Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 10:05 AM   #1  

Talking Everyday Exercisers, week of June 11, 2001

Welcome to Everyday Exercisers -- a weekly thread that focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goals are to stay active, stay hydrated, and make healthy eating choices. We share our exercise plans for the week, and check in each day to share our progress...and our set-backs. Here you'll find a supportive and encouraging environment in which to pursue your fitness goals, and a community of people who share your commitment to fitness and provide motivation and inspiration to each other. Welcome!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:21 AM   #2  

No, I wasn't scared off!

Sorry folks -- I leave work at 1pm on Fridays in the summer, and if I don't get to post before then....ooops!

I'm pleased to report THE SLUMP HAS BEEN BROKEN!
DH and I went to the gym together twice this weekend -- and it was my idea! We tried the elliptical trainers together -- the ones with the moving arms. Let's just say I didn't know my heartrate could get that high without dire consequences! We did 25 minutes before collapsing, and apparently burned around 200 calories -- yay! The two of us looked like quite the pair when we were done -- BEET RED and drenched in sweat. Oh so very attractive. It was great though, and we both felt wonderful afterwards -- DH has been on a worse exercise slump than I have, and was glad to have finally gotten off his keister. I also did a short lying legs routine before going to bed last night -- nothing major, but enough to keep my muscles from atrophying.

This morning, I got up + went to the gym before work -- I did 15 minutes on an elliptical crosstrainer thing before my heartrate got so high that I got a little nervous, and then went and cooled down + brought my heartrate back down to something acceptable with 15 minutes on the recumbent bike. Who would have thought I'd be using the bike to cool down ?!

The BAD news is: I think I may be getting sick! I woke up this morning with a sore throat, and still feel pretty bad. Hopefully it will be gone by the time we leave for our mini-vacation!! We're leaving on Wednesday night for a long weekend in Nantucket -- where it will be nice, but not nice enough for a bathing suit, which is just how I want it!
I've got a dinner date w/an old friend tomorrow, and we're leaving right after work on Wed., so I'm not counting on getting any major strength work in this week. I'm going to try to keep up with some light toning w/my office dumbells, and pushups/dips/floorwork in Nantucket -- I'm not expecting major headway, but I'm going to try to keep some muscle toning activity up so that I don't lose ground.

Anyway, I'm very glad to be back on track, and I am SO thankful for all of your help. It really motivated me, knowing that you all were still working hard, and knowing you'd be waiting for me on Monday. I certainly didn't want to have to come back and let you all down! I feel so much better having gotten out of my ditch, and you guys were a HUGE help in getting me up + out. Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2001, 11:19 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down

Hey, no problem... that's what we're here for, right? Sounds like that butt-kicking really got you and your dh's frannies moving, and boy did they ever move? I can just picture the two of you! WTG! Sounds like you've got a good plan going for your mini-vacation too!

So, weighin on Friday wasn't as great as I had hoped... back up to 158... I did give in and had fish & chips for lunch on Friday, which didn't help.... then it's TOM this week, so that may have had an effect... anyway, I'm not overly discouraged. I have pretty good plans for this week... here they are:

Mon ~ Curves
Tues ~ Swimming, Curves
Wed ~ Curves
Thurs ~ Swimming, Curves
Fri ~ Off work... shopping, packing, etc... (I'm going to try to get to Curves on my way to the city)
Sat ~ We're gonna "do" some chickens (read: slaughter )
Sun ~ Leave for camping!

One of these days is gonna be a little screwy, as dh's great-uncle passed away yesterday, so I'm not sure when the funeral will be.... I will try to get to the pool at least twice this week, and Curves a minimum of three times. Good thing about camping, is that we go to a place with great trails ~ lots of bike-riding!

Oh yeah.... the weekend was pretty good ~ bartending is quite the job! Non-stop! I was pretty achey afterward, and since we got home at about 4:30 am Sunday was pretty lazy! Of course, I wasn't up for long enough yesterday to overeat! And we finally got to see Gladiator last night, as it was on tv.... pretty good, but not as great as the hype, which of course, is not unusual!

So, that's enough of my chatter! Talk to ya later!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:45 PM   #4  

Hi everyone! I got back from my mini vacation last night. We had a great time.

First, Nettie and Marvin: Sounds like both of you are doing great with your exercise.

Marvin: Congratulations on the kitties! I'd love to get a kitty for my daughter but I'm allergic.

Copperblu - I am so glad to hear your exercise slump is over. It must be good to have your husband to work out with.

Here's my update: Thursday we visited Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright's house he designed on a waterfall for a wealthy Pittsburgh retailer). It was really neat and interesting. We also did about 30 minutes walking the trails around the house in addition to the walking on the tour. I swam at the hotel 30 minutes too. Friday we walked about an hour after we got to our hotel in Ohio. Saturday we hiked 8 miles! First we did a 3 mile trail around a waterfall in Cayahoga Valley National Park. Then we drove to another spot in the park and hiked between two towns on the old Canal Tow path. That was 5 miles round trip. Boy did my feet hurt! Sunday I swam and took a walk when we got home. So I haven't missed any exercise. I did eat some rich meals but I watched my portions. I did drink a few too many calories. I will weigh-in for the week tomorrow but so far I don't think I gained any weight.

If any of you ever get to Ohio, it may not sound exciting but it is a nice place to vacation if you want to work some nature sight-seeing and exercise together. That Cayahoga Park stretches from Akron to Cleveland and there is a Canal Tow Path the whole way you can hike or bike on and may other trails and waterfalls to see. Maybe it just seemed like a great vacation because we haven't been anywhere without our daughter in about 6 years!

That's it for now. Have a great Tuesday everyone!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:56 AM   #5  

Good Morning! I went to post twice yesterday but got so busy, I never did. Funny thing is, after all the nagging of Copperblu last week, I missed my Friday workout. We went to see my husbands eleven-year-old off to camp and got back a too late to exercise. I was going to do it on Saturday, really, I was. But it is amazing, how many things you can think of that need to be done when you don't want to exercise. So I never did get the workout in.

I did lose four pounds last week though and am very pleased with that and I rode my bike ten miles last night in 21 minutes.

Stamper: Welcome back! Your trip sounded wonderful. It sounds like you got a lot of exercise and got to spend a great time with your husband. I much prefer small towns and nature as opposed to amusement parks and crowded beaches. Fortunately, Florida is know for its amusement parks but has a lot of natural spings and other nature sites that are not as well known.

Marvin: You sound like you have a full week! I used to bartend a few years ago. Great money! Hard job! But that was my younger days. BF (Before family) I'm too old and too mean to deal with drunk guys that have fallen in love with me or have just plain fallen.

Copperblu: Congratulations on getting back into the swing of things. That is so great that your husband works out with you. Mine runs interference with my kids so I can exercise. My son likes to "help" Mommy. You guys really kicked butt. I hope you are feeling better and are well for your trip. I like your idea of having dumbells at work. That would be great for me to get in a mini workout during lunch. I might have to try that.

Am I the only one not going on vacation? We are planning on going back to Virginia this Thanksgiving to see our families. It just seems so far away. I think we will have to go on a mini vacation before then. I bet if I suggested going fishing, my husband would already be packed. No problem, fish is on the diet.

Here is my schedule:

Monday: Bike - 10 miles
Tuesday: RS Tape/Abs Tape
Wednesday: Bike - 10 miles
Thursday: RS Tape/Abs Tape
Friday: Bike - 10 miles
Saturday/Sunday: Chase kids!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

231/201/170
(199 Independence Day)
Old 06-12-2001, 08:48 AM   #6  

Nettie: That's terrific that you lost 4 pounds last week. I hope you get to go on a vacation this summer. Thanksgiving is a long time off. It sounds like there are a lot of nice places in Florida where perhaps you could get away for a weekend or something. Sometimes just a day trip can be a great break.

Today I don't have to get to work until 10:30. We are having offsite meetings and since some of the people are coming from out of town, the meetings start late but we have to be there until 6 pm. So I going to get my exercise this morning and go for a long walk before I get ready.

Here's my good news. I got on the scale this morning and I weigh exactly what I weighed last Tuesday. I'm not at all disappointed because if I wouldn't have exercised on this vacation, I probably would have gained 5 pounds. So I'm quite happy not to have gained and hope to see the scale come down this week.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 06-12-2001, 10:30 AM   #7  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down

Hey all! We're doing great!

Stamper ~ Psst! I'm allergic too! I just love my kitties so much that I put up with the sniffles, sneezing, watery eyes.... I should own stock in allergy medicines! Seriously, my allergies are not all that bad, but it's enough! I would never be able to give up my babies though ~ I'd rather suffer in {ahem} silence!

Sounds like you had a good time away, and lots of exercise too! I would be happy with your maintain this week, and you're probably right about what the scale would have said had you not exercised while you were away! WTG!

Nettie ~ Four pounds!! That's excellent! I wouldn't feel bad about missing one day, if that's the kind of loss you're getting! I am so proud of you!

You're right about the drunken guys "falling for you".... although mine were just plain falling! Thankfully, we had security guys there who would scoop up the offending "romeo" and get him to some coffee! Thank goodness!

As for me ~ Up again this morning for a swim... and upped my laps by another two... so I'm happy! Ate really well yesterday and had a good workout, so I'm on plan so far this week.

Anyway, I'll see ya all later!
Old 06-12-2001, 02:31 PM   #8  

Wow! What an active thread!!

Marvin: Congrats on getting in your swimming! And upping your laps! Way to go! You're doing great!
Bartending, eh? Now that is not sit-down-on-the-job kind of work! You must have been running around all night! And you were burning calories, rather than adding empty ones (from alcohol)!
I have a hard time resisting the fish+chips too -- which is bad, because when I get them, I'm usually having a pint of cider too! Go ahead + blame TOM -- it's always "him" that wants the fatty, crunchy, salty! He's such a brat!

Stamper: That's sounds like a great trip!! I've always wanted to see Fallingwater! And all those bike rides + trail hikes! It sounds like you were very active on your vacation! No wonder you didn't gain! Good job!
That's nice that you don't have to go to work until later -- good for you for using that time to get in some exercise!

Nettie: Congratulations on the 4 pounds gone! That's a lot! You've been working hard for it too! What a nice reward for all your hard work! Definitely don't beat yourself up for one missed day --- sometimes, life just interferes! It sounds like you got a great workout on the bike later!
I like working out w/DH -- he doesn't go the gym w/me during the week, but we like to go together on the weekend. It's nice to have someone to laugh with when you get all hot + floppy, and we like to walk back home together gulping our waterbottles + talking about how good we feel + how glad we are that we went to the gym. He won't do any of my Firm tapes with me though! That's the next hurdle, I guess!

my update:
Well, I definitely am sick. I left work early + went home and slept + slept + slept. Then had some bouillon that DH made for me, and drank 2 liters of diet sprite he practically forced down my throat. I slept in a little, and came in late this morning. I feel a little better today -- I'm not achy like I was last night -- but not great. I can't imagine doing cardio if my life depended on it! I can do some light weights though, and will do some today at work. The dumbells at my office really do come in handy -- I highly recommend it, Nettie!
Today I'm just trying to drink enough + stay on track. I'm supposed to have dinner w/a friend tonight, which will be interesting. We're going for Ethiopian food, which might be the only thing I can taste at this point. At least I can be sure I won't want any wine that would sabotage my healthy eating plan! Just water + juice for me!
The most fabulous part? Oh yes. Not only did I get myself sick before my vacation, but I'm due to start my traditional PMS binging any day now. ARGH!!!! Actually, maybe my stuffy head will make me less interested in eating (par for the course with me), so I'll be less of a chow-monster this month! Ah, silver lining!
Old 06-13-2001, 07:20 AM   #9  

Red face

Good Morning Fatburners!

Everyone really seams to be working hard. I think exercise has been the reason for most of my weight loss. It has also made a big difference in everyday activities. I can help bring in the groceries without getting out of breath and having to sit down. I did my cardio and ab tape last night. I really think I need to move up a level on the cardio. Will check with cardiologist tomorrow for his opinion. I'm not having chest pains, so I don't see a problem.

OK. I am going to officially debunk the myth that TOM has anything to do with weight loss. I have had TOM here for the past 4+ weeks. Yep, that's right, a whole month of TOM. In that time I have lost 10 pounds! I had a Depro-provera shot two months ago. (So much for birth control making you gain weight.) I used to never have a period while on them. Now, that is all I have!! It takes three months for the shot to wear off, then I am going back on the pill. Just kidding about debunking the myth. The first week of this was just like having my period. With the bloating, *****ing and just plain yuck. At least the cramps have stopped. I hate PMS and if it does or does not affect my ablility to lose weight, it certainly puts me in a mood where I don't want to do anything.

Copperblu: I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. Take it easy and save your energy for your vacation. I don't think exercising would be a good thing right now, as your body needs all of its strength. Hope you have a great time on vacation!

What size weights do you use in your office? There was a study (John Hopkins) released recently about how women lose more weight if they build muscle with weight training. The benefits are even better than aerobic exercise. I think the fitness trend is starting to turn that way any how. More and more groups are pushing weight training. Body for life being one of them. Have you seen some of their results. Some of the people look good, some of them look like they went a little overboard. I don't want to be Miss Hardbody. I would just like a little muscle, so it can be burning fat when I am not.

Marvin: How is your hectic week going and how are your babies? Are you almost ready for your trip? That is great that you are still planning on working out everyday before your trip. It would be real easy to use that as an excuss. You go girl!

Stamper: Not only did you not gain on vacation, you probably built some muscle, too. Good for you! My stepdaughter comes back from camp this weekend and I hope to get all of us out the house to do some natural exercising. Perhaps we will venture off to the zoo. I haven't been there since I started exercising and losing weight, maybe I can make it all the way through now without getting out of breath. Oh, I just looked at the forecast. It is suppose to be 94 here on Saturday with a heat index of 114. Maybe we will go out very early.

Well, back to the bike tonight. My butt still hurts from Monday. What evil person designed bicycle seats? I would say it must have been a man, but I would assume the seats would be even more uncomfortable for them. What happened to the banana seats we had when we were kids. They were aerodinamic and could hold atleast another kid and a cat, if need be.

Have a great day everyone! And have a wonderful vacation Copperblu.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:22 AM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Wink

Boy am I gonna miss you guys! I won't be able to check in tomorrow, because we're going to dh's great uncle's funeral... then off on holidays....

I'll be doing my best to keep up to you guys, riding my bike a lot on holidays, and probably walking/hiking a lot too... but I'm really looking forward to just getting away.... I love camping, because it's so tranquil and peaceful in the mountains... I love it!

Thanks, Nettie, for asking about my babies! I am so in love with them! I've decided one will be named Snoopy, and I'm stuck for the other one... Got any good names for a black tabby & white spotted kitty? Perhaps Bessie? (as in the milk cow!)

Anyway, I'm not sure what will happen with my exercise schedule for the rest of the week with the funeral and all, but I'm gonna sure try to get my minimum three Curves workouts in, as they're having a deal where you get to enter your name for prizes when you get three workouts in in a week.... I love prizes! If all else fails, I'll make a special trip into town to get there! No, that's dedication, considering the price of gas!

Well, everyone, have a great week and a half without me, and I expect to have lots and lots to read when I get back!

Love ya!
Old 06-14-2001, 06:49 AM   #11  

Wish there was a smiley face for sore muscles. I did an upper and lower body strength training last night and rode my bike for 10 miles then did a cool down. I go to the cardiologist today to make sure my heart is still doing ok w/o any meds. I hope he does not put me on meds that will slow down my heart and make me tired. I was on those for a while before I got pregnant with my last baby. I haven't been back to him since she was born. Wish me well and If you are the praying kind, please say a little one for me. Thanks.

This board is going to be almost dead for the rest of this week and next week. That's ok. I am still posting everyday (except weekends). You all can read my progress when you get back. Maybe we will have some new members to catch up on then.

Hope everyone has a successful day and for those of you going on vacation, have a great time, get some exercise, but most of all, have a great time!
Old 06-14-2001, 02:47 PM   #12  

Nettie: I hope things go well for you at the cardiologist. I may have missed on a previous post what the problem is with your heart. I am glad you are able to be active though. How old are your children?

Marvin: I guess you won't see this until you get back. I am sorry to hear about your uncle. Take care and we'll look forward to hearing from you when you are back.

Copperblu: I am also under the weather. I felt great on Monday and Tuesday. I swam both days and also went for a walk Tuesday morning. Yesterday I was at the second day of those all day seminars and I was so cold and achy. My stomach is all upset. I stayed home from work today and did a lot of sleeping. I didn't get any exercise yesterday or today - I don't have the energy. Hopefully I will feel better. The upside is that I lost another pound - I guess from not eating. But I probably shouldn't count it since it will probably come back as soon as I am well and can eat a normal meal.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:59 AM   #13  

Hey Stamper,

I was begining to think I was going to have to talk to myself this week, with everyone on vacation. Take it easy while being sick. You need all your strength for your body. I think being sick is one of the few excuses allowed for not exercising. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the good wishes. Everything went very well at the doctor's office. My EKG is actually better now than it was last year. I think the exercise and eating right is really helping. I have to go see an arrithmia specialist and have another test done, but all looks good so far. My doctor was really pleased with my diet and exercise. He is my favorite cardiologist I have ever had. I had at least four! I have a heart condition called Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis (IHSS). A part of my heart does not function properly and as a result grows at an abnormal rate. Meaning that it gets larger (hypertrophic) and it lowers blood volume in my left ventrical. It also causes me to have a leaky valve. Two years ago, at 28, I had a heart attack. Strangly enough, most people with this don't have heart attacks. They just have heart faliure. But, I guess I'm not most people.

I have three kids. One is my husbands eleven y/o from a previous marriage and we have two together. A two y/o boy and an 8 month old gir. My husband stays at home with them and I work. Backwards to most people, but it works for us. My husband is a great husband and dad. He gets a little stir crazy sometimes, but I don't think he would go back to work full time if he had to.

Have a great day and I hope you feel better!

231/207/170

Last edited by Nettie1971; 06-15-2001 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2001, 08:56 AM   #14  

. . . and I forgot to mention. I was so pumped after I left the cardiologist office, that I walked right past the elevator and up three flights of steps! I could barely manage one flight two months ago!
Old 06-15-2001, 04:13 PM   #15  

Nettie, I am really glad to hear you did well at the cardiologist. I think it's great that you are eating right and exercising for your health. Is there anything that can be done for your condition such as surgery? One of my friends has some kind of valve problem and she said during one of her check ups she was told that she has had at least one heart attack but she can't remember anything occurring like that.

I think I remember you telling me your husband stays home with the kids and I said my husband did that for 2 years when our daughter was little.

I feel a lot better today. I didn't do anything but sleep yesterday and I barely ate. Today I went to work but I didn't eat much. I am going to have some canned chicken soup for supper. I might swim in our pool tonight if it isn't storming (it is only 83 but feels like 103 because it's so humid and all those nasty biting flies are out). I'll just take it easy and do some light exercize.

Anyway, I weighed today and I am now below the 200 mark (199). I hope it doesn't go back up when I start eating like a healthy person again.

Closed Thread