3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Most effective exercises for weight loss???? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/63561-most-effective-exercises-weight-loss.html)

Laila_girl22 08-16-2005 04:01 PM

Most effective exercises for weight loss????

Hey everyone. I have a father who feels the need to be right about everything and I'm pretty sure that I'm right... but I need resources.... or proven I am wrong. We had the debate last night about which exercises work best for losing weight. My dad says walking is the best. It's better that equipment at a gym and better than running. I told him cardio exercises are better because it works your heart better and works muscles better. He told me his cardiologist told him walking is the best. (He also tells me a low carb diet is the best way to live and it's perfect! I disagree with that too!)

Please send links to resources! I need support here!

Sara

sugarbutt 08-16-2005 04:08 PM

my hubby says that all cardio is best way to loss weight... i also read that low cards about better than no carbs..

TheNewChristy 08-16-2005 04:25 PM

You're both right--walking is a cardio exercise as long as it gets your heart rate up! :D

I don't know about the no carb thing...personally I think all foods are fine in moderation. The problem isn't with the food itself, it's with our inability to suppress overindulgences. I can give you scripture to back up your food argument if your dad is religious...

aphil 08-16-2005 04:33 PM

I think the best exercise, is the one that you will DO. Running may be great cardio and a fabulous way to burn calories-but if you hate to run, and can't do it for the rest of your life-then it isn't the best exercise for YOU.
My father, for instance, is a fabulous baseball player. On the other hand, you can't PAY me to get out on the field. :lol: I am a Middle Eastern dancer-and my father thinks I am crazy. We are both getting exercise, and we are both doing an exercise form that we ENJOY and keep on doing, so they are both the best.

I think the same goes for a lot of plans. The best diet plan is the one YOU can stick with for life.
For each person the answer to these questions is going to be different.

Laila_girl22 08-16-2005 05:05 PM

I agree that walking is a good form of exercise, but I don't think it's the best. I think that eliptical machines could be better, also i think running is better. It's not so much about what I will do.... but what is actually the best exercise to aide in weight loss. Thanks for the replys thus far! :D

TMunday 08-16-2005 05:10 PM

Your both right!! :)

I love Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos and I lost lots of weight with her videos! However, you also need some strength training for your muscles.. which I also do... nothing major... just ankle weights, hand weights, stretchies, whatever you have around works. :)

As for low carb being the healthy way... me personally... NOT! I had lost alot of wieght on the low carb diets. However now I have medical problems due to the diets. I will never do them again. You need to eat all food groups in moderation.

Everyone has a different opinion and things work differently for different people. So you will get a lot of different responces. Good luck though!

Ilene 08-17-2005 09:16 AM

Well I'll be, :mad: , I had posted something in this thread last night and it's gone!! I must have deleted it instead of posting, I was very tired at the time...Anyways, here is what I basically said...

Laila - I don't know how old your dad is but because his cardiologist recommended walking to him, walking probably is the best exercise for your dad. He must start slowly, I am presuming because of his heart, and walking would be the best for HIM. Maybe not for you and I but for him...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laila_girl22
I told him cardio exercises are better because it works your heart better and works muscles better.

Your right in saying that cardio works your heart. Doing cardio works the cardiovascular system --the heart -- it can be done on any machine, walking or running, any form of exercise that brings your heart rate up .... Weight training will work your muscles and there are numerous reasons why you should incorporate both, cardio and weight training, in your routine. Here is an article with 10 reasons why you should weight train

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laila_girl22
It's not so much about what I will do.... but what is actually the best exercise to aide in weight loss.

Like aphil said the best exercise is the exercise you will DO... If you don't like running but you do it because you've been told it burns more calories my guess is that you won't be running very long. But if you love walking and are willing to walk 30-60 mins every day, well you'll be burning alot more calories than running once/week for only 2 weeks and dropping it all together... KWIM?? I'm also trying to find a site where they list all exercises and the number of calories you will burn by doing them, but I cannot find it... Maybe someone else can help me here...

Hope this helps, let us know how the debate with your dad is going... ;)

Scorpio Moon 08-17-2005 03:44 PM

I think walking is the best exercise, but not the most effective.

As everyone knows, walking is incredibly convenient and something the majority of us can do. Not only that, but the chances of injury are low. With no gym to go to, no DVDs to buy and no special equipment needed, walking really is the most ideal exercise.

But, as someone pointed out, any cardio exercise that allows you to keep your hear rate up for 20+ minutes is just good as any other.

Speaking of heart rate, if you really wanted to name the best exercise to lose weight, that would be interval training. The cool thing with walking is it's easy to turn into interval training--start out at a normal pace, speed up for a minute or two, then slow back down to a normal pace.

Re: Carbs: I think it's not so much about lowering your carb intake than it is about lowering your carb intake from refined foods. There are tons of carbs in fruits and vegetables. Who in their right mind would want to cut down on those? Bread, on the other hand, should be eaten in moderation.

Rakkoon 08-18-2005 02:27 PM

I like to walk. I have been doing it along with Tae Bo. Every morning I walk 3 miles a day then come home and do Tae Bo. The only thing is (it may sound slow) it takes 1 hour to do my 3 miles. I think I'm walking fast. I do end up sweating some. I'm also pushing me sons stroller. I would like to eventually start jogging. Mainly to cut the time I spent out there walking.
I have been doing my routine for weeks. I have only seen 2 lbs come off :( am I expecting too much?

Scorpio Moon 08-18-2005 03:28 PM

Rakkoon: You might consider getting yourself a heart rate monitor or, while walking, stopping to check your heart rate with your fingertips. You may be walking and sweating, but are you challenging yourself enough to raise your heart rate enough and keep it raised for 20+ minutes?

Ensuring your walk is challenging is what will lead to weight loss.