Should I be exercising more?

• I was reading an exercise post and I noticed that a lot of you girls are doing the elliptical for about 45 minutes – 1 hr. My cardio workout usually consists of 35 min on the elliptical and 15-20 min on the arc glider. According to the machines, I am burning about 500 calories in each one of my cardio sessions. My weightloss has been *extremely* slow and I feel as if I maybe should bump up the cardio? Say maybe go up to 45 minutes on the elliptical?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • I forgot to add that I was exercising a good 5-6 days a week. However, I became a little discouraged and have dropped down to about 3-4 days a week. I plan to bump it back up to at least 5.
  • There's no problem if you exercise more. I usually do an hour on the elliptical 4-5 days a week with every other day strength training. If you feel that you can do more, you should. But do not press yourself to do more than you feel your body can do. If you up the exercise chances are your weight loss will increase.
  • If you increase your exercise just be sure you are getting enuf calories and not too little.
  • Think about incorporating strength training into your work out schedule. I saw results much faster when I started lifting weights. I have not bulked up or gotten any bigger, like most women who are afraid of lifting think. Everything on me is just tighter. I fit into smaller clothes now than when I was this same weight a few years ago. Just thought I'd mention it
  • Remember that strength training makes you gain muscle and that burns calories much, much more efficiantly than fat (muscle can burn up to 50 cal. an hour vs. fat which is 3 cal).
  • If yo feel like you can do more than it probably wouldn't hurt. Just make sure that you don't overdue it. These ladies are right about adding weights, that can make all the difference, maybe you could also do some circuit training a few days each week.
  • I could be wrong, but my understanding also is that if you increased your intensity for the same activity / same time, you should see results again as well. Your body may have gotten used to the cardio time, so maybe making it just a smidgen harder.

can anyone please correct me on this if i'm wrong? thanks!