Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #1  

Default Need some help! I don't get it!

Hey everyone...I just need a little advice. I began working out 2 weeks ago yesterday. I weight train 3 days a week and do cardio 5 days a week. I do 45 min. of cardio. The first week I gained 4.5 lbs, then the 2nd I lost 2.5 lbs, now today I peeked at the scale (I usually weigh in on Sundays) and I was up 5 lbs. I am at my highest weight ever now and I am eating better than ever and exercising. Now here is a little history. I have always been very active. I played competative softball up through my Junior year of college. I have always struggled with my weight, but once I started exercising on top of playing ball, and the weight came off. Then about 6 years ago I started gaining weight very fast-30 lbs in a month and then 20 more the next month-been tested a hundred times and nothing is wrong with me-so every time I would start an exercise program I would gain or stay the same for like 3 weeks-4weeks and then I would just give up. Now I just can't give up-I have to keep trying-what I don't understand is why am I gaining? I know muscle weighs more than fat-but my trainer says it shouldn't be causing me to gain like that so early or at all. I do not want to get frustrated and quit again. I feel so much better when I exercise. I have taken my measurements so I will check them in a month, but my question is...Is there anyone else out there with similar circumstances that has been successful with getting the weight off? I know the yo yo dieting has slowed my metabolism down, but I wouldn't think I should be gaining. I am eating around 1700 calories a day and drink about 100 oz of water a day. Any advice would be so great. By the way I don't feel it in my clothes either...everything feels the same....thanks for listening!!
libbysmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  

Hello!

I'm glad to see that you have decided to keep going with your exercise and your eating plan - good for you!

I know how it feels to gain when you start training, the same thing happened to me. Then after 3-4 weeks something happened, and I lost a lost. Now my weight is slowly going down. According to a book I just read (Total body makeover, Bob Greene) it happens because once you start to work out your body wants to store glycogen to fuel your muscles. 1g of glycogen can hold on to 3-4g of water. After a while, the body stops saving glycogen, and you lose the water weight. It kind of makes sense, but I hadn't heard of it before I read that book.

Measure yourself now and in a month, and see if you have lost inches even if you haven't lost any pounds. And be patient, you will lose weight eventually!

Good luck!
Anine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #3  

Thank you so much Anine...I really appreciate that...sounds like I should get that book as well. I will keep going..I refuse to give up...hopefully the same will happen for me that happened for you. Thank you again.
libbysmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yuppers I heard that too. When you start weight training you can initially see an increase in the water stored in your muscles which shows up on the scale - THANKS A LOT!

Keep going and don't give up, it sounds like you're doing everything right! It'll all sort itself out, just give your body a little time to cotton on to what you're trying to do! It can be a bit of a ****** sometimes!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #5  

Ok, everyone is different on their motivation, but I’ve given up on the scales. I turn into a crazy neurotic woman when I get on those scales after a week of busting my butt and not a blasted pound has come off. My husband actually hid the scales somewhere, and doesn’t plan on telling me where they are at any time soon. Tehee..I think he gets fed up when I go into “diva mode” over the scales. For me, I did about the same workout schedule you are doing and it took me about 3-4 weeks to start seeing noticeable results in my clothes. However, I did cut down to 1200-1500 calories a day. Maybe not focus on the pounds, but how good it makes you feel. I love the feeling that I get after weight training. I feel empowered, like I can do anything that I put my mind to. Keep up the great work..the results are right around the corner!!!
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbysmom03
I do not want to get frustrated and quit again. I feel so much better when I exercise.
Then hold onto that. Exercise isn't ONLY about weight loss, although that's usually why we start. At 33 weeks pregnant right now, I certainly don't have weight loss goals in mind, but I STILL keep up my exercise at least 5 days a week. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll get out of the habit. And I like how it makes me feel afterward...revs me up and gets me feeling like I can tackle the rest of the day. So even if you don't see a weight loss for some time, hold onto the other good reasons for exercise to keep it going.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote