Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #1  

Default Newbie needs encouragement

I started to exercise about 6 weeks ago on my quest to lose another 20 lbs and start on an overall healthier lifestyle. I lost 20 lbs (of the 40 that I wanted to lose) but have not been able to shed a single lb in the past 6 months. I cut out all refined sugars, bad carbs, etc. It seemed to be working well and then just stalled. I was hoping that the exercise would shake things up but so far absolutely nothing. I also measured as I understand that the scale sometimes "lies".

I know that everyone is different, but how long did it take some of you to start seeing results? I do 45 minutes of cardio and about 1/2 hr of light weight training 4-5 days a week. I was hoping that with all other things being the same, that the extra few hundred burned calories would have added up to a couple of lbs or an inch or two, but alas none of that has happened yet.

Thanks in advance for your help and encouragement.
Regina
reginag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Regina Welcome to 3FC!! Congrats on your accomplishment so far great work... But the work gets more difficult as you get nearer to goal, unfortunately ... But that's ok, that's why we're all here to help each other...

Don't despair in only 6 weeks, honestly it takes much longer than that to get in shape and to stay in shape it's a LIFETIME commitment...... Did it take you only 6 weeks to get in the bad shape you were/are in? Nope... I doubt that...

You say you do 45 mins of cardio... Do you work up a big bad ole sweat, I mean it, SWEAT my dear...Feel like your gonna cough up a lung, seriously .... What I've done to kick up my metabolism is to warm up for 5 mins. then go all out for 1 min. slow down for 1, then go up 1 min, slow down 1 min. and so-on, I do this for a total of 20 mins then cool-down for 5 ... You can either put the incline up or run for the harder portion of the workout... This will burn and rev up your engine much more than doing 45 mins at a leisurely pace watching TV or reading a book... This is called HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, and is much more effective. Try it, you like it!!

Secondly your weight training... You say your are lifting "light"... Go heavy don't be shy with the weights... If you can afford it get a trainer to show you the ropes, but if you can't don't give up... there are quite a few sites that are very very helpful out there here's one that is great and fun to read too http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html...
Now if you're like MOST of the women out there who are scared that weights will make you bulk up dont' be, we don't have the testosterone to do that, and once you get the fat off your muscles, wowow you will look loverly dahlin'...
here is a link to my fav pic of fat vs. muscle... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...chmentid=17582

Well I hope all my rambling has helped... Hope to hear from you soon... I post mainly at the Ladies Who Lift board but I'm all over the place really...

TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #3  

Ilene, Thanks so much. You make some very good points. Yes, I don't (yet) work up a good sweat. I walk at 3.7 mph after a 5 min warm up (up from 2.7 a couple of weeks ago) for 20 min and then another 20 on the stationary bike. I guess I really need to push myself more. I will try your HIIT tip. I have a hard time running but will definately try the incline and see how that goes. You hit it on the head regarding the weights - I am one of those afraid of bulking up. Currently I am working all of the major muscle groups on those machines. The trainer worked up a program where I am doing 2 sets of 10. Should I add another more reps, add another set, or go up in weight if it gets too easy. I have read on a couple of places somewhere on the board that one should work till the muscle can't do any more - is this your opinion too?

Thanks again for all your encouragement and for your welcome. I think I found the right support site.

Regina
Old 08-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hi again Regina... ...

If you are doing 10 reps and you can easily do 12-15, up your weight and add a set making it 3 sets of 10....

Yes, my opinion is that you should work the muscle to "failure" 99.9% of the time....

Also, how long have you been doing this workout, that the trainer gave you? 6 weeks by any chance? If so, it's time to change up... Your body gets used to doing certain exercises then there's, another one of those darn plateaus !! Gosh but I hate those "plateaus" !! But they are always there so we have to change up and experiment our bodies love the change...

HTH...TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 PM   #5  

Thanks Ilene. Yes, I met with the trainer again yesterday to change up the routine. I also changed the cardio from just treadmill to also include the bike. I will also add the HIIT for a minute at a time and see how I do.

Thanks so much for your time.