Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #1  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Question Pre-Work Out Food..

Ok, so I had been working out first thing in the morning and then eating breakfast after. That still works for me. However, I've recently started working out after work (sometimes in addition to the morning cardio) and I can't seem to find the balance between being famished during my workout or feeling sick because of the food in my stomach.
I don't have to eat a lot, but I have to eat SOMETHING before I go. I haven`t really found a food that works for me.
Any ideas on a good pre-work out snack or a better plan of action?
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #2  

I can not live with empty stomack. I have to have something there. I am kind of in your shoes - I bike to work and while I bike int he morning after breakfast and downhill, when I bike home, it is uphill and I am hungry. I bike for 16km so sometimes right after the steepest hill (and I still have 4 km to go) I feel like I am going to drop dead right there.

I have 3 alternatives which I list here with the results beside each of them:
1. Fruit and nut bar right before I leave (I just like the taste and it is not sugary, BUT since I bike almost for 55 minutes, I often feel like after 30 min it is all used up and fatigue creeps up again - so if you need about 30 min it is a solution)
2. Protein shake - I use only 1 scoop of chocolate flavoured Whey protein shake... After that I can do more than 16km and I show the best time ever and usually on those days when I use protein shake I feel the best... Taste of it really needs to get used to, it took me 2 different brand names to come up with this one - suggestion - if you crave sweets, find sucralose sweetened and if you are not (I do crave them but not too much) - I use ISO Whey from Interactive nutrition.
3. Fruit like banana or nectarine... Love those ones bus again, if your workout is long, they do not last...

Hope it helps. Protein shake also kills hunger for about 1-2 hours. I use it with milk and they can give you shake cup with lid to make shakes at work...
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #3  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

I always eat a Luna bar on my way to Curves. It's specifically designed for women nutrition-wise, and it comes in low-carb form too, although the regular kind doesn't have many carbs to it either. And it doesn't taste nasty like most other nutrition bars I've tried.
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Xuzi, I love Odwalla bars, but can't find the chocolate ones I like anymore. So I just picked up some Luna's the other day...the Smores. They're excellent!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:11 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I usually eat my typical small breakfast (cereal w/milk and fruit) before my workouts in the morning -- if I eat too much though, I get cramps when I start running. If I am working out in the afternoon, I'll have a cup of yogurt with granola or flaxseed in it.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #6  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Oooh lots of good ideas!! Thanks guys!
Now I need to go make a grocery list...
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #7  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Xuzi, I love Odwalla bars, but can't find the chocolate ones I like anymore. So I just picked up some Luna's the other day...the Smores. They're excellent!
Try the Chocolate Peppermint Stick flavor. *drool*
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote