Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:25 AM   #1  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Post Trying to work up the courage...

I'm trying to work up the courage to sign up to run a 5k race! I've been running 3 times a week for the past two weeks and it is going well. I'm up to running 1 mile now and each time I run I run easier and spend less time walking.
I have plenty of time to train as the race isn't until November, its just that I'm still pretty big (257 lbs) but mostly I'm just a 'fraidy cat. Afraid to be the biggest person running the race and afraid my DH will think I'm crazy. He knows I've been running and working to be more fit so my fear is irrational in that regard. I guess its just part of that whole fear of the unknown and taking those first few steps out of my comfort zone.
I would like to hear what others' experiences have been when they ran their first race. Especially if you were still running with extra weight at the time.
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #2  

OMG, Laura - do it - my first 5K totally changed my life (no kidding)

I was plodding along in my journey, getting over an illness, and ready to get back to making myself feel better, both physically and emotionally. In the middle of Feb 05 I decided to start training for my 1st 5K schedule for the end of Apr 05. My personal trainer helped me develop a program to take me from walking 3.5 mph to jogging at 4.2 - 4.5 mph. I started slow - 1 min jogging, 2 min walking to eventually 3 min jogging 1 min walking. The day of the race was so exciting - DH was there and my trainer ran the course with me - talking to me, encouraging me, reminding me to enjoy myself. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. From getting my race packet and bib the day before to riding the bus to the start point and wandering around waiting for the start - people watching, talking with other runners, soaking it all it ... the start was exciting and exhilerating. I was so proud of my self for actually starting - there was no way I ever thought I would be there. When I saw the finish line and realized I was going to FINISH something changed inside me once I crossed that line, in my mind, I changed and became and ATHLETE. The joy I felt that day has not left me. I look at the pictures DH took and still love the pure joy on my face that day

A 5K is a great race - there are runners, joggers, walkers and everything in between. Everyone is friendly and supportive. I have never once (NEVER EVER) been criticized by any runner on my size, either in the race or during my training. Rather, they are encouraging and supportive - from the guy who fit my shoes to runners I pass on the local jogging trails. Please, Laura, GO FOR IT!!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Go for it! It's fun and it's a reasonable goal. Don't mention to DH that you are planning on doing it until closer to the time, if you don't expect him to be supportive. Mine is just now getting into the spirit of my running. Now, he's saying "isn't today your running day? Go run, I'll fix dinner."

I joined a running club that has some beginning runner programs. I did my first 5 K last month. It took me 44.16 minutes to drag myself to the finish line and let me tell you I was sure they had mislabeled the course, it had to have been longer then 3 miles...

There are lots of heavy people running the 5K's. Just make sure you train properly. Do you have a training plan?
This web site has great information for new runners.
http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Check and see if your local running club has beginner programs. For me, it's been great for the accountabiltity. I run 2 x a week with the group and 2x a week by myself. I have to do the times by myself because I won't be able to keep up with my friends when we run as a group.

Also, some of the running shoe stores will sponser programs.
http://www.fleetfeet.com/ is one example.

How fast are you running? Check and see how long the course will be open. Some 5K's are for speed and they close the course after a set time. Most are fun runs and they leave the course open until the last person strolls in.

Good luck, train smart and have fun.
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I am absolutely the worst runner ever. Every so often I try it and then find that hate it even more than I remember. Even when I was a gymnast (in absolutely incredible shape) and everyone had to run miles and miles as part of training I would slow to a walk everytime I was out of the sight line of my coach.

Anyway, I said that to say this: reading your post Ellen makes ME want to go out and run a 5k. I don't think you could possibly not do it now taekwandomom. Be careful when you ask for encouragement around here.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks everyone!
The 5K I'm looking at is a fundraising run, only $20 to register. I can see no reasons why I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm thinking I might see if some of my fellow Tae Kwon Do students would like to form a team so I would have some training buddies.
I have good shoes, very important as I have a high arch and need lots and lots of cushioning, and a good supportive bra, also very important.
To train I am using a 8 Week 5K program from Womens Health magazine. (I absolutely love that magazine!) The program designers assumed that you hadn't been running and start you off easy; the article also included some extremely helpful info on buying a good shoe for your foot type.
I'm running a 12 minute mile! I was very surprised by that and had to drive my route to double check I had the milage right, and yup, it's correct!
I don't think the race has a time limit though, so it won't really matter. But it makes me happy to know I can run a 12 minute mile. By the race in November, perhaps it will be a 10 minute mile? How cool would that be?!
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Do it!!! I was about 216 when I ran my first (and so far only) 5k, and I managed it in 28 minutes or so, which really amazed me. I didn't think I'd even hit 30 minutes. I did a big fundraising run where there were lots of walkers and not too many very serious runners, it was all a lot of fun, and more than acceptable to get round however fast you could manage, even if that was glacially slow.

I loved it so much I'm now doing a charity 10k!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Go taekwondomom!! GO!! You won't be sorry guaranteed. With the adrenaline going on race day you will probably do better than you've ever done... A 12 minute mile is excellent!! We'll support you all the way. Come join us on the weekly Cool Runners thread...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote