Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #1  

Question Could I have your opinions, please...

This is my first post so I will start off by telling a little about myself. (I'm not sure where the introductions are supposed to be posted, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be forever indebted to you )

I am 25, married, have a 2 1/2 year old son. I have always been big boned as I have a large frame, but thin all thru high school. After high school, I gained weight VERY fast. I got married, got pregnant and had a very tough pregnancy where I actually lost 25 lbs (pre-pregnancy to right after giving birth). I tried Atkins for a while and did very well, but fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus about 20 lbs extra (I figure it was making up for lost time... )

About a month and a half ago, I woke up and realized that this was ridiculous and I had to make a change. I began doing cardio/aerobics 6 days a week about a month and a half ago (along with calorie counting and fat/carbohydrate watching). I started out with 2 half hour workouts per day, but now I am up to an hour of cardio kickboxing in the am and half an hour weight training at night with one day off per week.

So here is my question...do you think I can start jogging without walking for a bit first? I mean walk for a few minutes and then jog, but not all out walking for half an hour for a few weeks. Is jogging much different then doing cardio work? I am asking because we are going on a few trips in the next few months where I will not be able to do my normal workout routine, but I want to keep up the same or at least similar pace with fat burning work outs. I figured I could jog or run each morning and achive the same cardiovascular and fat burning benefits. I don't think that walking would get me into the same type of cardio mode as the kickboxing. Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I just underestimating walking. I know a lot of people do it and have great success. I just get a little bored with walking...

Thanks to all!

Leela
beamers mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9

I'm in the same conundrum as you are, my dear! As for me, I'm just sick and tired of the aerobics dvd's!!
Yes, I do believe that walking/jogging have the same benefits as a regular aerobic workout. If something gets you breathing and gets your heart pumping, then you're burning calories! Try jogging! I do it....walk for a bit, jog until I can't go anymore, then walk, then jog, etc. I love it! I especially love being outdoors. I definately think that you should try it!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #3  

You could also burn fat fast with jump roping and/or rebounding.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #4  

Very fast walking burns almost as much as running. It's easier on the feet and knees, but I found it gave me shin splints at first. It's not a good idea to go from no jogging to lots of jogging. You need to build up gradually to avoid injury. Don't forget to make sure you have the right shoes to protect those feet and knees.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Really no matter what cardio you do, it's about where your heart rate is. As long as you get your heart rate into the "fat burning zone", but not so high it's in the "anaerobic zone" you will reap the benefits of a cardio workout no matter what you're doing!!! That's kinda why people need to up their intesity as they get more in shape, their cardiac threshold is higher (it takes more to get their heart rate up). You can walk and get a good workout as long as you keep it intense enough. Bring your watch along and every 5 minutes count your pluse for 10 seconds and multiply it times 6 and you'll know your heart rate. You could dance around the room for a half hour (or however long) and get your cardio in as long as it gets your heart rate up enough!!!

Hope that helps!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Stephanie is right ''cardio'' works the cardiovascular system and that's what's important when you are working out whether it be walking, running, an aerobic class, eleptycal, biking, etc.... Also what is important is that you do something you like!! Afterall you've gotta be working out 5days/week for at least 30 mins, so you just gotta like it ...

If you really want to run -- running is my cardio of choice now, I love it -- you MUST start slowly... warm up for 10 mins, jog for a minute walk for a minute, till this feels comfortable... It may take you a week or even two but who cares, what's the rush, but get out and enjoy the outdoors, look at nature or the landscaping of the houses or I even window shop ... Whether you are walking briskly or jogging you are definitely burning calories and not sitting on your tush doing nothing...Secondly, go to a reputable running store and get the right shoes for your feet, not WalMart or Tarket... But a store that can look at your walk or gait and fit the proper shoe... Your whole body will thank you. If you don't have the right shoes your knees will hurt, your ankles, hips, and you will likely stop running ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Just posted this same thing in another thread...that even if one is athletic, that doesn't mean jogging works the same muscles. You could find yourself injured if you overdo it too quickly. But a combination of jogging in short burst, intermixed with walking might work. Just try it slowly at first and see how it goes. Increase the amount of jogging gradually as long as you don't notice any problems with it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #8  

almostheaven is exactly right! Doing interval training--walking with short bursts of jogging is the best. It's a proven fact that doing interval training is more effective than keeping one's heart rate up for a long duration of time.

After reading your post, I can't help but be concerned. You never mentioned if you had been exercising at all before your you realized you needed to make a change.

Going from little or no exercise to working out 1-2 hours a day, six days a week is extreme. If you continue to overdo it you'll burn out. I can understand you want the excess weight gone as soon as possible, but when it comes to weight loss the old adage "slow and steady wins the race" holds true.

Be careful and be mindful of your body.
Scorpio Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #9  

another thing you could try is a power walking CD. I was so suprised by how this worked. I regularly walk the dog and I didn't think that walking was doing anything for me, but once I got pointers on form and pacing... WHOA! It is an intense workout.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #10  

Thank you for your reply's. I think I will try the interval walking then jogging while on vacation. I was just concerned that by just walking I wouldn't keep my heart rate up enough to see the same benefits I see from the cardio and kickboxing.

Thank you also for your concern. No, I didn't get very much structured exercise before deciding to make a change. We are a pretty active family and are always doing something, our 2 and a half year old sees to that! But I did start out slower...I did a half an hour probably five days a week for a few weeks (goal was 6 days, though I am sure I missed one or two days) and have built up to the hour + per day six days a week. I try not to over do it, but found that after the first few weeks the half an hour was not enough of a challenge and I really enjoyed it. I found this kickboxing program with Cathe that I loved and did it for about a week, at first fast forwarding thru one of the segments to shorten it to 45 mins and worked up to the full hour. Now I do that or TaeBo Cardio every morning, unless I am in a pinch for time, then I do a half hour cardio with Sharon Mann. In the evening, I do another half hour body sculpting show with Gilad (Sorry, I can't remember the name). I'm pretty happy with this and never am too tired or sore to do anything and if I am, I make that the day off for the week and get back at it the next day. After reading more detail, is this too much? I thought I was doing a good thing, but don't want to cause damage either.

Thanks.

Leela
beamers mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Only you know if it's too much. If you haven't experienced any muscle cramps, back pains, or anything that just feels not right, then you probably aren't having any problems with it. When you start to notice things though, don't push it, slack back off and see where you might have gone wrong.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #12  

Howdy Beamers Mom from one big boned gal to another!!! My situation is so much similar to yours with the exception of the pregnancy. Too bad I gained all of this weight and I don't even have a child to show for it yet!!! I just wanted to say keep up the good work. Sounds like the light bulb came on for you and you've really kept yourself focused. As far as cardio, the elliptical machine is my drug of choice. I do however, alternate the programs on the machine to give me a variety of workouts.

I definitely agree with Ilene on the shoes. I bit the bullet and bought myself some Nike athletic shoes with shocks (at the Nike outlet store) and it was the best investment for my workout program.

Keep up the good work!!!
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote