Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #1  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Default Bob Greene, Total Body Makeover

Hi,
Is anybody doing this? I am almost done with week 2. It's amazing, I miss the exercise and feel a little guilty when I don't do it. I am surprised that it has that affect already. I've read these types of books before, but mostly skimming over parts and doing it hit or miss. I really read the 1st chapter on "building a solid emotional foundation". I feel like I really got some insights from that. Started looking at why weight loss worked in the past and why it got away from me. (Lost 65 lbs. on WW years ago and gained all back ) His concept of "concious eating" really paying attention to what you're eating and why is helping. Trying to eat for nutrition, not for comfort. It's amazing how many times, especially at work, I was just eating something that was offered (candy, etc.) just because it was offered and not even thinking. I started with SouthBeach at same time, but it wasn't working out. Just trying to eat healthy and drink all that h2o. I'd like to get some WW info again and use that. I think portion control is big factor. Anyway, done rambling for now. Just wondering if anyone else out there was trying this program.
thanks!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #2  
it's always something

I'm reading the book right now. He really does touch on a lot of important aspects of weight control that would benefit most of us. Many of his ideas are in his previous books, but I like the way this one ties fitness in with such detail. It's very clear and easy to follow.

We'd love to see how you progress with this, please keep posting
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Keli - I don't have the book but I have his first one - Making the Connection -which was great. I really like Bob Greene!

Since I don't have the book I may be a little confused by why are you "missing the exercise"? I thought Bob Greene (and Oprah) really pushed exercise!!!!!

so I'm confused???? and might have misunderstood???

you said you are in week 2 so are you just having to cut back on exercise to get started or something? do you mind explaining or telling me about it?

thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

Darn, I just typed this whole big thing and I guess I wasn't logged in or something. Oh well, any way it went something like this

I meant to say that I missed exercising on my day off. He has you do functional exercises 6 days a week, cardio 6 days a week (5 reg. one double) and strength training 3 days a week. There are different levels, beginner, intermed. advanced.

He doesn't push any formal diet, he does go over 10 different ones so you can pick one that's right for you. He actually wants you to do the 12 week program and then see if you need a formal diet, how's that for making things a little scary ~no diet~ how'm I going to lose weight!

I got the book from the library and read it cover to cover and then bought it. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

I enjoyed Make the Conn. too. I didn't read it as thoroughly as I did this one. I got interested because I saw a Dateline show where they followed a group of people that were trying to get in shape for their high school reunion. They all had their own plans, one just exercised, no diet, one did south beach, one weight trained and dieted, one did a vegetarian diet and exercise, and one worked with a personal trainer, you guessed it Bob Greene! She lost the most weight and dealt with some emotional issues. I was going to read Make the Conn. again, but found this book and really got into it.

I made a sort of an exercise log using a weekly calendar in MSWorks, it worked pretty good, I put a spot for my weight, if I drank my water, if I followed my plan, then I just check off which exercises I did.

I love this forum by the way, especially that little weight tracker thing, it's the best.

What's the weekly food log?