Anyone use a gazelle?

• I have been walking on my treadmill and going to curves but I just found out yesterday I have plantar fasciitis in both my feet so I am no longer supposed to use the treadmill . I am trying to find something that is not too expensive to use that will keep the pressure off of my feet. I was wondering if anyone has a gazelle and if they like it?
  • Yes I have one and I love it! I try to get on it every afternoon for 25 minutes.

it is easy on your feet also. I have a friend who's husband has a bad foot and can not walk that much without it hurting but he has now got the gazelle and is useing it every day and says there is no pain in his foot with it.

I am also going to curves, I joined two weeks ago and really like it also.

Good luck
  • is it easy on the knees? I'm thinking of getting either a gazelle or a welso wirwalker, but have horrible knees.
  • Be sure to get the Gazelle with the resistance pistons, and make sure you use them. With enough resistence applied, the Gazelle is roughly equivalent to the treadmill.
  • I just "inherited" a gazelle from my mom-OWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! It killed my calves on the 1st day. I feel like I did something wrong? And, I am an experienced exerciser, so... Just my imput! Good luck!
  • I didn't like it and found it a waste of time, it doesn't shape my legs the way lunges or the crosstrainer at the gym does. But if all you are trying to do is get your heartrate going its great for that!
  • Did your doctor recommend some orthotics for your plantar fasciitis? My g/f has that same thing and since wearing orthotic and having ultrasound therapy done she can still go for her walks ....
  • I had PF about 3 years ago and orthotics were the recommended treatment - plus to avoid doing anything that hurt - duh! Takes a long, long time to heal.

Anyway, my sister has a gazelle and uses it pretty faithfully. It is a decent cardio exercise if you make yourself work hard enough. Have you tried an elliptical or cross-trainer. There is no impact on your feet on these and you get a good workout - even with bad knees (again, because there is no impact involved). On the con side though, since there is no impact, neither is a true "weight-bearing" excercise like walking or running which you should have to help prevent osteoporosis.
  • My doc said "I'll send you over for shots". I said "no thanks". That freaks me out.

She is going to send me to a class where they will teach me stretches and such. She also told me to go for the orthotics which I just went and got from my chiropractor.

I actually decided to get the elliptical (bought one on Saturday). My dh liked it better then the gazelle. I did it yesterday and man is it different then anything else I have done. I will have fun adjusting .
  • What kind of elliptical did you get if you don't mind me asking?
  • It's a reebok. I got it at Sports Authority on sale for $399 usually $799 so I thought why not.
  • It sounds like you got a great deal! The one I have is the Orbitrek Platinum which I love. I like the ones at the gym better but I don't have the space for that kind of machine. I hope you enjoy yours. At first I could barely do 10 minutes on mine. It gets easier the more you do it!
  • It's really kicking my . I was jogging on the treadmill so I thought this was going to be easy. Boy was I wrong!! My heart rate keeps getting too high and it's really hard to slow it down on this machine. I feel like I'm going in slow motion. Also it really, really makes me sweat. I'll just keep at it.
  • That's exactly how I felt when I first started. I was amazed how fast my heartrate went up when I used it. But if you keep at it by just adding 5 minutes to your workout you'll get up there in no time. I was so tempted to get a treadmill because I love to walk and I also use Leslie Sansone walking workouts but sometimes I like to workout while I watch TV and I can't do that with a video. It's funny but I usually watch the Food Network when I work out. Probably not a very good idea!
  • I just got Leslie Sansone WATP 1,2,3 miles and her 1,2,3 abs. I tried both of the 1 mile ones (I know I should'nt be doing them but I can't help myself) and they are not enough although the make me sweat. I am going to try the 2 mile one today after curves if my feet don't hurt to much.