Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #1  

Question Gazelle Elite??

Hi all,
I am seriously considering purchasing Tony Little's Gazelle Elite. I'm wondering if any of you have this piece of equipment, and if so, do you like it? It looks really fun to me..but I just want to make sure it actually does something before I spend the money. I like the fact that the elite model has the resistance pistons....so I can keep stepping up my work-out as I get more fit. So...if anyone has one or knows someone who does...could you give me a quick review....
thanks so much,
Luv,
round'
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #2  

I have one of the older Gazelle models. I think the main difference between mine and the newer ones is that mine doesn't fold up for storage. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they work the same.

I bought mine years ago and I still use it. It's great because there's no impact, so if you have knee problems or want to avoid ever getting them, this is the machine for you. You can get a good aerobic workout and it'll also really strengthen your quads (the muscles on the front of your thighs).

On the downside, it's not all that versatile. They make it sound like you can do lots of different exercises with it, which I didn't really find to be quite true. I think the problem is that the non-adjustable handles aren't in a very good position for me to use, and the pistons take the machine from no resistance to very high resistance, with no middle ground. Those things may have been fixed in the Elite, or maybe not. None of that would keep me from buying the Gazelle, because it's a great machine. But you may find that you'll want to alternate it with other kinds of workouts, so you can get better all-around toning than the Gazelle by itself can give you.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #3  

Hi round! I just upgraded from the regular model to the Elite model a few months ago and I gotta say, I just LOVE my Gazelle! I loved the regular model as well, but I really wanted to try the resistance that the Elite model has to shake up my routine some, and I'm really glad I did. I got my Gazelle Elite out of the paper for $100.00, so you might want to check that out if you don't mind used equipment and want to save a few (hundred) bucks. I like that you can set it with absolutely no resistance, or bump it up to three different resistance levels dependant on what you're in the mood for at the time. I also love the all-over workout you can get just by using your arms more or legs more, and by leaning forward or backward. The low/no impact is great compared to the treadmill I was using during the majority of my weight loss. But I did notice that it took a little getting used to for my shins and ankles (there was some slight muscle cramping at night for about a week). It is also much more quiet than the treadmill, so now I can actually watch TV while I workout, which I really enjoy. You may notice some squeaking and the pistons do make a swooshing sound when you have them engaged. Also, just so you're prepared, the resistance makes it really hard! I started to wonder what I had gotten myself into when I could only go for 10 minutes the first time I had the pistons set! But just keep at it and you'll build up your endurance in no time. Well, I think that just about sums up my very enjoyable experience with the Gazelle Elite. I think it's an excellent choice, and I hope you'll love it as much as I do, if you do decide to get one. If you have any other questions about it, please feel free to ask or PM me if you like. Good luck!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #4  

Hi. I have the Gazelle Freestyle Elite, and I love it. I like that it has the heart moniter and the display that tells time and stuff. I use it twice a day for 45 minutes each and it is a really sturdy well built machine, in my opinion. I bought mine a few years ago for around $400+, but I think it was worth it. I also use my exercise bike for 30 minutes a day, but the Gazelle workout has a different "feel" to it, if that makes any sense, lol. All in all, I think it's a great piece of equipment, and I would recommend it to anyone. Good luck.

Last edited by RaineyMae7133; 03-11-2005 at 11:52 AM.
RaineyMae7133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #5  

Default Thanks you guys...

Thanks everyone for the "words of wisdom"...I went ahead and ordered the Gazelle Elite...I can't wait to get it and hop on!!! I've never been excited to exercise before..geesh..LOL...thanks again..
round'
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #6  

Another very satisfied Gazelle Elite user, here. My dh bought mine for me a little over two years ago, and it has been my best friend ever since.

The first level of resistance was where I stayed for a few months, now I keep it at the middle level for a really decent cardio workout. You get out of it what you put into it. You can pump it up with big arms and legs, or keep it smaller if you're not feeling as energetic.

I have not really used the third level of resistance...I don't think it's really meant for cardio...more for strength training, and for that I use free weights.

One thing...if you use the videos that will come with it, Tony and his girls are all using a Gazelle W/O pistons...your workout will feel and look very different if you're using the pistons for resistance.

Have fun!
thin-n-strong is offline   Reply With Quote