Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #1  
People call me tiny now!

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/145

Height: 5'5"

Default The best time of day to exercise?

Hi everyone! I'm new and if this question has been asked before could someone direct me to that thread. My question is when is the best time to exercise? When you wake up and havn't had anything to eat or after you have eaten something? I've heard it is best to exercise when you first wake up and you stomach is empty. Supposedly you burn more fat this way. I'm just so confused! I'm a working college student who already has very little time and sometimes it's just hard for me to get motivated that early in the morning. I'm glad I found ya'll!

Thanks,
Michelle
PunchBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Michelle

Welcome to 3FC! I've heard people go back and forth with all sorts of theories about what time of day is best for exercise, but I've never read/seen/heard any scientific evidence supporting early morning exercise over other times of the day.

I have NEVER exercised first thing in the morning. Not once . I couldn't handle it! My workout schedule varies according to my work/school schedule, so sometimes I go to the gym at noon, sometimes at 3pm, and sometimes at 8pm.

My advice? Find the time that fits into your life/schedule best, because if it's convenient, you'll do it. And that's the real goal, right? If it's going to be a real hassle for you to get up early and do it, then don't create another obstacle for yourself!

It's all about calories in and calories out....and in my opinion, it doesn't matter WHEN you exercise, as long as you DO it!

Good luck
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #3  
one leg press at a time

Based on my own experience, the best time to work out ie when you can fit it in your schedule on any given day. Some days it may be better to workout in the morning, some at lunch or even say 8 pm.
I also have read conflicting reports on the time & food wise, but I have not been given any hard core eidence that any one way is better than the other.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

IF there is hard core proof and evidence that a certain time of day is better or not, if YOU are not able to make it at that time, the proof is no good!! Because ultimately exercise is what works for YOU. So don't force yourself to go out in the morning just because someone said so, but go because it suits YOU. If you are not a morning person you will not have a good workout in the morning anyways, you won't be motivated to do the workout. Go when YOU feel motivated...

Are you getting my drift here? Go when it's good for YOU ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #5  
People call me tiny now!

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the replies! I'll do that instead of trying to wake up at ungodly hours of the morning. I wish I would have found this board sooner!

~Michelle
PunchBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #6  

To me the best time to workout is when it works for you. I've found it works best for me to workout in the evenings after I tuck the kids into bed. I can hop on my treadmill and jog away while watching my favorite tv shows uninterrupted
TracyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote