Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #31  
singletrack chick

congrats on a good first run back wndranne.

i have got to run. i'm pms'ing hardcore and just can not make myself get out in this 20 degree weather to do it. i hate the cold. 35 degrees is ok, 40+ is ideal. my lungs feel like they freeze up at 20 degrees.

my plan had been to start training for a marathon at the first of feb. but now i'm not so sure that it is the right time. i haven't been keeping up with my running. i wanted to focus on pace maintenance until feb. but i haven't felt like running. guess tomorrow i will have to bite the bullet and get off my butt and run.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #32  
Giving it a try (again)

This week it has been so cold outside that I have not been able to force myself out for a run. Plus I have been resting a sore shin. But I think tonight I will try out a treadmill at the gym. It will cost $10 since I don't have a membership, but I am desperate .

I can't wait for spring!
fannie~annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #33  
singletrack chick

10 dollars, sheez. sounds .like to me, someone needs a membership.

i got out this morning and ran. not a good run. more of a walk actually. but it felt good to get out and get some excercise. i just wanted to lay on the couch so a walk run was a huge acomplishment today. saturady is supposed to be really nice so i'm hoping to get in a decent run. seems like during that time of the month its like pulling teeth to run. when i finally get out, my legs don't even want to move and my lungs just shut down. today i showed my hormones who's the boss. HAHAHAHAHa. i tried a new route today that i really liked so that should help keep me motivated. i like a little variety every now and then. my old route was so routine that it was becoming more of a chore than a joy.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #34  
Ilene the Bean

Hello fellow runners...

Congrats Anne on getting back into the groove...

Congrats Laura, a walk/run is better than nothing that's for sure... I love variety in my running route, my weights routine, and even the music I listen to when I run on the treadmill at the gym... It's the spice of life you know...

Annie -- I had a great run yesterday at the gym... WAY too cold here to run outside too.... I have a gym membership and enjoy it tremendously like just for the variety and the social aspect of working out... I find when I am alone it's just too boring, I could never get around to doing exercise tapes at home... Having people around motivates me...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #35  

Good job on your runs girls!

Since my school's gym has opened on Monday I've going there every day and doing 3 to 4 miles a day on the 200 meter track (treadmills scare me after I fell off one back in high school becasue I was dumb and tried to hop on one while it was moving )

My pace has been getting better...right around 8:30 minute miles after about 2 weeks of getting back into my running groove. Hopefully my legs will keep getting faster again!

Stay warm ya'll!

-Diane
HokieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #36  
Giving it a try (again)

I ran 4 miles (8.8K) last night on the treadmill. Oh man did I ever need it! I think I will try to go again tonight. It is still too cold to run outside.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #37  
Ilene the Bean

Annie -- 4 miles by my conversion (see link below) equals 6.44k... 4 miles is awesome, it's better than what I have done today, which is nothing... It's -23C/-9C here and I don't even want to go out for a drive to the gym to get to the !!

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/conversions.html
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #38  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Ilene, I don't blame you for notwanting to go out. I just got back from picking up ds from school, and even well dressed it was a painful 10 minutes outside. It's currently -23C/-35C windchill here, and that's the warmest it's been all day.

I'm rather glad that I went running Thursday morning, when it was cold, but not instant skin freeze cold, so I don't feel too guilty about spending Friday hibernating.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #39  

Default just getting started

Well, I finally got to the gym this week. Twice, as a matter of fact I'm on the first week of Couch 2 5K Cool Running I'm doing my running on a treadmill as I know the weather would keep me inside if I tried to start outside. It's currently 8 degrees fahrenheit and I've tried running before in that temp, but I feel awful afterwards. So it's the gym until the weather gets nicer.
I'm hoping to run a not unrespectable 5K by June - my 40th birthday. I've never been terribly athletic so this is a big goal.
DebbieJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #40  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Deborah,

Good for you doing the C25K program. I know a lot of people have had success with that one. And I always think running on the treadmill is harder than running outside so you'll have an extra edge.

Just did my 2nd post-marathon run. Much better this time! Most of the aches and pains seem to be gone. Foot and knee are both good. Went out for about an hour, took the dog, took some dog breaks, took some walk breaks, nice and slow. Made just about 5 miles, for 12 min/mi including all the messing around. The weather was almost perfect too, 50ish (F). I'm going to be jealous of you guys next summer when it's 100 deg by 9 a.m. here, but right now I'm lovin' it!

Anybody else run with a dog? Mine is always trying to trip me. I usually only take her for fun runs and such.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #41  
Running Babe

Hi all,

My running embargo ends on Tuesday!!! So I'll be back group leading a 10K group at the back of the pack. This will be me on Tuesday "Guys... uh slow down... good for your heart, not due to me bring out of shape.... yah that's it). SO I am kind of nervous to be group leading when I haven't ran since Dec 31st.

I have soooo missed running and exercising in general... I lifed a 24 pack of bottled water yesterday (don't tell my docs) and it was feeling really heavy when usually I have zero problems with that.

Other than that I am working a new position which I am loving (I am a training co-ordinator now). Haven't seen the raise yet (these things take time, but it means I'll have some back pay ). My BF still is looking for work, he's thinking of getting his real estate license and doing that and working on small IT contracts on the side.

I have eaten too much over the last few weeks. Oh well, today is a new days and I had a great brekkie!! I think a lot of it was nervousness, frustration and anger over my health etc. It's been a tough couple of months. But hey no more excuses and back to making me and my health a priority.

Anne: I was wondering about that... I know you don't get too cold where you are, but I was wondering what you did in the summer when the daytime temps are well over 35C (about 100+ degrees F), that just must be brutal. Do you just try to run in the early morning and then the evenings?

Laura: When it's cold do you cover your mouth with a scarf or a balaclava? Those can help. Don't worry your lungs won't freeze, but covering the mouth takes a bit of the sharp edge off of the coldness. Actually since I started running in the cold, I think of the cold air like a cool drink of water, that's how it feels now.

Only Me, Ilene, Annie: Hopefully this is it for the bitter cold , I can deal with any daytime high above -15C, but when it's colder than that I get grumpy. At least the days are getting longer. I hate the month where I pretty much leave for work when it's dark and come home when it's dark. It at least is staying daylight longer.

CAC: Hopefully everything went well. I feel for you as I have been unable to exercise too.... I went towards food a bit which isn't really the best choice...

Debbie: Congrats! I have heard that's a good program for getting started!! Remember take it slow, and don't compare yourself to anyone, you're doing this for you

Diane: I started running on a 200M track a few years ago at my University. Was a great way to start... not much traffic (of people) and sometimes teh guys in the gym below playing basketball or what not were eye candy

Cheers!

Ali

Last edited by Sweater Girl; 01-23-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #42  

Height: 5'7"

Ali, congrats on making it through your 3 weeks! Hope you have a great run on Tuesday. I usually find that one side effect of extra eating is a really good run. The extra fuel helps. Not a great reason to overeat of course, but might as well enjoy the one good side effect I've ever seen from it!

In the summer I get up about 4:30 or 5 a.m. to run and usually run for less than an hour. It doesn't cool off quickly enough to really run in the evenings either. I hate the treadmill but that's another option if absolutely necessary. I also swim a lot more in the summer for obvious reasons.

Everybody stay warm!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #43  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

It was nice and sunny this afternoon, and "only" -18, so I went out for a run after wimping out first thing in the morning due to cold and snow. It turned out to be a great run, and I think I'll try going out later in the day more often while it's so cold and dark in the morning. I ran 9.44K (just under 6 miles) at an average 5:34/k pace (about 9 min/mile I think) (still loving my forerunner) and enjoyed the sun and passing all the people in ski suits out for a walk. The couple of inches of snow we got over night nicely covered up the ice underneath, making for much less treacherous footing than Thursday am. And my bruised hip is almost healed from my fall last Sunday. It's interesting how some days what seems like an easy pace is about 30s-40s/km faster than an easy pace on the same route on another day.

Ali, welcome back from your forced hiatus and have a great run on Tuesday. How long will it be? And how did your New Year's 10k run go? Good luck being a group leader! I'd like to take the 1/2 marathon course there, but dh works evenings during the winter. A spring/summer course might be possible though since he tends to work less at that time of year. So, I'm on my own for now, roughly using the Galloway 1/2 schedule since I don't really want to run more than 3X per week with the current weather fluctuations.

Diane, welcome. 8:30 miles sound really good to me for only a couple of weeks back running!

Ilene, hope you're enjoying the snow. It's got to be better than the -40 windchills we'll be getting overnight/tomorrow morning.

Deborah, I started running using the C25K program last summer and I'm currently running 3X per week, normally 6-7km on weekdays and building up to a longer run, today just under 10k, on weekends. It really eased me into running much more easily than I expected. Last July I never thought I'd be able to go out for a 50 minute run at a decent pace, enjoy it, and not collapse gasping for breath at the end.

Anne, while I envy you your warm weather right now, I know that come June or so, I'll be glad to be living up here (and I'll still complain when we hit our one or two heat waves in July).
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #44  
Giving it a try (again)

Default Hibernating

I have been a total whimp the last couple of weeks! I finally went to the gym to run on the treadmill. Yesterday I went on a friends treadmill and tomorrow night I am going to the gym again. I was supposed to do a 13K but I bailed out because of the cold. Well actually, my partner bailed and I just agreed. Same thing. I am hating this weather.

I am hoping it will be a bit warmer by Tuesday or so... I will get back to running on my lunch hour.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Just popping in to say that I lurk here and am gleaning info on gear. I've got the right shoes, hat, hood, a brand new nylon shell windbreaker thing but my face is stiff. But then I learned here about covering it with a scarf. Aha!

I didn't last very long out there today (-9C) but I did run some. See how persuasive that Ilene is.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote