Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #1  
Chubby Face

Default Breaking out in bumps from Exercise! Help!

I just started exercising about 3 weeks ago and ever since, i've started breaking out in bumps! They run down the sides of my neck and across my chest. At first i thought they were zits, but now i'm not so sure. Only one or two of the bumps have looked and felt like zits. The rest are just tiny red bumps and some of them itch as well. Any ideas why this is happening and what i can do to make it go away?? My boyfriend speculated that they're hives, but i've never had hives before (that i know of) so it's hard to tell. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Rainbow Brite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like it might be a sweat rash! Try an anti-itch cream or something like that, try to wear light natural fabrics when working out, or if you're feeling loaded with cash, invest in a top made from fabric that will "wick" sweat away from your body.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #3  

Some people, and I am one of them, have pores that close over especially when they are working hard, like exercising more often. I have permanently closed ones on my arms, and have just started noticing them on my chest. My doctor was so excited when she saw the ones on my arms, the condition has some fancy latin name, and it was the first time she had really seen it!

As well as 2frustrated's excellent suggestions, try using a gentle exfoliator, it may not get rid of them but it will reduce their appearance. It needs to be a really gentle cream, and avoid anything with walnut shells in it, it will make your skin even more red.

And drink heaps of water before after and during exercise to keep your skin working nicely.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #4  

Sounds like the pores are closing. I agree with exfoliating gently, like with one of those yummy nylon scrubby's. I love mine. A gentle moisturizing soap might help too, something anti-bacterial.
Thena
Thena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #5  

This happens to me sometimes too and i think it's caused from teh sweat as well. Just keep a towel with you and be sure to wipe the sweat off everytime you feel it trickeling..Also take a good long clean shower when you get home and put some lotion on your body..you should be good to go then!
lovemychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:07 PM   #6  

The same thing happend to me, but I'm not sure if it was exercise related. I got these bumps all over my hands and lower arms that were red and itchy, and some were filled with puss. I'm pretty sure they were hives. I bought some Benadryl cream, and it helped it go away in a few days. Try that.
RainCloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote