Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #1  

Default A good bike for heavy person

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good mountain bike (though truthfully will not be used for mountains) that will support extra weight? This will be my birthday present next month as my granny bike is just not giving me enough exercise.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

My advice is to go to a bike shop (not Wal-Mart, Costco, etc) and talk to them. I suspect most well-made bikes would do the trick, as they're pretty sturdy. I'd be more concerned with the way you feel on it, and the "extras" like shocks, and how the shift changers work, etc. Have fun! I never ride my mountain bike on mountains either, and not often off of pavement. Just be sure to tell them that - be honest - because the off-road tires are often very knobby and won't do well on pavement or even smooth gravel. I changed mine for sort of "all terrain" which stop much better, aren't as skittery, etc.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

That was going to be my suggestion too... Go see a reputalbe bike dealer for the right fit for you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

I weigh 240 pounds and am 5'5" and ride a Trek 1500. It isn't a mountain bike (it is a road bike) but rides very nice, I just did a 100 mile bike ride and felt great. I don't know what your situation is, but if you are not in the best of shape, a mountain bike will actually be fairly difficult to ride as it will grab the road b/c the tires are thicker. The road bike has thinner tires making life much easier. If you aren't comfortable with that, you may want to look at a hybrid. Another option is a Townie (http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/...wnie_home.html) It has "flat foot technology" which essentially means you can always reach your feet down and touch the ground. I think they are cute, kinda retro. Hope that helps! Biking is my current obsession-- I don't even like organized sports and am addicted to the Tour de France. Who knew! Good luck!!
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #5  

I totally agree with KidsLibraryLady that a mountain bike is harder to ride. This is speaking from experience. Of course it didn't help that I was in the wrong gear and going up a very steep hill but it is a totally different feel from a street bike or my old 10 speed from way back. Definitely try them out before you buy. There is nothing worse then investing in a bike and then not riding it! And lets not get into how sore your bottom gets. That's a whole other story ! It is great exercise but just don't try to do too much too fast. Have fun!
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #6  
singletrack chick

go to a bike shop and try out different kinds of bikes. road, mountain, hybrid. i ride my cyclo cross for road. its set up like a road bike, but the tires are a little thicker, more heavy duty. skinny road tires scare me. our roads are in terrible condition. my cyclocross is far easier to ride on the road when it comes to pedalling. however, when it comes to eating up the jolts in the road, my cross country mtn bike is far superior. definitely forget costco/walmart and the like. its not worth your money or time.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #7  

Thank you for all the advice. I didn't even know there were all these different types out there. I have a lot of research to do.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #8  

I also just purchased a new bike, and this marks the first time I have been on a bike in over 12 years! And, guess what, it is "just like riding a bike"...it all came back quite quickly. I too went to a bike dealer and wound up with a Trek 7200, hybrid bike, here is the link:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/City...7200/index.php

These are great for both pavement and trails, kind of combines the road and mountain bike aspects. It is quite comfortable and really easy to control, it was worth the extra money about $380. total. Also, the benefit of going to a dealer is that they usually guarantee the bike and provide routine maintenance as part of the package...mine came with lifetime maintenance and this was reassuring in case weight related "wear and tear" becomes an issue.

Good Luck!
tlcstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #9  

Thanks for all your ideas. We are going to a bike store today to look at hybrids and specifically -- an electrabike.