Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Brooklyn Chick, it absolutely counts if you walk some of it. Once piece of advice especially if this is your first race--start out S-L-O-W! You will actually be running faster than you think, and it is real easy to get carried away with the excitement, go too fast and blow up sooner than you might otherwise. This happened to me during my 1st 5K and I had to walk parts of it. But they gave me my finisher's medal, and it is now one of my most prized possesions. It took more than 30 years for me to get myself to the finish line of that 5K, and I'm proud of every step, even those I walked! Hold your head up high and walk if you need to, or just want to. Either way it will be one heck-uv-a accomplishment and you should be sooo proud of yourself.

Debbie, good luck with your 5K in May--you will have to tell us how it goes. I'm so excited for you!

Ilene, I don't _think_ I'm waddling yet! But my husband refused to answer when I asked him, so I'm not sure. I do know it took me about an hour to walk my 2.5 mi running loop--twice as long as when I run it. And I was huffing and puffing pretty good. Can't believe I ran a marathon less than 3 months ago. This pregnancy stuff is hard work!

Anne
Old 04-05-2005, 09:19 AM   #17  
Bread is my Enemy.

Deborah and Anne, thank you ladies for your advice, it takes off a lot of the *pressure* I feel when running my first race. I definitely feel more confident. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

OnlyMe-Thanks for the advice on using the half marathon training to increase my distance. I might give that a try. The marathon training plan is only starts at only slightly more per week (about 5K-10K) so I think I will be OK but it won't hurt to increase before then. Mostly I have been trying to get my times down so when I do start training for whatever it won't take me forever.

Weather here has been great this whole week I spend most ofhte day looking out my window wishing I could be outside and looking forward to my run after work. Luckily I get to leave a bit early today!

SJ
Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Ok, I had to bring the Cool Runners thread up a little bit here, we were getting low on the page...

Yesterday I ran outside for the first time in over a week. It was very difficult to say the least... I was out for 40 minutes... There were several reasons I think I found it so hard... One, I had been off for too long. Two, the allergic reaction I got from my allergy shot I think has screwed up my lung capacity, or somethin, because I had a very hard time taking in deep breaths, this is only for the moment, I will work on it , I promise myself that !!! And three, I think it was too warm ! I've gotten so used to running in -10C that 15C felt almost too hot !! Go figure!! I didn't go out today it's pouring, and didn't go to the gym, LIFE and my laziness got in the way... Tomorrow is a different story!! I think I said that yesterday too hmmm ...
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Just when I was starting to believe spring was actually arriving and most of the snow was gone, we got a snow/rain storm yesterday that has left everything a wet mess today. The snow is melting quickly again today though. Luckily I'd looked at the forecast and went out for 10k early yesterday, before the snow started. By tomorrow morning the roads and bike paths should be mostly clear again.

Brooklyn Chick: I agree with the others. It definitely counts even if you walk a bit. Most of us are just competing with ourselves anyway, not trying to come in first. So this race will give you a time to beat next time around.

Anne: Pregnany definitely takes away a lot of energy. Especially since you're working full time too. Keep up what exercise you can and you'll feel better and be better off once baby arrives.

Ilene: I had the same problem with weather on Easter weekend. I was wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt and would have been much happier with shorts and a T. Even though it was only about 10C. I mostly run first thing in the am, and temps are still about 0C or lower overnight around here, so not too much of a problem yet. I don't need my jacket anymore though, unless it's pouring rain.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Cool thread, you ladies have going here. I am signing up for the Susan Komen Breast Cancer 5K here in Detroit this year. I am able to run 5K on the indoor track at my gym, but have yet to venture outside to try it there. There is a nice outdoor track by my house so I think I will give it a try this Sunday since the temps are supposed to be so great. I'm also trying to get my friends here to participate, if not running then at least walking it, so we can train together. We will see how that goes.

Tiki.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Tiki WELCOME !! Running outside took me a while to get used to... But now I love it more than the tread. Inside track and outside is probably pretty close to the same IMO...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #23  

I tried outdoor running last year in early spring and thought my lungs were going to explode from the crispness of the air. After 3 blocks, I was okay. However, I also learned that morning that my knees don't like concrete. The school near me has a nice rubberized track, so if I pair that with the old knee brace, I should be okay.

Tiki.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

Tiki have you tried taking Glucosamine? It works wonders DH and I both take it... My SIL started taking Shark Cartilage and swears by it, Glucosamine was not working for her....

I had a good short run tonite with my buddy Lu, who I met at the gym.... Luanne is great, we did a good chest workout... Then went out and ran, she's still a begginer so I went at her pace and it felt nice, not over taxing at all...

Hey, I have a question, my friend Lu is quite a bit chesty. She wears 3 sports bras to jog.... She says she has a difficult time breathing when she runs. Do you guys think that 3 bras would cut her breathing circulation? This is what I mentionned to her. I just wanted your opinions on this...

Have a great weekend all, I feel back into the swing of things ....
Old 04-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #25  

Height: 5'7"

Ilene, I started wearing this bra when I was a 44DD. It will hold anything down. Essential when running.

http://www.title9sports.com/shopping...&iProductID=64

Title 9 has a pretty decent selection of 3+ barbell bras in general for us larger girls, including one called 'The Last Resort'!

Anne
Old 04-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #26  
Ilene the Bean

Thank you Ann, I'll send her that link...
Old 04-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #27  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
Tiki have you tried taking Glucosamine? It works wonders DH and I both take it... My SIL started taking Shark Cartilage and swears by it, Glucosamine was not working for her....
Ilene: are you and DH taking glucosamine with chondroitin or just glucosamine? I'm thinking I might have to invest in it! Especially if I get the go-ahead from the podiatrist and physio to start running again (long and achey story).
Old 04-09-2005, 08:45 AM   #28  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch
Ilene: are you and DH taking glucosamine with chondroitin or just glucosamine? I'm thinking I might have to invest in it! Especially if I get the go-ahead from the podiatrist and physio to start running again (long and achey story).
Silver -- I heard parts of your achey story on LWL, poor thing... To answer your question we just take the Glucosamine because it works and the Glucosamine and Chondroitin is more expensive so we figured we'd try it alone first to see if it worked and it did...
Old 04-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #29  

Ilene and Silver,

I started taking Glucosamine after Ilene recommended it on the LWL forum. It does help a great deal with my achy elbows and shoulders. The knee just likes to act up so I add the brace along with the supplements to make sure I can still do what I want to do. I've never heard of Glucosamine with chondroitin. I got lucky and scored two bottles of Glucosamine (120 caps each) for 9.99, so I won't be buying anything else until I deplete those bottles.

Tiki.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #30  
Ilene the Bean

Tiki I'm happy to see that the Glucosamine is working for you too... I think you're the 5th person I recommend it to and it helps... ... That makes me happy camper...

I had a great 10k run this morning... I'm no Speedy Gonzales but it was very nice took me 1:15...
Closed Thread