Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #31  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey ladies

I did an "easy" 6 miles (9.8km) yesterday, in about 56 minutes, which is WONDERFUL considering this must mean my "normal" pace is getting much quicker...exactly a month until my birthday/race day, I am VERY excited!

I feel great today after my run yesterday so the next few days are cardio cardio cardio...

I think I have decided that in Jan 2006 I will start training for a half marathon in May/06 hmmm....its still in the decision making stages right now

Good Running everyone!

Leanne
"be happy with how fast and/or far you run, cuz there are MANY people who wont even TRY"
Old 09-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #32  

Thank you all for the welcome!

I was all excited to keep plugging away today but I seem to have caught some kind of cold/flu thing and can't even THINK about jogging without getting tired/sick. I never thought I'd feel this diappointed because I have to stay on the couch all evening LOL

Lilith thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to being able to run a single lap all the way through, nevermind 2 miles! LOL but it used to be difficult for me to walk two miles in thirty minutes and now that's my usual pace so there's hope for me! I even bought a book for women runners and am using some of the beginners' training schedules from there.

It's good not too feel like a lame-o! LOL

Ilene, I can't imagine they would feel imposed upon unless it's some evil clique thing. My guess would be that they'd b e glad to add one to the pack. I'm thinking mainly of women's hiking groups I've jumped into in the past but it can't be that different can it?

papperclippy, what a bummer! I hope you can recover and at least make it to the 5k!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

This other girl at the gym was on "my" treadmill again this morning so I just did a weights workout plus the elliptical...BUT I told myself I really needed to run so after work I did go back and did some speedwork on the treadmill (3miles). Sooo happy I didn't just skip it.

Bella-sorry to hear you are sick...it seems to be going around (knock on wood!) i remember when i first started running it was like torture--and granted sometimes it still is--but for the most part i love the feeling i get afterwards so I go through with it anyway.

Ilene-go for it! what are you going to lose? and you could gain a great group of friends with common interests.

Paperclippy--good luck this weekend! don't try to set any records, just take it easy.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #34  
Ilene the Bean

Paperclippy -- have fun on your run, you'll do just fine... you just have to finish...

Liz -- Don't you just hate when someone has ''your'' machine? ... I am so set on having my machine that I will sometimes ask the person how long they have and take another machine to warm up on till their done... And here I am worried about joining a group of runner OYE I am so silly sometimes...

tonight I signed up for a triathlon swimming class that starts next wednesday night, I'm excited about that... ...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #35  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I'm home again after moving out for almost 4 months for major renos. Although the renos aren't quite done yet. Mostly cosmetic and outside stuff left though. Anyway, since finishing my goal 1/2 marathon in my goal time, I've decided to switch focus for the fall to two 10k races, one in two weeks and one near the end of October. So I've jumped in to the appropriate place in a 50 minute 10k schedule. I've got more than enough of a milage base to jump in mid-way, but wow, the run times are faster than I'm used to! My long runs are "only" 16k, but are done 20-30 seconds/km faster than I'm used to. I'm definitely feeling this morning's run in my legs. But I did it in the time range specified, even with one of the killer hills downtown in it. Hopefully I'll see an improvement in my pb 10k time in one of the two races.

My ds (6) is excited about running in a 1k kids race in two weeks time. All the kids get ribbons, and with his 3yo sister running too, he's guaranteed not to be last.

Leanne, you are going to blow your 60 minute goal right out of the water on your birthday race!

Ilene, is there a triathalon in your future?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Last night's run/walk of 2.25 miles total:

~quarter mile powerwalk warm up
~1 mile run
~quarter mile recovery powerwalk
~half mile run
~quarter mile walk/cool down

This is only the second time that I have ran a complete mile straight with no walking intervals, so I was pretty pleased at the end of the second walking segment when I felt I "had enough in me" to go for the second half mile run. Overall, I am pleased with my progress this week.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #37  
Running Babe

Hi all,

I am just back from my 18K jaunt... My legs are only starting to get used to these long distances, but I am slightly sore. Tonight I shall do the cold bath thing.

