity is, etc. For instance, if you're doing it for health, to lower your cholesterol, etc., most medical-types are saying 30 - 60 minutes a day, 3-5 times a week. I read an article today that said 12 miles of walking a week is as good as jogging. Figuring that a brisk walk is about a 15-minute mile, You could do that in 30 minutes, 6 times a week, or an hour 3 times a week. It really all depends on you, your time, what motivates you. I didn't set goals for several months until I had a good picture of what I was capable of and what I wanted to aspire to.

I try to do something most days of the week. It might be 30 or 45 minutes of walking, I might add some weights to that if I'm doing it with Leslie. I might do a 30 minute aerobic something and then do upper and/or lower. Tonight I did a 45 minute stretch routine using Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch dvd. I mix it up a lot as you can tell. Some people do the same thing every day.

An hour walk first time out is a lot, even if you're in good shape. You need to have time to build your stamina, your feet and leg muscles, etc. On thewalkingsite (come) there's a beginner's walking program that starts with 15 or 20 minutes a day and gradually increases. If you do too much too fast, you run the risk of injury, shin splints, etc.

I'm sure others will jump on here with their thoughts as well.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #86  

Sorry...I meant "on thewalkingsite (dot com)..."
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #87  
I CAN do it!!

Thanks for all the info and advice Dinah!!

I worked out yesterday.Did weights for my arms and some other exercised for a good 30 mins. Do I log that here, or in the exercise accountability thread? (So confused..lol)

Anyways, tonight I plan to walk about 45mins-1 hr with a friend.

Megan
Old 10-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #88  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Well, I got off track but this time I'm here to stay. . I started back the 22nd and since that day I have walked a total of 7 and 1/2 miles on the track (local one about 1/2 mile to walk there) and 5 miles just walking to and from it! (3 and 1/2 today). So.. 12 and 1/2 so far. *excited*
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #89  

Hi Megan, you can log it wherever you want or feel the most comfortable. This site is so huge and lose track of which thread is which, so I pretty much stay here for the exercise. However, I also log on FitDay, on President's Challenge, on my quit smoking support site, AND on an excel spread sheet I have. So I'm accountable all over the place!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #90  

Well, I should have read it before I posted it. I meant to say "I lose track..."