Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners # 4 - May 2 - 8...

A new week, a new month !! Can't believe it !!

What's on everyone's agenda for running this week ? Who's training for what ? Let us know !!

No running today doing legs instead ...

NEXT!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #2  

I happened to find a free 3K this afternoon, so I am going to do it for the fun of it. I hope to do 2 - 3 miles two more times this week. DCFit starts Sat, so we will see how it all goes. Plans on Mon have a habit of turning into ether by Fri ...

This is also my bike week on my cardio program, so I will try to fit that in 2x, though I really hate the bike. I plan on doing it in the gym and just got "Sideways" from Netflicks, so hopefully that will help the time pass. I am so glad my gym had the individual players on the cardio machines or I would have never made it this far.

Ellen - the one with the short attention span ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Well I have not been able to run in a couple weeks. I got a cold that went into a cough and just couldn't breathe. Hopefully I'm recovered enough that I can start again. Going to give it a try today and hope I'm not back at square one.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #4  
Athlete in Training

Hi runners!

I'm usually on the WW core board, and I was really excited to find this thread.

I'm training for the Portland marathon this November. It's my third full marathon, but it's been three years since the last one, so I'm starting from scratch. It took several weeks to go from couch potato to being able to walk a mile. (It was challenging to walk a block at first )

My "long" run this Sunday was 5 miles. I walked almost all of it -- still doing just little spurts of running 50 to 100 feet. I'm following Jeff Galloway's run/walk marathon training and clearly have a ways to go. I'm trying to limit running a bit, til I get another 20 or so pounds off. I think it will be better for feet and knees.

It's nice to read about what others are doing. Anyone else doing / considering a marathon?

Peace.
Monkeypoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #5  

Hi Terry. I am *thinking* of doing the Las Vegas Marathon in December. I start training with FitDC (part of FitUSA.org) next week. Most in this group are training for the Marine Coprs Marathon the last weekend of Oct. I like Jeff Galloway's apporach, and have incorporated it into my training. I started running (1 min run:2 walk) intervals in February. I am now at 3:1 intervals at about a 12.5 min mile. My first 5K was Apr 24 and I did a 3K today. I am proof you can start from *nothing* and move forward. I know I have a long way to go, but I have found a sport I really enjoy and plan on continuing. I will decide by June if I will register for the marathon. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #6  

hey guys,
I just started running a week or so ago, and I LOVE it. It is nice to see that there are other runners out there who don't really fit into that runner stereotype of being 115 pounds and running a 5 minute mile. I started out only being able to go for about a quarter mile before walking, but now I can do a whole mile, but its still really challenging. I usually jog about a mile and a half a day and walk about a mile.
Nikki
desertseatingoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #7  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

I walked 45 minutes yesterday at lunch and then ran 30 minutes this morning on the Dreaded TreadMill (known affectionately as DTM). ACTUALLY I ran about 10 minutes yesterday because I realized I was going to be late for a 1:00 meeting and had to run back. Stinky Tig.

I am paying more attention to my pace on the DTM and am trying to pick it up. My next race is a 5K May 14. I do like the 5K races because I pick up my pace naturally as part of chasing the runner in front of me. Now if I could just increase that stride a bit...

Dearest Hubster, aka Slim, is doing wonderfully with his running. He is considering a half marathon next fall. I'm willing to be his adoring cheering section. He ran a 15K and he heard me yell Go Honey! over all the crowd. We have a picture of him at the finish line with a Big Grin.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Hi DKrendonto, , I'm in a rush but want to respond.... My first thought is to do sprints for you body to just get used to going faster and slower, one minute run one minute walk or slow jog.... I had the same problem... Google Fartlek and it'll give you a whole bunck of different ideas.... TTFN ... Gotta gooooooo.....
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind if I join your thread! I had a good run this morning, almost 6K! My farthest yet (and I did it in the same amount of time I did 3 miles a couple weeks ago - 43 minutes!). I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for how to improve at going uphill? I have a lot of trouble with hills. Do you think working out with a stairmaster would help?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Hi all. It's a busy week for me. I found out on Tuesday that I need to be out of my house for next Monday. And it'll be for about 2 months, not one month like I was originally told (major repairs/renos). The apt. I'm supposed to be moving into does not yet have a bathroom or kitchen. Yikes. So a bit hectic as arrangements are being made quickly and I'm packing up as dh is working and trying to put in at least the bathroom. I'm going to put a laundry tub in as well this afternoon so I have a place to wash dishes. Fridge and stove will be residing in the dining room for a while until the kitchen gets flooring and cupboards.

Anyway, I've only managed to run Sunday and then again this am. Kind of an enforced pre-race taper. Weather Sun. am was awful--windy and rain, and I was luckily only planning to run 10k anyway, because that was definitely all I wanted to do. I was thinking that I must be insane to be planning on running a half this weekend. Then Tuesday turned into insane day, so no time to go out (I need dh to watch the kids). Finally this am I got up early and ran my planned 8k at the pace I want to do this weekend. Cool, sunny morning and the run was great, easy, comfortable and I felt like I could have kept going another 13k when I was done. And I really needed to de-stress. So, hopefully Sunday will feel more like this morning. 4 more sleeps.

Paperclippy, I suspect that well, running up hills is the best way to get good at running up hills. I tend to just avoid them as much as possible, but I have read that doing hill repeats will strengthen your legs and make you faster.

dkredondo, 40 minutes for 3 miles is pretty quick if your doing a lot of walking. I find it hard to start and stop running too. I tried doing walk/run intervals a few times and came to the conclusion that I feel better if I just keep running. I slow down if I've gone to fast and I'm getting winded, but I don't walk. It often takes me about 10-15 minutes to get into a groove where my pace and breathing are pretty much taking care of themselves, so I don't want to ruin it by walking. Sorry I can't help much. Hopefully Ilene's suggestion will help; fartleks are fun anyway and keeps the usual routes more interesting.

Welcome Nikki! Being up to running a whole mile in only a week is impressive. I think it took me at least a month to run a mile at a time. (I love the "you run!?!" stares that I get sometimes. Guess I don't look like a runner either. Although judging from the various people with various body types I see on my usual route, I'm not sure I know what a runner is supposed to look like anyway.)

ellen, wow, thinking about a marathon is a big step! I hope you like the new training group/program.

Monkeypoodle, I think I want to run a marathon someday. But, I've only been running for just under a year. And right now with 3 young kids to take care of, I don't really have the time or energy to put into marathon training. So I'm probably going to stick with half marathons for a couple of years. (First one this weekend, yikes.) The distance is do-able but still challenging for me.

skinnyjeans, I got the flu just after Christmas this year and it took a few weeks to get my previous speed back, but as long as I kept it slower it wasn't difficult to do my previous routes.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #11  

Hi,

May I join your guys? I am planning on 4.2 km with all 3 kids on May 29th in RUn for light - it is a gorgeous event - people are running with glow sticks along Stanley park sea wall in Vancouver, Can, at 9PM - also T-shirts are glowing too. It is for blind society and my kids love this run - my 6 y.o is in running club at school and my 4 y.o. is trying to run it too - I promised her there will be no stroller

On Aug 6-7 I am doing 100 km mountain biking tour in 2 days. I did it last year but had to skip about 15km of steepest part as my teen daughter did not want to do steep parts. THis year hubby joins me instead and I am sure I will make it. On Aug 13 I am going to do my first triathlon - 400m swim, 20 km bike and 5 K run. So here I am - asthmatic, which could not run as much as 100m for the bus without the need of emergency air supply.

About run/walk. I can not run for very long time. I just stop and walk. I noticed though that if I have a buddy to run with I do MUCH better -- my previous buddy advanced to 11 min mile, while I am still on 13 min mile, I am happy to announce that I paired up with coworker who has heart problem - he is much stronger than I but he can not go fast - so we run together. Recently we did 4.8km in 32 min instead of my usual 36 - I was really proud...

Cheers,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Well I finally got to start running again! Definitely noticed a drop in distance and speed, but not as much as I expected. Its good to be back...

marathons. Wow, we have some dedicated runners here. I definitely want to run one but don't think I am ready yet. I am planning on running a 1/2 marathon at end of October. Officially do not need to start training until August. Working on getting my times down between now and then. I would like to run at a 10 min/mile rate max (Think that is about 6.5 min/km?) If that goes well maybe a marathon next year.

dkredondo- If the fartleks don't work for you maybe trying increasing your running part by 1 min per wk, or 30 sec per run kind of thing. Before you know it you will work your way up to running the whole time.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #13  

Had my first session with DCFit this morning. It was a lot of fun - huge turnout. The organizers said 700 people registered! I would guess 200 or more were there. My goal for the 2 mile run was 25 minutes - would put me firmly in the 12-14 minute mile pace group. I finished in 24:46. This should be a lot of fun. I'll see my doctor in 2 weeks and get his permission to train for a marathon. I know, a lillte backwards, but that is the way these things work out sometimes. I figure these first few weeks should be OK as the longest run is 4 miles before I see him. Have a great weekend!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen -- Your DCfit training sounds exciting!! Go Girl!!

I finally got out yesterday for a run... My first since the 10k last Saturday. It was aweful, for several reasons: 1) I wasn't well hydrated, I hadn't been drinking my water all week, I felt the difference there... 2) I hadn't eaten properly before going either, I had snacked on chocolate covered almonds in the morning and before running I didn't eat, NOT a good idea, I should have at least had some oatmeal my staple food! 3) It was pretty warm in the middle of the afternoon... 4) My chest is still a bit congested from the allergies or cold I have ... I was disapointed to say the least when I came back, no more like p**sed off ....

Today, I went out this morning at 8:30AM, well hydrated, well fed, well rested, it was cool out, no wind had a great run... So I'm officially back in the groove!! YAY
Old 05-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #15  

Ilene - it sounds like you are back to yourself. I like hearing you are back to normal, especially after the last week. You go, girlfriend!