Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #1  
Running Babe

Cool Cool Runners #2 Spring 2005

Hi everyone thought I'd start a new thread for a new season. Anyway It's Spring today and race season is starting up. I know I'll be doing the Nordicon 10K in May and probably a race in April. I am thinking of doing a race a month to keep everything up.

I am group leading a 10K group so I have to do some runs on my own to maintain my own training, but I am fine with that!

Any races or runs that are coming up for anyone? Anyone entering their first race? Please share!

Anyway Spring is an Excellent time to start running so I'll give a few tips for any newbies who may be starting (feel free to add more or correct me or clarify a point I make). Just to let you know, I am not a professional and do not promise 100% accurate information. Before you start any exercise program you should consult with a medical doctor.

Tip 1# You must have good shoes. Shoes don't last too long so if you have an old pair of runners invest in a new pair. I also recommend that you get properly fitted at a store that caters to athletes, sports enthusiasts or runners. Usually the staff is well trained and will check your gait as you walk etc and will fit you properly.

Tip 2# dress the part. Cotton is generally not recommended. Stay away from cotton especially on colder days (to be honest I ran in cotton during the summer for short runs, but generally it is not recommended). Dri-fit, coolmax or other materials that wick away sweat are ideal, especially on hot days and longer runs (polyester, nylon, lycra mixes kind of deal. The running shirt I wore today is 100% polyester). This goes for bras and undies too. Cotton sports bras can cause extreme discomfort on long runs. A couple of more things, don't over dress (dress like it's 10C warmer outside when you get ready), don't forget sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher), a hat <vented one on a hot day> and on really sunny day sunglasses. If you have areas that chafe easily, body glide can be a godsend.

Tip 3#: Keep hydrated. Bring water and be hydrated when you start.

Tip 4#: Have realistic expectations and goals when starting. If the closest thing you have had to a cardio workout in the past few years is going to a midnight madness sale last October, you'll probably want to start with small distances and a mix of running and walking (heck I still do 10 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking intervals). A lot of gyms and sports/running stores have beginner running programs and there are a few programs on-line that can help you get started on your running endeavors (usually these programs work to a 5K which is a great starter distance). It's great to say have a marathon/half marathon as an eventual goal, but if you want to run one this spring and you haven't really ever run, you may want to reevaluate it.

Tip 5# if you can afford it, get a heart rate monitor, this is an excellent tool that can help you gage improvement and such. You don't need an uberfancy one. As your cardio gets better, your heart rate should go down. Also they can help you slow down if your HR gets too high (especially important on hot days).

Tip 6# don't compare yourself to other people when it comes to times etc. Some people are naturally faster and more athletic. Some people can do a 40 minute 10K, but a lot of people can only do a 75 minute one. We're all different. I have found seeing my improvements in HR a good motivator.

Tip 7# Eat enough. This is the one thing I have been struggling with. Eating enough to have enough energy to perform well, but also limiting it enough as to lose weight (well if you're looking to lose weight)... It's a delicate balance. Still trying to find the right mix. Basically since I am looking for good performance it means my WL is slower, but that in itself isn't a bad thing.

Tip 8# Rest and don't over do it. I know a lady who was running 6 times a week and very enthusiastic, she then got a stress fracture and was out for 2 months. Run a manageble amount, and cross train and take rest days. I run about 4 days a week, and weight train on other days and gasp take days. If you have a cold, don't be afraid to take a day or even a week off. Yes getting back isn't the easiest thing in the universe, but your body needs its eneergy to fight a bug. I took 3.5 weeks off due to minor surgury in Jan. I had too, in the long run it took a few weeks to get back into it, but I am now better than I was before the sugury.

Tip 9# Do consult with your doctor before starting. Some people aren't at a point where they should start running. Some may have some knee problems that can be exacerbated by running. So please consult your physician first.

Tip 10# Have fun with it. Yup everyone has bad runs, sometimes the weather is awful, but overall it's a positive experience. If you're not enjoying it at all try and figure out if you're pushing yourself too hard, have an unrealistic goal or are suffering from a lot of pain (again if there is a lot of pain see you dr.). Slowing down can help and perhaps make goals more realistic will make you feel more accomplished.

Tip 11# Don't forget common sense. Run with others if possible, carry ID, let people know of allergies or medical conditions. Tell someone which route you'll be taking if running alone. Don't run at noon on a really hot day etc. Don't wear a walkman <I think I'll get some arguements on this one, if you must run with one, keep one ear earphone free>. Stay in well populated areas etc.

Cool runnings everyone!!

Ali
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Ali, Thanks for starting a new thread and typing out all that helpful info. Your clinics sound like fun. Working around dh's irregular schedule kind of forces me to run alone when I get the chance.

A race a month sounds like a great idea, but there don't seem to be many races in my area. I thought I'd get a chance to enter a good friday race by my mom's house, but now it doesn't look like the timing will work out. But I think I'm still on track for training for a 1/2 marathon on mother's day. (And dh had better have plans for a good brunch afterwards!) And then there's another in late August.

For anyone who doesn't have a heart monitor, a replacement test is to make sure that you're not gasping for air and that you can speak during an easy run. (If you're doing some sort of speed workout, you want to get your heart rate a bit higher). Since I've been paying attention to my breathing, I've slowed down a bit on long runs, but I can end a 15ish km run feeling like I could keep going for another 15k. Or I can push at the end and double my long run with a bit of a speed workout. When I was starting out too quickly, I'd progressively slow down over the course of a long run.

And to your number 11, I'd add carry some $ for a pay phone and bus or cab home or carry a cell phone. I have this recurring fear that the day I forget to bring at least a quarter is the day I'll sprain my ankle 8k from home.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #3  
Get Moving :)

S/C/G: S/C/G: 220/133/120

Height: 5"2

Hi Ladies..
This is my first time posting here..so hello to everyone..
I'm Vanessa..39 years old..i live in South Carolina..i've been running for about three years..i love races..the longest one i've ever run in was a half marathon..i usually run in about ten races a year. I have a 10k in April that i'm training for now..maybe now thats it's warming up i can get out more..i hate running on the treadmill...yuck...

Hugs,
Vanessa
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks Ali for starting the thread with such great pointers... My weakest one is #11, I never bring ID, I don't carry $, and I don't brink a cellphone either ... Now that I think of it, it could be because I jog through a neighbourhood where I personally know a lot of people... But I really should get into the habit of bringing at least ID...

I ran 10.5K on Sunday and I haven't run since but have been to the gym and done some brisk walking with DH... Today is leg day , so probably no run, but a walk tonight after supper will feel good...

Welcome Vanessa and to all Cool Runners!!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #5  

Welcome Vanessa! I'm currently training for my first half marathon, so any advice from someone who's btdt would be great. I had to laugh though when I saw you mention the weather warming up and then I noticed your location. You missed the winter running discussions here. Nothing like coming back from a run at -20 or lower with your eyebrows and gloves all frosted up. I suspect I'm really enjoying the temps that you were avoiding since current weather here is just above freezing during the day and just below freezing at night. Perfect spring weather around here.

Ilene, at least bring ID with you, preferably with your home phone number on it. It's pretty critical if you get badly hurt. Nothing something nice to think about, but sticking a piece of paper in a pocket with your name, address and phone number is a good bit of insurance.

I've been out walking every day this week and managed to go running yesterday and this morning. We're going away for the weekend, but I'm bringing my running stuff with me as well as the double stroller (for walking).
Old 03-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Hello cool runners.

I just found your thread and it sounds great! I have been running on and off for about 5 years. Meaning I would get consistant and work up to about 3 miles (5K) and then stop for a couple months and have to start over. But I am really back into it now and enjoying it more than ever. I am currently running about 20-25K per week. Like you mentioned I am loving the warmer weather now! Cold is about the biggest unmotivating factor for me. Lucky for me its finally above freezing on a regular basis. Pretty soon no more gloves!

I'm excited to start training for a marathon but am afraid I'm not quite ready yet. According to a training schedule I found (Cool Runnings) I wouldn't need to start training for it until June (Marathon is at the end of October). A half Marathon doesn't sound like a bad place to start though. Only me-How far into the training are you?

SJ
Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Good Mornin' Cool Runners

I've had a good weekend! How 'bout everyone else?

I ran 10.5k in 1:14 shaved 3 mins from last week so I was happy with that... Food wise I did OK too... No chocolates this weekend, but last week at work made up for the lack of chocolates this weekend... don't worry I had my fill of chocolates one way or the other...

Just a drive-by post to say hi to everyone... TTFN...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #8  
Bread is my Enemy.

Hi everyone, I'm a brand new cool runner training from the very beginning, using nike running.com to train for my first 5k in April. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone saw the piece on 60 minutes last night about the supermarathoners who run 100 miles twice a year for 24hours+ and burn somewhere around 30,000 calories. It was absolutely astounding!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Great job Ilene 3 minutes off is a lot of time. I'm trying to improve my time too. Hopefully not having to wear as many layers will help!

Not so great on the food front this weekend. Hopefully I can get an extra run in to help make up for it.

SJ
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Runners,

I walked part of one of my usual running routes last night, 1.5 miles. I'm a slow runner, but it just seemed to take so long to walk it. On the plus side, I got to be out in the fresh air and moving around. I'm starting to feel better now that I'm transitioning to the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy. I go to the doc again tomorrow and I'm hoping I get the go ahead to start running again. I'll have to ease back into it, probably almost from scratch at this point. Should be interesting.

How is everybody doing? We had some people training for their first half-mary back in the old thread (sorry girls, I'm finding pregnancy is eating the part of my brain that remembers details and I can't for the life of me remember who was doing it). Still doing OK?

Illene, I'm impressed! Are you still thinking about triathlon?

Welcome BrooklynChick, SJ, & Vanessa.

And of course, thanks for the awesome post, Ali!

Only, one of these days I'm going to have to get some tips from you on running with kids. I'm guessing it is going to be a challenge.

Anne
Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #11  

Well, after having a lazy week with only one run Wednesday morning, I set out this morning to run 18-20km before the heavy rains start this afternoon (and continue through to Tuesday). I thought I'd run out along part of route of the half I'm training for. But, I badly misjudged how much I'd zig zagged in getting out there and how far it would be to get home. When I realized I'd definitely be going closer to 20k than 18 I kept running, after all I figured that would be the fastest way to get home anyway. At 20k and still about 3k from home I decided that I'd run until 21.1k, then stop and get a drink before continuing home. Which is what I did. So I have now run a half marathon distance, even if it was unintentional. I know that I can do it next month! And I also now know that drinking a large bottle of powerade on an empty stomach right after running 20+K is a really bad idea for my stomach. Oh well, now that my tummy's almost back to normal, I'm amazed that I ran that far! And I've learned that one advantage of not running in loops around my neighbourhood is that I can't cut the route short because I'm sure I'd have stopped at 18k if I could, but I still felt fine until 21 when running was the quickest and easiest way to get home.

Ilene, great job on the faster time. It's always nice to have a good run. And what's this about a triathalon?

skinnyjeans. Welcome! I've been upping my long run distances slowly since mid-January and trying to be more consistent about running at least 3X per week. Only 5 more weeks to go until the half. Most half training programs seem to run about 12 weeks. If you're already up to 20-25km per week, I'm sure jumping into a training program would be no problem for you. And it would give you a feel for the longer distance runs. How much milage does the marathon plan you're looking at start with? Make sure you've worked up to an adequate amount of milage before starting it in June. (A half training plan might do that for you too). Good luck! I'm still a bit intimidated about distances beyond the half.

Anne, glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Enjoy the second trimester. It really is the best time physically in pregnancy. Although I found it a bit annoying at the start of it when I felt like I looked just fat rather than pregnant. (Actually, that was only the first 2 pregnancies. By the third and fourth, I looked very definitely pregnant by 14/15 weeks.)

Brooklyn Chick: I've heard of ultramarathons, but even a marathon seems like an incredible distance to me! And ultras often seem to be run off road, which makes for an even more challenging race.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Only Me -- Congrats on the half marathon practice run! so kewl !! Look at that siggie, 21ks done and it's only April 2nd!! Geez I've got some catching up to do...
Yes, I'd love to do a triathlon, sigh, but I'm just not ready for the swimming part. Every winter I say I will learn to swim laps and I haven't gotten around to it...My own procrastinating fault, of course...

Anne -- I'm happy to see that you are feeling better, you must be glad for that... Are you showing yet? Do you actually look pregnant and not just gaining weight like OnlyMe mentionned? Are you waddling ? I waddled as soon as I started to show the least bit, all the shoes I wore when I was pregnant were unwearable after the pregnancy!

Well I had a bit of a set back this week from running, I haven't run since Tuesday! This is what happened... On Tuesday I went to my family doctor for my monthly allergy shot, but I hadn't had it for the last 3 or maybe it's 4 months, I can't remember, anyways, I reacted to it so badly that I was a sniffling, sneazing idiot since... Tonight, Saturday, if the first night I feel actually good! I can't believe how I feel...Tomorrow it's at the gym, I won't be able to run outside, it's a downpour here, but I will definitely do the dreaded ...

Welcome to our running newbies, hang in there, it does get easier with time!

TTFN...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #13  

Red face My first race

Hello everyone!

I did it - I've officially registered for my first 5k! I may run one before it, but it is the first one I've registered for. I'm planning on doing the race when I go visit my sister in Colorado in June. My sister has always been the athletic one - she does half-marathons and duathlons and often wins her age group - and I was the brainy one. Well, she got her PhD and two Masters, so I figure I have to start to shine in the athletic arena.
The race is at altitude, so I'm planning on just finishing and having fun.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #14  
Bread is my Enemy.

Hey debbiejrt, I noticed you are in nyc, did you register for the revlon runwalk for breast cancer 5k in april?

I have a question for your seasoned runners...I'm currently training for my 5k, and I am extremely nervous that I won't be able to run straight through. If I don't, and I walk some of the time...do I still count all of that to my overall time? Or does it not count if I walk during the race?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #15  

Hey Brooklyn Chick,

No, I'm not doing the Revlon runwalk - I'm not even going to attempt a 5k until the end of May. That's when my training will be at the right point.

And, **** yes, it counts if you take walk breaks!! Finishing is finishing. Read some stuff from Jeff Galloway He advocates running and walking and does marathons that way.
Closed Thread