Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 AM   #16  

I also started getting bored with my areobics videos.. so I took my father's old TV (horrific color, but who cares?) and stacked it on top of my TV. So now I watch my shows on my TV while exercising to the video playing on his old. It works fine because I know the videos well enough to do them with the sound off. Plus, I find that I put more energy into my workouts when I'm watching something exciting!
Another option is to turn down the sound on your videos, and play different music.
Of course, there's nothing to stop you from using videos AND going for a jog, especially in the beginning when you might not be able to jog very far.
Charlotte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

Charlotte, wow! The main complaint I've had with using videos is that I can't watch TV like I can when I use an elliptical at the gym (actually, I watch the closed captioning while I also wear headphones for music). I have turned down the sound on videos I know well and blasted motivating music, and that can really help get me through an oldie but a goodie, but I like your TV idea! Only problem is, my husband would think I really lost it.

I agree that it is useful to have a variety of workout tapes and other workouts available to you. Be flexible. I personally prefer home workouts, and I've built up quite a library of videos over the last several years, so boredom shouldn't be a factor for me. I now have FitTV on satellite and tivo some of the shows, fast forward through the commercials, and that keeps things really fresh and challenging. I have dance tapes, step workouts, the Firm, Tae-bo, some Crunch videos (I really like the Pilates instructor Ellen Barrett, and these workouts are cheap at Wal-Mart), etc. Some are short and easy, others are long and challenging.

And speaking of challenging, there are ways to keep the challenge high as someone noted. With some dance tapes I have, I just can't figure out the moves at first. It's fun to keep popping the tape in and over time realizing I'm mastering all the moves. There are some step tapes I have where they do lots of jumps and I stick to low-impact. Sometimes I add in the jumps. A lot of workouts build in the different levels, and with practice you can work your way through these levels. And the Firm? I still barely ever hold weights for the lower body moves, and when I have used weights for that, it was 5 lbs at most in each hand. The instructors use much heavier weights for those moves, so I know there is potential for growth.

Can you tell I'm passionate about workout tapes? I don't know where I'd be without them. I lost about 40 lbs primarily with videos about 3 years ago, and managed to keep most of it off.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #18  

Try Cathe Friedrich. Her workouts are tough and not boring at all! I think Collage sells some of hers but she has a website with pre-sales and messgeboard and she will post back to you personally if you ask her a question.

How cool is that?
Sweetmel is offline   Reply With Quote