Anyway, still over a month 'til my next race, but should be good!

Cheers everyone!

Ali
Old 09-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #38  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Well, I did it!!! I ran my first official 5k. Time wasn't great, 42:34 (my PR for running it on the track is about 39), but at least it was under 45 minutes! I learned some things too, like how I need to be careful not to go too fast in the beginning. I felt awful for most of the run since I am still getting over the stomach flu and having some digestive problems, and then I started too fast, so I was exhausted by mile 2, but I made it jogging all the way! I even sprinted to the finish line. I think my bf (who stayed back with me) was embarrassed to be passed up by an old woman with a prosthetic brace on her knee (the kind that electrically helps the knee bend) though.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

Clippy -- way to go on the race... Your BFs bruised ego will mend soon enough

Aphil -- Good for you on the run, practice makes perfect...

I had a good run today the weather was in my favour... cool with NO humidity I ran to the gym did back and biceps and afterwards I took the long way home and did a total of 10k... I'm bored though, I need a group of something to run with... There is that group of women that I am still contemplating running with. I'll find out exactly what times they run... This week I also start a triathlon swimming class, should be fun...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Paperclippy--great job on finishing! you should be proud

I did my long run of 6 miles this morning to get me ready for the final week before my big 5-k race. Went pretty smoothly...good thing I went early because now it is raining and then I would have had an excuse to skip it. Glad I didn't though.

Hope everyone's weekend is wrapping up nicely.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #41  

Hi runners,

Ilene- Go for the woman group of runners ! It 's not that you are comitting yourself for life, just try if it works for all of you ! And great that you joined the triathlon swimclass.

Aphid - good to see you shimmiing in here !

Hi to all the other runners. I could not post for the last 3 days but I did manage to run: 2 times 1 hour outside run and today I did 25 minutes outside before I did UBW.

Although my speed is still incredibly slow (I am around 4 - 4.5 mph) I see progress:
- I started running last spring inside, and I did not imagine I would be running outside
- last year I went running a couple of times, and I could not finish to the end of my street without stopping twice. now I can almost run the total distance to the end of the street. So I call this a huge progress, even if all other people seem to be better at running than I am
- I have chronic anemia, and I run by a heartrate monitor. Just to be out and go running is a big psychological victory for me

I am very glad that there are more people on the site that are not so great at running, and still do it.

And last week the coolmax shirts were on sale here for about 10$. I bought two, and I like them !

Happy running ,

rabbit
Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #42  

Ilene, back when I was a regular runner, I had a group that met every morning to run. We were always thrilled to have someone else join us! I would think that the group you have seen would be the same. Once you get into the running community, most people are so incredibly supportive of each other, that they love to have another runner!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #43  

I ran my 5K on Saturday and made both my goals--I wasn't last and I finished under 30 minutes (29:54 and I think I beat 3 people!). I was very happy to make my goals, though I discovered some frustration I will have to fight through to keep up my training. I've really enjoyed running again, but the race reminded me of the frustration I felt during my last year of college cross country. I was gaining weight, and suddenly, I couldn't keep up with anyone anymore. I went from a varsity runner to almost finishing last in every race. Saturday, I felt the same frustration as I was being passed constantly and didn't have the energy to try to keep up. I just have to keep reminding myself that my times will come down with training and some more weight loss--I don't want to quit like I did in college! But, I haven't been running for long this time around, and I've still got some weight to lose, so hopefully I'll get fast enough to make that frustration go away!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #44  
Ilene the Bean

Laura thank you for your encouraging words. I just wrote to my cousin who knows someone in this group and she will find out the exact days and times that they go. How was your 5k a couple of weeks ago did you run it in 30 mins like you wanted?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #45  
Ilene the Bean

Oops we posted at the very same time ... That was a great time for your race! Practice and training make perfect you'll be back in no time...
Closed Thread