New Runner, some gear questions

• Hi!

I've been powerwalking for a long time and am now starting to run - I've been doing intervals... run/walk/run/walk...

I have a few "gear" questions though.

For the ladies - Bra's... even sports bras don't seem to do much and I'm afraid of saggy breasts in the future. What kind of bras do you wear to avoid excessive bouncing?

Next, shoes. I'd prefer to run on something softer, but unfortunately, my only options for running around here are asphalt. 1. Are there running shoes geared toward asphalt versus softer trails? 2. What can I do to protect my feet? I tried wearing 2 pairs of socks but that made my shoes uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance!

--zannie
  • Zannie: For the bra, perhaps go to your local sports store to see what they have in stock. Some women I have heard train with two bras (sorry I cannot help ya more, I am only an A cup). As for your shoes, wear shoes specifically made for road running which are most running shoes, don't go for all terrain as they tend to be made for trails. Ashpalt is better than concrete! As for socks, I use one pair only with a cushioned sole and vented top (Champion socks from Costco are like that, I got 6 for $15CDN). You'll probably only want to wear one pair as feet can grow up to half a size when you run. Also make sure your shoes are fairly new as older shoes lose their cushioning due to force and age (the air deflates over time, even on shoes that have never been worn). Also make sure your feet have that room to grow half a size (or else you could get black toe nails, I have one due to my old pairs of shoes, not pretty). Do you have any running stores near you? I am sure their staff could help you.

Anyway congrats on your loss! and feel free to join us on the running thread!

Ali
  • Hi Zanie...

I'm not a runner.. so can't help you on the foot end.. but I am a big girl bra-wise ( a very soft 38 DD) and after trying soooooooo many sports bras that just didn't hold, well, I found the best support for me in the strangest place...
    A Wonderbra minimizer bra. It claims to look make you look up to 2 cup sizes smaller (which is great under Tshirts) and holds my girls in tight. I had bought it to wear under a cute, clingy top, and its been moved to the gym bag. It works great for aerobics.. so would probably work well for running too.

HTH
    Julie
  • I have no advice on the bra question (and mine already sag ), but to get the best shoes for your feet and your running habits and conditions, you really should visit an actual running store. At a running store, the clerk will be very knowledgable and be able to help you find the right shoes for you.
  • Ohhhh thanks guys!!!

Ali, I'm gonna check out those socks... and Julie - definitely checking out the bra!!! I'm a big b, small c but still can't find anything to hold tight. Tracy - will find a running store!

Thanks tons!
  • Zannie: I agree with CCB, when I got fitted for my shoes, the staff made me walk around so they could see how I walk and how my arches are etc. There are so many runners out there so I am sure you'll find one pair that fit great!

Ali