Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 07:36 PM   #1  

Talking I Hate Exercise! Who's With Me?!

One of the main reasons I can't seem to keep weight off is I just don't like to exercise. As soon as I start a routine, the pounds melt off. Not long after that, I quit and am back to 190lbs. How do you all stay motivated? How do I hang on to my weight-loss?
Old 06-14-2001, 09:10 PM   #2  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Wow, I don't know how to help you. All I can tell you is its an adrenaline rush. I have missed the gym for 2 weeks now due to schedule conflicts and boy am I miserable. I love it and how it makes me feel. You have to want to lose weight and get fit. Nobody out here can help you. YOU have to help yourself first and we can offer suggestions on how to make it fun.

Good Luck
Old 06-14-2001, 09:12 PM   #3  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Second thought here......... Why don't you like to exercise? List your reasons.....
Old 06-15-2001, 08:49 AM   #4  

Traditional exercise isn't the most fun, but I remember being SO active as a kid. And the reason I enjoyed it was because it wasn't "exercise" to me- it was just "having fun." It didn't register as being any kind of punishment for having eaten so much the day before (or the week before... year before... etc.). I went to the beach with a bunch of relatives a few weeks ago, and I was moving all the time, and it felt great! But it wasn't walking on a treadmill for a prescribed 30 minutes. Instead, it was jumping in the waves, playing tag, badmitton and hide-and-go seek with my younger cousins- you get the idea. I have a friend who is skinny as can be, but eats worse than i do! However, SHE doesn't go to the gym for an hour a day like I do- she just takes her dog on long walks everynight. She doesn't even think of it as exercise- just something fun she can do with her pet! Additionally, there are a lot of fit people in this world who don't belong to a gym. They simply move more during the day. They take the stairs insteadof the elevator, park further away from the grocery store, etc. Just a thought!
Old 06-24-2001, 12:07 AM   #5  

Talking

I too hate exercise!!!to me it is a four letter word,no matter how many letters it has!!so what do I do?? I ride a stationary bike and listen to audio tapes, the tapes are at the library,and I get so involved in them my 30 min turns into 45 almost every night. I have a lot to lose, and as much as i hate to admit it, the exercise<my four lettr word >does help a bunch.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:40 PM   #6  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Aagh!

I'm with you. I hate it too.

I know that I need it, and many of us aren't able to do exercises that we find fun, if we find any at all.

I go to a gym and decided to choose one cardio machine and start with that. That's all I've been doing pretty much. I figure things like weights and all will come later, but I will work on my cardio.

I chose the elliptical machine. It was tough at first, but now I'm up to 60-65 minutes at a low resistance but very high grade. So, 3-5 days a week, that's all I do. One hour of the elliptical machine, mixed up with occasional walking through the neighborhood. I know I have to do it, and I'm sure everyone knows they have to,so you have to choose something. But I look at is as goal setting rather than exercise. I get on the elliptical and monitor my "calories burned" and my number of rotations or steps. My goal is to meet or exceed my goals the first time. So for example, this past Monday I got to 1000 "calories burned" . I can never get lower than that again. Later, I may have hit 60 minutes but if I don't get to 1000, I stay on until I do. I am now about 500 rotations away from 10,000 so that is my next goal. At least 1000 "calories burned" and 10,000 rotations.

I'm sure that didn't help you at all, but that's just my strategy.

Oh, and the music that I listen to makes all the difference. If anything, my hour of exercise is time to listen to my CD's 'cuz I don't have much time otherwise!

So I guess it's like a game....
Closed Thread