3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Weight loss with WATP??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6

Default Weight loss with WATP??

I want to join the watp 6 week challenge as well. But I am curious whether doing JUST watp will help weight loss? And approx how much a week?

I dont have her tapes. I want to go down from 151 to 115 lbs in 5 months. Can I do that by just walking (or should it be combined with other exercise forms)? Sounds incredible!! I just LOVE the idea.

I used to workout before (aerobics and weights), but with a new baby those exercises make me sore. I would just love to walk hard.

Thanks,
Ramya
goodgirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6

Default

Oh, I wanted to add: can i just do it at home? I can't really leave home for an hour at this point.

Thanks a bunch.
goodgirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Blonde Bimbo
 
almostheaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 2,984

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default

WATP has many tapes. Yes, you can lose weight with them. But I'd suggest mixing them up so you target all areas. I have the WATP for abs, the Firm Walk, 1 hour 4 mi. Super Challenge, Walk & Jog and Walk & Kick. I try and mix all of these. Pre-pregnancy, I normally did between 60 to 90 minutes. All you need is a TV, a DVD or VCR, and some moving room. Just push your coffee table out of the way. And you can always break them up and do two 30 minute workouts a day if that better fits your schedule. By combining perhaps a half hour on one of the cardio workouts and a half hour on the firm workout every other day and focusing 60 minutes on cardio on the other days, you should see good results.
__________________
Pre-pregnancy:

Post-pregnancy:
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

WATP is awesome! The videos (I have at least 13 different ones) are motivating and exciting! I lost over 30 pounds doing WATP before along with a healthy diet. I only do this at home! So it does work. I used to do at least 2 miles (up to 11 miles one day... but normally just up to 5 or 6 miles in a day) 5 to 6 days a week. I am going to get back into this myself!!
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 183

Default

Ramya..you may want to check out the book THE STEP DIET..which is all about adding walking to your routine to lose weight. They advise eating about 100 cals less per day and working up to 10,000+ steps per day.
They also have a free website where you can log your steps and "walk" across the US.
And see how far you got.

For weight loss you have to burn so many calories per pound. Its 3,500 cals per pound as you likely know. When you walk you will burn according to how fast, your other body movements, your weight etc.
Here is a rough guide I found online.

How Many Calories Does Walking Burn?


The amount of calories you burn walking increases with the speed / length of your walk. The table below gives you a rough guide:

WalkingSpeed Calories burned* in
10mins 20mins 30mins
2mph 26 52 79
3mph 42 85 128
4mph 61 122 184

*Based on a 40 year old female of 5'5" tall who weighs 12st 7lb and is moderately sedentary. These are 'extra' calories, i.e. on top of those you would normally burn.

So if you walked 20 minutes at 4mph ..thats 122 calories burned you would have to do that about 29 times to burn ONE pound. But if you cut out a little bit of food like a pat of butter each day or a bite of brownie..say 100 cals. and walked ..then you could lose that pound in half the time.
So hope that helps give you an idea.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 183

Default

TMunday..I am curious why SBD made you sick?
I dont follow it, but it seems very healthy to me. EXCEPT the first two weeks can be pretty awful for folks and really I dont think they are necessary (unless you are a sugar addict or something). The rest of the plan seems to focus nicely on real healthy foods.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
TMunday..I am curious why SBD made you sick?
I dont follow it, but it seems very healthy to me. EXCEPT the first two weeks can be pretty awful for folks and really I dont think they are necessary (unless you are a sugar addict or something). The rest of the plan seems to focus nicely on real healthy foods.
I liked the info. you shared on walking! That is very helpful.

I did SBD for over about a year I think it was, the first time. I started feeling sick and stopped doing it. On 7/21/05 I decided to try it again. Roughly 4 days after re-starting the plan (phase 1) I started feeling depressed, jittery speeding muscles, couldn't think, crying spells, panic and anxiety attacks (normally only during storms but at almost all times since SBD), memory not working right, nervousness, exhaustion, lack of energy big time, real tired by day but can't sleep at night (insomnia) before 2 or so in the morning, my muscles hurt all of the time, I don't want to talk to anyone.. not even close friends or family, it ruined my very slow metabolism even more, and a few other things.

Since I stopped SBD I have not really been depressed (not like I was on SBD), I sleep at night better, I don't sleep during the day, crying spells are over, muscles feeling better and a lot more. It is just not a healthy way to go. My doctor told me to stop doing it. So far so good since I stopped.
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 183

Default

I think I can explain your difficulty with SBD. I tried it for a short time and had the EXACT same problems as you. My explanation is that carbs help produce the serotonin in the brain which is what helps us relax and remain calm. When your brain is not production enough serotonin then there is a problem. You are likely to need more carbs than other people as I do.
One area that could help this on phase 1 or 2 of SBD is eating beans.
Anyway I also got very depressed when I attempted phase 1 of SBD and never followed the rest of the plan. But it seems overall healthy with the exception of phase 1 for some people. But heck I didnt stick to it..so what do I know!

I picked up the Insulin Resistance diet which has more protein but plenty of carbs and that seems to help me. Though I dont follow it strictly.

Do you mind sharing about your panic attacks.. ? Are you saying you got them worse duirng SBD and now have them again even though you are off SBD?
Is this only during stormy weather?
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 183

Default

One thing I read that really helped me is that low carb diets dont work but higher protein diets do. It doesnt make sense till you think about it. If you eat more protein, it is more filling. You wont want as many carbs..but you can still eat carbs.
So I try to make sure I have lots of protein and also some carbs. If I eat breakfast for example I use a low carb yogurt and high protein cereal..has carbs but not as many. I stay fuller and amazingingly in control.
If I am going to have cake or cookies I will have some milk with it.
I also found vitamuffins which taste like cupcakes only have a ton of fiber and eat those for a snack ..and lots of sf popsicles.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

Quote:
I think I can explain your difficulty with SBD. I tried it for a short time and had the EXACT same problems as you. My explanation is that carbs help produce the serotonin in the brain which is what helps us relax and remain calm. When your brain is not production enough serotonin then there is a problem. You are likely to need more carbs than other people as I do.
One area that could help this on phase 1 or 2 of SBD is eating beans.
Anyway I also got very depressed when I attempted phase 1 of SBD and never followed the rest of the plan. But it seems overall healthy with the exception of phase 1 for some people. But heck I didnt stick to it..so what do I know!
Now I never thought of that! I new it was something but I just could not put my finger on it. I am going to have to look into this further. Thanks for the heads up on the serotonin. As for the beans... are you talking about green beans? We eat fresh and frozen steamed green beans and brocolli all of the time here.

Quote:
I picked up the Insulin Resistance diet which has more protein but plenty of carbs and that seems to help me. Though I dont follow it strictly.
Now this is another book I have not looked into. I am going to have to check into this book too. It might just help.

I had gestational diabeties and was told by my doc I would have diabeties by the time I was 40 if I did not lose the weight. Well, time is flying by!!! I should probably check that out. I would have thought the doc would have tested this but who knows.

Quote:
Do you mind sharing about your panic attacks.. ? Are you saying you got them worse duirng SBD and now have them again even though you are off SBD?
Is this only during stormy weather?
Normally it is only during storming weather (snow, rain, and all storms). But while I tried to follow SBD I was very nervous about everything! I didn't even like my kids going outside to play. I was very overly protective and overly causious (sp?) about everything. My family hated it! It is really hard to explain.
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
One thing I read that really helped me is that low carb diets dont work but higher protein diets do. It doesnt make sense till you think about it. If you eat more protein, it is more filling. You wont want as many carbs..but you can still eat carbs.
So I try to make sure I have lots of protein and also some carbs. If I eat breakfast for example I use a low carb yogurt and high protein cereal..has carbs but not as many. I stay fuller and amazingingly in control.
If I am going to have cake or cookies I will have some milk with it.
I also found vitamuffins which taste like cupcakes only have a ton of fiber and eat those for a snack ..and lots of sf popsicles.
That's kind of what I have been doing. Lots of protien foods on top of other foods. But see, my problem is not that I eat to much. It is that I don't eat!! So I have to eat more calories too. I have to combined several different diets into one plan kind of to wake my metabolism up and get it going again. It is really confusing. But through reading (so far... I have tons more to read) The 3 Hour Diet book I am learning quite a bit about metabolism and stuff. You see, I have always (since I was a kid) eaten dinner, and snacked afterwards while watching tv. Breakfast always makes me sick so I skipped it. Lunch, I could do without!! Which left my body (I learned from WW) in starvation mode and killed my metabolism. Now I try and make sure I eat 6 times a day... meals and snacks. I have been feeling a lot better since I started doing it this way.

I hope I have been explaining myself where it is understandable. It is hard to explain.
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ras8779's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 438

Default

Tracy,
I have the 3 Hour Diet book too. I haven't started to read it yet though. I agree that eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of one or two big ones is the way to go. It especially works for me because I have very slow digestion and if I eat too much at one time I suffer from acid reflux! I do try to eat every three or four hours and I try not to eat past 7 at night to prevent acid reflux. I really think this is the way to go. I also use Leslie workouts as my main workouts. I love her walks. I own almost all of them. I tried to do Slim In Six and after about the 4th week I got exhausted from it and was feeling sick and weak. I think it was just too intense for me. I've been doing three mile walks lately and sometimes I'll do two more in the evening but if I do them first thing in the AM I don't feel as bad if I don't do more later on.
__________________
Rose
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
carla49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,250

Default

Ramya, if you can get your hands on a jogging stroller, you can get out WITH your baby and get some pretty intense running in. Or a regular pram for walking. As a bonus, the baby will sleep much better for all the fresh air, especially as it gets colder.

Tracy, I'm pretty sure the beans mentioned above are legumes, like chickpeas, black turtle beans, kidney beans, lentils... They are very high in protein and are carbs at the same time. As a bonus, they are VERY high in fibre, so if you don't mind a little gas (okay, a lot of gas) when you first start eating them, they keep you very regular.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

Rose,

Your habits sound a lot like mine! Well, the way I used to be anyway! Hopefully I can get back into that routine again!
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TMunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the country.
Posts: 1,023

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla49
Tracy, I'm pretty sure the beans mentioned above are legumes, like chickpeas, black turtle beans, kidney beans, lentils... They are very high in protein and are carbs at the same time. As a bonus, they are VERY high in fibre, so if you don't mind a little gas (okay, a lot of gas) when you first start eating them, they keep you very regular.
EEEWWWWW!!!! Lol. I don't eat those things lol. And I would hate the gas that comes along with them hahaha. Thanks for letting me know what the other person ment though. I was not sure.
__________________
~* Tracy *~


~*~ Quit Smoking:... 5/16/05 ~*~
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2