Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey gang - since we're talking about magazines.... the 3rd issue of the new YOUR DIET mag hits stands today. I got the first 2 issues and really liked the mag. I will be running out and looking for this new issue when I get a minute.

"The New YOUR DIET Hits Stands Today!
The new issue of the world's coolest diet mag hits stands today. Issue number 3 of Your Diet has finally arrived. You remember this mag, people. It's from the people who bring us People Magazine. (Ok, we're through saying "people.") This latest issue is packed with recipes, inspiring stories, gorgeous photos, and even has a two page feature on Guilt-Free Snacking written by Hungry Girl herself. Weeeee! Your Diet isn't on a set publishing schedule yet so we're not sure when the next issue will come out. But this new one is out NOW. Don't miss it!"
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #32  
Amy Needs New Shoes

Hey all. I haven't checked in for a while. Sounds like you're all doing great! Good for you Cathy! I enjoy prevention too. I can't believe I haven't read mine yet! Usually I attack it and read it cover to cover. I am intrigued about this walking article they have. Haven't heard of YOUR DIET mag. Will have to check it out.

Well I got in 2 miles yesterday at the Grapevine Mills Mall. Very proud of it. Then watched a movie. tee hee.

I think I gained a few pounds though from all that I ate during the weekend (pizza, shared a fudge brownie sundae-ugh!). Going to walk at lunch with a friend from work. Hey, can you pedometer users tell me what brand you have and maybe where you got them? I'd like to get a really good accurate one (not the free McDonalds one I have. haha). Thanks!
shoequeen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #33  

Got 2 miles in today. March miles: 10
Sherrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #34  

Just a quick post as my son has just woke up! I got in 4 miles today. Woo hoo. I hope to keep this up for the rest of the week!!

Selina -- When you walk 10,000 steps, how many miles does your pedometer read? Just wondering if mine is registering right. I bought a cheapo at WalMart but I have a "better" one that I may switch to.

Great job ladies! I will post more tomorrow.....
fma4mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:23 AM   #35  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Got another 8mi in over the weekend plus an hour at the gym. Pretty happy with that. Haven't been sleeping too well the last week or so though, really makes it hard to stay motivated throughout the day. Yesterday we took DD to a culinary convention and by 2:30 I was seriously dragging my tail. Blargh.

Anyways, ladies, I promise to post to each of you tomorrow sometime. I need to try and get some shut-eye!

Keep up the fantastic work... ALL of you! You're doing AMAZING!

Best wishes!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #36  

Mel - 8 miles is great! Walking around a convention would certainly add up.

Amy - A movie is a great reward - what a good idea! What did you see? I am currently using a Sportline pedometer that I got a Target. They have a lot of price ranges - mine was maybe $35. It does steps, miles (or km), and calories (which I never use). I had one before that was from the Walking Company. That one was great and very accurate (I can not remember the brand). I occasionally test this one and it seems to be pretty accurate.

Kendrea - Congrats on the 4 miles!

Sherrita - you are so good about being consistent and you are already up to 10 miles!

Cathy - I have never even seen that magazine. I will look for it! I use to get so many mags that I would rarely read them so I have cut back. I do like prevention and it is small so I can take it places when I might have a few minutes to read.

Hoe is everyone else doing?

I got in my 10,000 steps yesterday and did 45 minutes of resistance training this morning. I just want it to get warm - where is spring?? It is so much easier when it is nice out!

Have a great day!
Macon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #37  

Got up early and did 3 miles this morning. March miles: 13

I've been thinking about getting a pedometer. I go back to Indiana tomorrow and start work Monday. I'm constantly running around at work, so I'm kind of curious how many steps I get in during a shift. Guess I'll find out.

Keep up the great work everybody!
Sherrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #38  

How many of you use pedometers? I didn't realize it was a few of us -- could you tell me how many miles you get when you do 10,000 on yours. I'm curious to see how "accurate" they are.

So far today I've gotten in 4,000 steps. I try to walk when my son is asleep which is on and off.
fma4mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #39  
Amy Needs New Shoes

Hi all. I got in 1/2 a mile yesterday at lunch and then a mile at the park after work. It was a bit breezy but I'm so glad I did it. I'm aiming to get another 1/2 at lunch today at least.

Macon - Thanks for the pedometer advice! We saw "The Jacket" as our post-walk treat . Have you seen the promos about it? It was very good, very intense and interesting. I left the theater thinking about how they did that. Hmmm. haha

Hope you're all doing well. Come on spring!
shoequeen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #40  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Heyyyy.. I show about 2110 per mile on mine. This one is more expensive.. I like the 7.00 Walmart ones just as well. This one had me measure out my stride and put that in too b4hand. I am doing 12,000 a day.. lately its been hard bc of all the cooking, washing dishes, and paperwork that u really can't walk doing. While things cook, I try to pace tho. So that said, I gotta go walk! I am gonna jog and watch TV after I walk around my kitchen table and fol 5 loads of clothes that are there! It's 5:35 pm and I am only at 4500 steps! I need 7500 more! This happens to me alot.. so I spend like two hours watching TV late at night while walking in place or whatever. I simply HAVE to stay on track.. I really want to be a size 14 this summer. I am sorry I can't say more now.. I'm swamped! Hugs to you all.. I'll write again soon.
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #41  

Thumbs up

Hi everyone,
After a sick day yesterday, I was able to get in 1.5 miles on the treadmill today.

March miles 1.5/20

Keep up the hard work everyone!!
bubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #42  

Tasha - That is great that you got in a good walk after being sick. I hope you are feeling better!

Selina - Watching TV is a great way to get in those last extra steps! You do such a great job multi-tasking (walking while getting stuff done around the house!).

Amy - I have not seen that movie. I will have to check it out. I am a little behind on my movies - saw The Aviator and Wedding Date and that is it! You are more brave than I to get out in this weather! It was so windy (and cold) here today and I did not even walk the dog. I did go to the mall and walk though.

Kendrea - You are such an inspiration! I get so settled into my chair working on the computer sometimes and there is no reason not to get up and do laps every hour. You get in a lot while juggling your sons needs. Good for you!
As for accuracy on pedometers. They are pretty accurate but not percise. As selina said, you have to measure out your stride and enter that and obviously, your stride will change some. Selina may have a different opinion but I think jsut taking a few steps is where it is the most inaccurate. Like if you are vaccuming so you are moving but not with a purposeful stride. It is off there but in general, you will be in the ballpark. I have gone 8866 so far today and that is 4.2 miles. I will get to 10,000 tonight and let you know the total miles.

Sherrita - Great job on the 3 miles! Do you work out to tapes or just on the road? May I ask what you do that you commute to Indiana?

I am at 8866 but will get to 10,000 before bed tonight. I also did resistence training this morning and my arms were sore by this afternoon so tomorrow morning, I will probably have trouble getting out of bed. That's what I get for getting so out of shape!

Hope everyone else is well!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #43  

Thumbs up

Hi everybody,

Well, I walked a bit longer on the treadmill than usual, I was liking the show on the tv.

So far, I am at 3.3/20 March Miles. Not to shabby since I hate to exercise!!

I have a question about the pedometer thing for you guys. I have tried a few different "cheapy" brands. Do you think it is better to invest in a more expansive one to get the accuracy? The ones I tried just never seemed to work for me. I'm not sure if it because of the way I walk or what. Any suggestions??

Hope everyone has had a great day! Thanks for the warm welcome.
bubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #44  

In my opinon, there is not much difference. I have never gotten a really cheap one (usually around $30-40 I think) but if you think about the mechanics, you can see why there would be some inaccuracy in any brand. First, everyone's stride length is different so steps to miles would vary from person to person. The little ball jingling counts as a step so jumping up and down counts. Also, your stride varies all day long (which is why running when you have entered a walking stride doesn't work in terms of accuracy). I test mine throughout the day and as I mentioned before, I think when I am just taking a few steps is when it is the most inaccurate. I would like to try the kind you put on your shoe, has anyone tired this one? I also plan to get a new one from the Walking Company and will compare it to my Target one.

Maybe the key is to just feel like you are moving around or if you hit the treadmill x number of times a week?

I probably will not get in all my steps today. I am up to 8,000 but so tired. I did more resistance training this morning and it really wipes me out!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 AM   #45  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Hey ladies,

Sounds like you are all burnin' rubber this month!

Macon... Good on ya for all that exercise! You're doing killer! Keep it up! How's the sugar/wheat free thing working for you? Is it difficult? How long have you been doing it for? Have you noticed any great results because of it? I really admire ppl who have that will-power! Me? Sweet-tooth gets the best of me.... CONSTANTLY!

Tasha... You're off to a great start, girl... especially considering you weren't feeling well earlier on in the week! Way to go for walking more than you had expected on the TM!

Selina... Wow, you have a busy day! How do you do it, lady? And you constantly get 10k steps in! My goodness! I don't doubt for a second that you'll be in those size 14's by the summer!

Amy... Great working getting those miles in... and for continuing to do so even in breezy weather! Good on ya, girl! I'm also very happy to hear that your bf has been supportive in the process and has started joining you in your walks! That's FAB-U-LOUS!

Kendrea... You're doing wonderfully, girl... especially with a brand-new baby! I bet you can't wait for the weather to improve so you can get outdoors with him in the stroller, hey? Hopefully Spring will soon arrive!

Sherrita... Congrats on the 13 miles thus far! That's phenom! Keep it up! How'd your trip back to Indiana go? Did you get around to buying that pedometer yet?

Cathy... As always, well done! I really appreciate how consistent you are! And I'm so very happy for you that your down another pound! Fabulous, lady! Don't forget to update your signature, show off all those "smiley faces"!

As for me, sleeping hasn't improved much in the last week and I'm really starting to feel drained. The morning is definitely the worst. Meh. Really going to focus on eating right and see if that helps any.

The weather here has been amazing (hit 17C today)! And I'll be outdoors tomorrow racking up some miles... well, that's the plan anyway! Really hoping to be up to the low 20's in my March goal. So we'll see.

Nothing else to report. Just wanted to quickly touch base with all of you.

Please take care of yourselves, stay happy and healthy and have a great Thursday! Best wishes!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote