Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #31  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Princess
Jioning Curves want to know anybody else is doing or have tried and if any luck gonna try it till new years and see so thats 5 months
i joined Curves last year. They got my started on this fitness kick. I lost very little (less than 4 pounds) the first month. I thought I was eating healthy - ha! My diet was almost totally carbs. So I started Atkins and then the weight started dropping off around me!

I got bored with Curves after about 8 months and since I'd signed a year contract I was stuck. I transferred to 24 Hour Fitness and ended up paying for both memberships for a couple of months until my membership at Curves ran out.

It's a good place to start, but not a place to stay if you get easily bored, plus I need to change up my routine to keep my body guessing and Curves doesn't have that option. At 24 Hour I walk in and just do whatever I feel like that day.
FatVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #32  
low-carb forever!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Since it's a franchise business, it's up to the individual owners as to what they put into their branch. The two I've attended both require their staff to be trained in the use of the equipment and they are very anal about watching the group to be sure each person is working the equipment correctly. They will constantly correct your form. They post charts to show proper useage of each piece as well.

As well, one had 13 pieces and another had 14. I'd say one with 8 is very limited and on a tight budget.
8 is the minimum. Most clubs start with 8 and add as they can.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #33  
low-carb forever!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
I've never gone to Curves (I belong to a *regular* gym), but I wanted to maybe echo a little bit of what Mrs.Jim said. About 6 months ago, a Curves opened up just down the street from my gym. I was talking to one of the trainers (at my gym) recently and he said that MOST of their new clients over the last few months have been what he called "refugees from Curves," and that a lot of these women had sustained injuries on the hydraulic machines because they were never fully and properly trained to use them. It also really bothered him (and ME) that the person who owns the franchise needs no exercise background at all. None. He said that the employees need to know CPR, and that's it. Which makes me worry...
How on God's green earth do you hurt yourself on a hydrolic machine? I mean, they are created to reduce the chance of injury over "regular" machines and it would seem to me you'd have to actually try to injure yourself.

And so the person needs no background. So what? Many are women owning small businesses for the first time in their life. The lady who owns the one I went to was losing weight along with the rest of us. I saw her shrink before my eyes.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:52 AM   #34  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi Victoria,

I have no idea how these people hurt themselves . And I agree that it's fantastic that so many people (women, especially!) are out there owning their own businesses for the first time...great point. But I do think that having a management team that's trained in exercise physiology and/or the fitness field is really important in a gym environment.

Just my opinion . Like I said, I've never been to Curves -- I just wanted to pass on the info.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #35  

on your goal
I also think it is agreat palce to start, and get you moving on a regular basis thats why I am there, maybe i will change to a regualr gym but for now it perfect and I love it.
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 PM   #36  

Hello ladies,
I am new here, and was just talking to my friend today about Curves. I was thinking about joining at least to get some kind of exercise going. I have a lot of gadgets at home, but always find something else to do. I work night shift at a Hospital and there is a Curves on my way home, so I was thinking that I could stop by on my way home and do it. At least I know I'll be exercising 3 days a week.
My friend did it for awhile and liked it very much. She only stoped going there because she could only go at lunch time and the one near her house closes for lunch! (Can you believe it?).
Joaninha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

Well today was my 5th day of Curves, i gathered up enough guts to be measured and to be weighed in on their scale, after many days of weighing myself and getting used to what the scale said, I just want to get the full affect and know that when they measure me and weigh me in a month it will be official..I really hope i loose something.!
i'm finally getting compfy going to Curves and I even moved up from marching in place to a slow trot of sorts, so i'm happy about that...

Good luck to everyone out there and i'll check in soon!

CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #38  

Good for you keep it up
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #39  

Hey Ice Princess everybody else, well i'm feeling a little dissapointed today, and i'll tell ya why, so i've been working out for like 3 weeks, going to Curves 4 times a week, watching my eating, and weighing myself everyday, so Labor day weekend i decide not to weigh myself, and be surprised Tuesday Morning when i take my shower and such to weigh myself...
So i weigh myself today and i'm still at 280...not even ONE pound lost!
I'm feeling crushed, not sure if i should continue, i did workout today, but my mood was very somber....
Maybe it's too soon to loose anything, but i would have thought a pound or 2 wouldn't be out of the question...
I'm sorry i just had to vent for a bit and i knew that everybody must have felt at some point the way i do...

Thanks

Old 09-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #40  
low-carb forever!

I couldn't hardly lose anything until I started really agressive dieting. The on;y that helped me was a complete overhaul in my diet. COMPLETE overhaul. Working out is good and all, but until I started really dieting, I didn't lose. I hardly lost anything simply by "watching what I eat." I was still eating way too much of the wrong foods to lose anything.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #41  

I'am beyond "watching what i'm eating" that's called a figure of speech....
I was looking for some support, from ICEPRINCESS.....or anyone else that's supportive, and that can feel or has felt what i'm going through....

Good Day

CrazyRai
Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #42  
low-carb forever!

I do understand because I joined Curves and lost hardly anything after the first month. I was devastated. Here I was watching what I was eating and working my butt off 3 times a week...I just knew I'd lose a lot of weight, or at least gain some muscle. Instead, I hardly lost anything. THAT'S why I completely changed my diet because what I was doing wasn't really doing anything except giving me a better fitness level.

The best thing Curves did for me was get me started excercising and excited about working out. I was a member for a year.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #43  
Miracles Happen

I joined Curves about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! I couldn't be happier with it. I've got two people to join with me. I was always so scared to be weighed, but they made me feel so comfortable. My girlfriend joined about 3 weeks ago with me and has lost 7lbs. They do tell you that the first month you may lose lbs or inches or both. I am pretty sure I've lost quite a bit of inches, so that's good! Poundage wise, it looks like I've lost maybe two. I've noticed that I am being able to work the machines faster. I love the resistance training, as I am a TRUE CLUTZ I haven't hurt myself (except for running incorrectly on the resistance boards). :-p

Take care,
Tia
Journey2Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #44  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Crazy, don't focus so much on the weight, but have you also "measured"? You can lose inches and still not lose weight. Especially if you're new to exercise. At first, it may just be the toning redistributing your weight. Pay attention to how your clothes are feeling after awhile. You can still not lose weight and yet your clothes can get looser. If you go quite awhile with no weight change OR inches, then you might want to consider changing your calories to more/less (sometimes you can actually be eating too few calories) and/or increasing your exercise. Curves is actually good...for strength training. But you probably need to add some cardio to go with it. On the days you don't do Curves, try walking or exercise videos or something to get your heart rate up.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #45  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Default Does anyone do Tae Kwon Do along with Curves for Women?

Hi,

I started back with Curves about 3 weeks ago after a long break, about 6 months. Also, I joined a regular gym that has an indoor walking track, pool, etc. I walk at least a half mile a day, working up to a mile. Go to Curves min. 3 times a week. As of today, I also joined Tae Kwon Do with my son and husband (they joined four weeks ago and talked me into doing it). Those classes are 3-4 times a week for 1/2 hour and/or 45 min. depending on the class.

So, I was wondering what other people did instead of just Curves, or, rather in addition to Curves, specifically, if anyone does Tae Kwon Do and how that works for you, how long you have been doing it, if you like it, etc.

Thanks.
Kathy
Merritt Island, FL

At one time (about 4 years ago) I weighed 385 at my top weight. I am currently at 233 lbs and hope to get down to about 160-180. Not too picky. My biggest goal is to just get HEALTHY!
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote