Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #46  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Oh and Ilene, I hate to break this to you, but there is definitely no 10k on April 31. You might want to check the date.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #47  
Ilene the Bean

Only Me -- ..... and .... You're absolutely right, there is definitely NO 10k on April 31, it's the 30th ...
Old 04-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #48  
Ilene the Bean

TPD -- I've got this old Runners World magazine, April 2004, that I've been reading and re-reading in the last year... At the back there is a page of, comments from an interview with Shawn Colvin, -- I have no idea who that is BTW -- Grammy-winning singer/songwriter, 48, Austin Texas... here is one quote that made me think of you :
Quote:
'' Running is a meditative thing. It's probably the closest I get to sitting still ''
... For me this is so true, when I'm running suddenly I realise, nothing hurts, my breathing is on track, I'm not too hot, not cold, everything is in perfect sink, I do feel like I'm standing still...

Here's another one I tried yesterday, and it really helped:
Quote:
When I'm doing hills, I say to myself, ''I love the hill, I love the hill.'' It helps.
There was also this one, which made me laugh, but I thought it sure was the truth...
Quote:
I've learned you can keep up a certain threshold of pain, and it doesn't mean that you're going to blow up.
I particularly liked this one because I can be a wuss to pain sometimes...

Oh, and last one I promise ... I'm going to try this one during my 10k...
Quote:
I'm very competitive. Trying to catch the person in front of you is what's fun about racing.
I'm gonna catch that person ...
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #49  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
At the back there is a page of, comments from an interview with Shawn Colvin, -- I have no idea who that is BTW
Oh Ilene! You are a woman after my own heart! I'm always saying that!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 AM   #50  
Ilene the Bean

Ah!! Silver great minds think alike
Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I like that last quote about trying to catch the person in front of me. I do that ALL the time - try to catch them, I mean - not actually succeed.

Tiki
Old 04-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #52  

I just posted this under success not realizing that their was a running thread. Hope you don't mind me sharing this with you all.

Yesterday I ran my first 10K (6 mile) race here in Vancouver and it was amazing! I never thought I could do something like this and I now feel so inspired. The whole experience is something I will never forget, as running with 48 thousand people is totally not something I would do everyday. Another cool thing about it is that I did a mock run two weeks ago and yesterday I beat my time by 2 minutes crossing the finish line in 72 minutes 31 seconds.

I just really wanted to share this with all of you because this is a goal I've been working towards since January. I am still surprized that I actually did it, more so beacuse I stuck with it and never gave up. Though now that it is all over I will have to think of something else to motivate me.

Good luck to everyone and their goals. Thanks for letting me share one of the coolist moments in my life.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #53  

Congratulations Ms K - you must feel like a million bucks today. You can hold your head high and say "I did this". You are an inspiration to me - thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ellenuw; 04-19-2005 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Gosh, wish I could learn to type
Old 04-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Ms.K,Thank YOU for sharing with us.

Tiki.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

Ms.K Congrats on the 10K... I am doing my first at the end of April too... I'm really excited now after reading your post...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #56  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on the 10K Ms. K! And thanks to everyone for your advice re: my last post!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #57  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on the 10K Mrs. K. Since it was your first race, you now have a personal best! And if you were running with 48 000 people, you undoubtably actually ran further than 10k with all the weaving around people and not being able to cut corners closely.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Well I haven't posted in a while but I'm still here and running. My dh and I have getting our house ready to sell and that is taking up most of our spare time.

This spring weather is great for running because it is still cool enough to be comfortable. Although it is over 80F here today, if this keeps up I will definitely have to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

I was reading the back posts on gloucosimine(sp?) and was happy to hear other people who have tried it. I have heard a lot about it recently and thought about trying it since I have one knee that gets "achy" as a result of past injuries/surgery. However, I didn't know anyone who had used it and wasn't sure if it was safe. I'm going to have to run out and get some (no pun intended).

Congrats on the 10K race Ms.K!

SJ
Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #59  
Ilene the Bean

I didn't run today, but hope to have time tomorrow morning, if it rains I'll go to the gym...

Today I spent over $300 at the Running Room in Ottawa and I didn't even buy any runners!! I got 2 pairs of shorts, 2 tops, sports bra, dry weave baseball cap, some gel things for my runners hence not having to buy a new pair ... It was soooo much fun... This was an early mother's day gift to me, I just won't tell anyone I'm not my mother I also won't tell my kids ...

Ok, it's late I'm going to bed...
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #60  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everybody,

Been away for a while, and wanted to pop in and catch up. Mrs. K congrats on your 10K. What an accomplishment!

Paperclippy, I just wanted to tell you too, congrats on being a runner! You certainly do not need to race to be a genuine runner, you just need to put feet out the door (or on the treadmill for that matter). I race because it give me inspiration to keep going on those cold dark mornings when, frankly, I'd rather sleep--it does happen, even to me. And also, because, truth be told, I like a little external validation once in a while. It is all a matter of what motivates us, and sounds like you are on a great path.

I just got back from the Boston marathon! My husband ran this year, and I got to watch everyone, from the pros to the challenged athletes. I saw Catherine Nderebda move into the lead in the women's race, and I saw Team Hoyt run by--if you don't know Team Hoyt, you should take a minute to read about them, such an incredible story. http://www.teamhoyt.com/

So now I'm all psyched up and mentally ready to run again, but after my first trimester layoff, I'm just not physically ready. So I walked. I'm buying a baby jogger this weekend, so I'll be ready in a few more months.

Anne
Closed Thread