Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Default any good arm work outs?

Ok, so my upper body is way smaller than my lower body. I am a classic, pear shape. I always want to tone up my upper body just to give it some shape and definition. This has worked, in the past, I had sloping shoulders and it was alost like my head was the top of a triangle. now I have better broader shoulders so I know it can work. Problem is, I used to take classes that involved weights, and I also used some of the nautilus machines. But that was at a differnt gym that was farther a way and I went there when I had more time on my hands. No I joined the YMCA right near my house and its OLD school, the only weight machine they have is an old universal thing which I think pre dates me. I'm sure it can work I just dont' know how.

Ok, so after that long intro, here is the question, what are some good arm work outs either on the universal or just with hand weights? I try to do the hand weights but most of the time I'm like what should I be doing? Is this working? and then I say ahhh screw it I'll just do some cardio. But I really want to get my arm definition back and help balance out my lower body. If you can point me to any sites or places with some arm work outs broken down, I would apprciate it.

Thanks,
Jennie
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #2  
Collie Mommie

Hi there!
I usually do front rises, lateral rises and shoulder presses using hand weights.
Front rises - hold weights in hands with palms facing down and raise your arms in front of your body. I use about 10 lbs. for these, and do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Lateral rises - hold weights same way and raise arms to the sides. I use 8 lbs. and do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Shoulder press - hold weights up on either side of your head (about ear level) with elbows bent and palms facing forward and extend arms up and over your head in an arc so the meet at the center above your head. I use 12 lb. and do 3 sets of 12 reps for these.
The weights sound kind of wimpy (and I have worked up to these weights over 3 months), but these exercises are harder than they sound.
If my descriptions are crummy, you can probably get better ones by googling the different exercise types - you might even find pictures.
Hope this helps!
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:14 PM   #3  
Meg

Hi Jennie! Let me throw in a few exercises for biceps and triceps to add to the outstanding shoulder exercises that Marilyn described:

Bi's
DB (dumbbell) curls
DB hammer curls
Incline DB curls (on an incline bench)
Cable curls - if the Universal has a cable station

Tri's
Overhead DB extensions
Kickbacks
Lying extensions (DBs)
Bench dips

You can see little demos of these and lots of other exercises at Fitsite and Exrx.net.
Hope that helps!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #4  
Made my Goal weight!

Jennie

Do you have kids?? If so lift them as much as possible, making sure to switch arms often as you do not want to be lopsided....If you do NOT have kids of your own, get someone elses and do beforementioned as often as possible...Try to find kids 6 months and up....10-20lbs...(hehehehehe)

lol...Sorry, thats what I do...except my left arm is stronger than my right...but, what I can say is my arms have never looked so good....hahaha, even my mom said she wishes she had my arms, and she would NEVER say anything like that to me....(meaning the kid lifting must work)

Good Luck!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

Tami-Lee web has a 17 min. video segment "I want those arms"....it is playing on IO digital cable station "Mag Rack" under personal trainer....a freebie with my cable subscription. good demos. to follow with dumbbells.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote