Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #1  

Default Treadmill or Stationary bike?

Hi, I am new here and am a new mom looking to lose all the baby fat.

I used to workout on a treadmill before, but it broke recently. I have an option of fixing it. But I have a weak right knee that I just dont have the time to rehabilitate now. So I can exchange the treadmill for a bike as well.

But I am looking for challenging cardio weight loss options. Will the bike be as good as the treadmill in losing weight all over the body? What are your suggestions?

TIA,
Ramya
goodgirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #2  

I say go with the treadmill. I always got a better workout on a treadmill versus a bike.
SlimCurvesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #3  

There was a thread similar to this a few months back and most people said treadmill. I personally LOVE my bike. It actually burns more calories than a treadmill and I figure I can always walk outside of I still want to do that. Plus, I do all my reading while on the bike and can't do that on the treadmill. The treadmill is ok to watch TV on but I like to read, it makes the time go faster in my opinion. My hubby has bad knees and can't take the treadmill at all. He only does bike and it doesn't bother his knees at all.

It's really up to you on which you prefer.
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #4  

Have you considered an elliptical machine? It will get your heart rate up into the right range but is very easy on the knees. If that's not an option, I would stick with the bike.

I love the treadmill but I can only use the one at the gym about once a week or every two weeks or else my bad knees will ache for days afterwards. If your knee is in bad shape, I would go with the bike or the constant impact of the treadmill could injure it further.
Sister Mergatroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

It's funny but for me the bike is harder on my knees than running ... When I bike my knee aches I can run 12k and my knee doesn't bother me at all, so we are all different I guess. I also find that on a stationary bike I don't get the intensity I want from when I walk briskly or run...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #6  

the bike makes my butt hurt.. i can but on a bike for an hour and all that i can feel is my butt.. a tred mill makes me work harder
sugarbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:40 PM   #7  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I'm really easily bored on both the treadmill and bike -- so, I'm an elliptical chick, myself. If you've never tried one before, you could go to a sporting goods store or Sears or whatever and try it out. Just for something different.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #8  

Thanks for all that. I've decided to try the elliptical first and see if I like it. There is also the question of space at home. Else I'm going for the bike.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #9  

whats an elliptical?
sugarbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #10  

I hope that outside links can be posted here.

check this out for ellipticals:
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...elliptical.jsp
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #11  

Thumbs up Have you thought about this

You might want to consider an elliptical trainer. They are wonderful if you have joint problems and you get a full body workout. In fact I like it more than the treadmill and I get better results but If I were choosing between a stationary bike and a treadmill I would probably go with the bike. I get better results walking outside.

good luck on your weightloss endeavors
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote