Cool Runners # 13 -- July 4 - 10

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • .... Happy 4th to our American Friends!!

Who's running today and training for what this week...

Moi, no running today but a good leg workout!

Next !!
  • yesterday did 2.6 km, today 5 km. My R knee hurts after a couple of minutes so i have to run-walk-run-walk. I hope this gets over soon but I am cutting back on kms for now.
  • Yesterday, day off for me. This morning I had to force myself out of bed to do my 6k tempo run. I have a sore throat/cold so I didn't want to get up. But the part of my brain that remembered that 1) a short run would improve my cold symptoms temporarily and 2) I'd feel guilty by 9am if I didn't get out there, managed to win over control of my body, so I got up and out the door.

Rabbit, be careful with your knee. Take days off or do some other sort of cardio instead if it's bothering you.
  • I ran on Canada day and cut 3 minutes off of my fastest 10K. I probably could have done it sub 65, BUT it was boiling hot and humid on Friday morning. Still a friend of mine said I finished really strong so that made me feel good.

I am doing the Boilermaker 15K this weekend so that should be fun! I have to get some greenbacks before I leave, I am looking forward to it!

I have a tempo 4K tomorrow. Tonight a regular 6K and Thursday a 4K steady. I had a rest and Ice day yesterday!

Cheers!

Ali
  • I walked 2.0 miles today after not doing anything for 2 weeks! Wow But I started out yesterday getting my butt back on the ball and going on.
  • Good for you MrsD! Must be something going around--I could have written your post today myself.

Ali, congrats on your 10K. Sounds like you did a fabulous job, especially given the weather.

Only, I'm impressed with your fortitude. Did you feel better? Can't stand to run when I'm sick myself. Fortunately I don't get sick very often, although I'm guessing that will change when my little germ incubator finally arrives!

rabbit, take care of your knee!

Hi Ilene. Are you running today?

Anne
  • Hi Anne How ya doin' sweet mommy-to-be? Didn't run today but had an awesome chest, shoulder, and tricep workout ... I'd like to run though but it's so dang hot and humid. BUT I may go to the gym and hop on the for a half hour or so...
  • It's my first 5k tomorrow evening, and I'm starting to worry. I know I can run it, but I'm just worried that something will go wrong.

Still, even if I only run half of it I will have run far further than I was able to last year, and there's no reason why I can't run it all, I've run 10k before (once, but I still ran it, and 7 - 8k a couple of times).

I've not run much in the past 10 days, 1 - 1.5k a couple of times, hopefully my legs will be nice and fresh tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!
  • Hi cool runners,

Anne - how much longer untill you are a mummy ?
    Mrs D - good for you to be beack on track !
    Only me, Anne - thanks for the knee support.

The R knee is bothering so I'm cutting back to more walking and less running. I managed to get in 3 kms today and UBW.

have a great day
    rabbit
  • Thanks for the support ladies. I have been doing some light lifting and lately all of my body parts feel about a ton heavier LOL But I am slowly working back up to running. Because i was so sore this morning I just did a brisk 2 mile walk. I think I want to get my stamina back up and then start running again next week but for this week I want to take it slow and easy.

As far as my slump I really can't even explain that one it was a deep situation and I now see how horrible I feel when I don't exercise. I never really noticed the difference before like I do now. I feel tons better when I stay active, as opposed to beating myself up then feeling sorry for myself and not exercising at all. This truly an eye opening experience. Now I just have to get past the road blocks of my mind and get this thing together and get this weight off.

BTW Ilene, I know your an avid weightlifter. Is it normal to feel alot heavier after lifting weights when everything is sore? I've been doing lunges, double arm french presses and sidebends all with 10 lb weights and I feel heavier instead of lighter and LORD HAVE MERCY everything is sore. I'll take this to the ladies who lift thread but I though you might be able to give me some advice on that.
  • MrsD -- It's absolutely norman to feel heavier after a good workout because your muscles are retaining water and healing from the weight training... I NEVER weigh myself after a good leg workout, even the day after legs I may not weigh-in because I know the scale will be higher and that plays such a dang mind game on me... drink plenty of water and the heaviness will go away, also stretchin helps too...

I'm off to do some back/biceps/abs... I also want to do some TTFN...
  • Yes! I did my first 5k race in 28 minutes 37 seconds. I've never broken through 30 minutes before (or even 31) so I'm absolutely ecstatic and already planning my first 10k!
  • Congratulations YP1 woohoo you go!!! that is awesome. Wow a 28 minute 5 k is like a 9:33 minute mile wow that's fantastic!!! Training pays off doesn't it?

Ilene thank you so much for comfirming that for me, I was really getting worried and one day I actually did step on the scale a little after a workout and the scale registered like 3 or 4 lb weight gain. I got frustrated and walked away but I was determined not to give up. I drink TONS of water a day so I know that has something to do with it also. Thanks for the excellent info on that your a peach

Quick update on my lunch I did a 30 minute ride on the fitness centers bicycle and I am feeling great!
  • Congrats YP1!! That's a great accomplishment...
  • Congratulations YP1!

Today ran 3.5 kms on the treadmill and did 30 mins basic power yoga