Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #1  

Angry 60-90 mins a DAY? HOW!?!?!?

From the USDA guidelines:
To lose or maintain weight, we should engage in 60 to 90 minutes of moderate level exercise each day.

How am I supposed to do that? I hardly have time for 60-90 mins 2-3 times a week!
fatbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #2  

It doesn't have to be all in one go -- you could take three 10-minute walk breaks during the day, in addition to a 30-minute true "exercise" session, for example. And, if you don't yet have the stamina for that, ANY exercise is better than none.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #3  

Angry

Walking is really bad on my arthritic knees. I have a stationary bike which is about the only aerobic exercise my Dr. will let me do. I just don't have an hour a day to spend on it.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just fit it in when you can

I gotta say that when I first started getting off my butt and exercising...at 265 pounds...my knees hurt...my inner thighs hurt from rubbing together...and the most I could manage was a walk around the block! (man that was a LONG time ago...things have totally changed since then to say the least!)

How about swimming - have you asked your doctor about swimming? That's usually considered low-impact and easy on the knees...

And like FG said, ANY exercise is better than none at all...

What you want to do though is 'work up' to the 60-90 minutes a day goal. Take it a little at a time - maybe add an extra 5-10 minutes a week...and I would also suggest that (with doctor's consent) you might consider investing in an *outdoor* bike to use along with your stationary bike. I don't know where you live, but here in California we're getting some GORGEOUS weather right now...great biking weather and ya know what I've found - is that the more FUN you're having in your exercise (whatever you do) the more often and the longer you'll DO it! Exercise doesn't have to be a CHORE...get into the *FUN* mindset and you'll be surprised!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Another great way for someone with arthritis to get exercise in is to try Yoga or Pilates... I know for a fact that Yoga is good, Pilates must be just as good because I hear it's quite close to Yoga... Like the girls said you have to start slow. Depending on your abilities at the moment it could take 6 to 8 months even up to a year, but hey, where will you be in a year if you don't start?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #6  
Om shanti

Fitting in exercise is a very difficult, no question. I personally don't find the time, myself, and consequently struggle, very hard, to maintain my weight-loss. The choice is ours: Either make the time -- put aside doing other things -- or suffer the consequences.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #7  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

The time spent exercising is worth it because it gives you more energy during the rest of your time.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #8  

I'm actually in ok shape as far as it goes. If I have a good book I can spend 2 hours on the bike before I even notice, but I dont have a lot of time lately to even spend 2 hours reading a book except on the train to and from work.

I am trying to get myself to wake up early to workout, but that's not going well.

I love to swim, but really am grossed out by public pools. Plus I dye my very long hair odd colours and swim caps really pull and hurt.

I did get an under desk cycle so I can use that while I am on the computer at home.

p.s. Outside exercise is bad for me. I am translucent, burn within 5 mins and have scads of allergies.

p.p.s. Yes, I know I am impossible! SORRY!
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbat
I'm actually in ok shape as far as it goes. If I have a good book I can spend 2 hours on the bike before I even notice, but I dont have a lot of time lately to even spend 2 hours reading a book except on the train to and from work.

I am trying to get myself to wake up early to workout, but that's not going well.

I love to swim, but really am grossed out by public pools. Plus I dye my very long hair odd colours and swim caps really pull and hurt.

I did get an under desk cycle so I can use that while I am on the computer at home.

p.s. Outside exercise is bad for me. I am translucent, burn within 5 mins and have scads of allergies.

p.p.s. Yes, I know I am impossible! SORRY!
I always say "where there's a will, there's a way". And if you want it BADLY enough - you'll find a way! Rather than focusing on the negative (I can't do this...I don't have time...etc) accentuate the POSITIVE and find a way to do it!

I'm one of those early early AM exercisers...it took time to 'train' myself to do so - but now I have no problem getting up and out of bed and to the gym by 4:30 or so. (tip - having hungry kitties walking on you to wake you up helps too!)

I was reading Oprah Magazine this month - the April issue - she looks AWESOME BTW...and she was answering Boot Camp questions. This one RESONATED and I think it's worth quoting here:

Quote:
I've been trying most of my life to lose weight, but when I do, I can't keep it off. Now I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. I work full-time and go to school, so it's hard to get to the gym. Could you tell me what has helped you, besides hiring a personal trainer, which I can't afford?
— Maribel Jiminez, 27, Texas

You say you can't bear to look at yourself in the mirror. I can relate. I felt that way every day I was more than 200 pounds. But I also know that you do not need a personal trainer or a gym to get fit. You need a decision. A decision on your part to take action, which means educating yourself about what to eat and making a commitment to start moving—a half mile, then a mile, two miles, one step at a time. My point is this: If you can't find time to work out, then you don't want to lose the weight. It's simply a matter of physics. So ask yourself what you're willing to do. And if you aren't prepared to exercise and cut down on your volume of food as a way of life, stop wasting time feeling bad about your weight and move on to something else.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

And as funniegrrl said, it doesn't have to be all in one go. Nor do you have to do 60-90 minutes a day from the first day you decide to make exercise a priority. Work up to it. Start with 5 or 10 minutes a day, after that's a habit, add another 5, and so on. It's a real catch 22, you feel too bad to exercise, but exercise will make you feel better. . . but you can do it! I watched my sister lose over 80 lbs (while waiting for WL surgery - she still had a lot to lose) by doing just 2 things: exercising the best she could with arthritis and asthma (1/2 hour 5x week on one of those glider/striding things), and when she was eating taking very small bites and putting her fork down between bites. She went into the surgery in much better shape than many people do and is doing really well. But by making very specific, attainable goals, and so being able to meet them, she maintained a positive attitude, and saw results. I don't have as far to go, but I try to adopt her philosophy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

.... Just ... DO IT !! Is my motto!! Right On Mrs.Jim !! Great article, was that actually Oprah answering?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
.... Just ... DO IT !! Is my motto!! Right On Mrs.Jim !! Great article, was that actually Oprah answering?
I would bet it was...that's what the article says anyway. She IS an inspiration!

Actually...the Q&As are online in case you don't have the magazine - on her website at this link.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

You would be surprised at how easy it actually could be to get in 60 to 90 minutes of exercise. I was actually working on around 90 minutes a day of aerobics, running, weights, etc. when I realized that I don't have to actually spend 90 minutes doing all that. So I cut my routine down a bit. I generally go for about 60 minutes, but lately, I tire easily with pregnancy so stay with around 30 to 45 minutes a day.

HOWEVER, that is in addition to...parking far away from every door. I get in lots of walking. I park at the very back of every lot and always return my shopping buggy. That's 4 treks across the full length of the lots. I will also stand and march in place with hand weights while watching television, rather than sitting on the couch. Try getting up just 15 minutes early and doing 15 minutes of exercise in the morning, take half of a one hour lunch and spend it on brisk walking, or even running if your office has a shower. Fifteen minutes in the morning, 30 at lunch, and 15 in the evening and you already have your 60 minutes. Get out for a bicycle ride in the evening or just take another brisk walk or a short jog. Go roller skating with your kids. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #14  
Meg

The Maintainers Forum had a discussion here about the new exercise guidelines when they were first announced. We had another exercise discussion here and in our Thin For Life book discussion in the Maintenance Library, we talked more about exercise and weight loss and maintenance here. If you skim through the threads, you'll see that many successful losers and maintainers do indeed exercise for 60 - 90 minutes a day, almost every day. Whether you love it or hate it, you just have to make up your mind to DO IT, like Ilene says.

Exercise is a scheduled-in part of my day. It's not optional, period. I'd never consider skipping a shower or, heaven forbid, a meal , and likewise would never dream of skipping exercise. I know - beyond the shadow of a doubt - that I will never be able to keep these 120 pounds off without daily exercise, so that's enough motivation to keep me going!

Sandi (JacobsMommy), the mod in the 100+ Club, has a great saying in her signature that sums it all up: If you really want to do this you'll find a way...if not...you'll find an excuse.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #15  
prepare for the BEST time

I found this thread to be one of the most motivating and important. I re-started myself last month and am currently on my 5th week of consistent exercise....like MrsJim, I do it first thing in the morning....yes sometimes I have to get up at 430 (and have very PERSISTANT, hungry Maine Coones who demand feeding by talking loudly) to fit it in, but it is WORKING! I started out with 20-30 mins. and now do 40-55 mins. between 5-6 times per week. I just hit the 4 hours per week mark and add on between 5-10 mins. every week, I make a game of it.

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the other day when 2 different people (at different times) on the fact that I looked "smaller"!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote