Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #1  

Default Question for treadmill walkers/runners

Hey ladies, I need some of your fitness knowledge!

Right now I walk almost everyday, and I try to go at a minimum of 3.0, and sometimes I use the incline to 2.5 to work different muscles. When I get warmed up I'm usually at 3.2, and I get a decent sweat going.

So my question is: is the important thing for weight loss just that I get my heart rate up/sweating, or should I be trying to go longer than 30 min at a slower pace? Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough, or that I'm "doing it wrong" (even though I know it's good just to be moving ).

For those of you that have really lost weight walking, do you think I should be doing a walk/jog thing, or just focusing on walking longer, walking with hand weights, etc? I just need a little encouragement and direction from you more experienced chicks!

Thanks for the help!
MNmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #2  
deleted2

I think it's important to mix things up, keep your body guessing. I play around with the incline [walk slower at a higher incline], and then I'll let it all the way down and power walk at 4.5 miles per hour. If I'm watching a TV show sometimes I'll increase the speed and jog during the commercials!

Whatever you do is fine as long as you keep doing it!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #3  

Thanks. I know I just need to keep going, right? I am amazed at your power walk pace!!! How do you not just fly off the machine?? I find that when I get to about 3.2 for 10 min or so, my calves start to hurt so bad, even after I've stretched. I feel like there's no way I could go faster, but I know that can't be true. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to lose more weight to go faster?

By the way, I saw that you are a fellow culinarian! Did you go to school? Where do you work? It's always nice to meet another chef.
Hope
Old 01-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #4  
deleted2

Sometimes I think I will fly off the back! Hasn't happened yet though. How long have you been treadmilling? I'm assuming you have one at home, right? My husband and I love ours. We're on our 4th treadmill now! Our latest one is one of the really pricey ones, so maybe it'll last a long time, I hope!

You're absolutely not doing anything wrong--just keep doing it. I always say that even if you only work out for 5-10 minutes a day you can honestly say you've done it and that day can be a success. And then you'll build on that, and it just gets better and better.

Do you warm up first or just start at 3.2? Does the pain in your calves let up if you slow down? What do you do to 'entertain' yourself when you walk? I have to watch TV otherwise I wouldn't do it--something that really keeps me stepping!

I've been a cook at a continuing education center for about 12 years now. Didn't go to school for it, but always wondered what it would be like. Lots of concerts, book discussions, art classes and I get to do the receptions and lunches. I really love it! I'm a long-time vegetarian and people know that, so they actually kinda expect something healthy from me, but they want cookies too! Over the years I've really struggled with not eating everything I make there and have finally gotten a handle on it.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:19 PM   #5  

Yes, you're right about just giving myself a little credit for getting off the couch! I try to remember that and keep my perfectionistic self at bay when I can.

Yep, we have a treadmill at home, and a TV right in front of it!!
I like to leave it on VH1 or Mtv (when they actually have something on besides Room Raiders, for gods sake). Anything that gets me going! Actually it seems like car ads have really good music!!!

Usually I start around 2.7 for 4min and then work my way up over the next 5 min to 3.2. If I slow down the pain stops, so I guess that seems like the logical answer, right? But it's so irritating!! I can walk that fast, if only the muscles wouldn't tense up! It must be the way I walk.

I went to Le Cordon Bleu in Mpls, but lots and lots of cooks I know never went to school and make a fine living. Actually, y'all are doing better than me since I can't even find a job right now! I am trying to learn lighter ways of cooking now, it's very different than the french style I was taught. Sure, we took a nutrition class, but the chef was very bad and no one took it seriously...and here I am 80 lbs overweight!!! My own fault.

I'm trying to vary my workouts, using a stability ball and videos (yoga, cardio), and I think it's going okay - except my sciatic nerve has decided to act up and make cardio really painful. Other than that, it's all moving along!