Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Any boxers/kickboxers?

I am very interested in joining a kickboxing gym, but at almost 300 pounds, I just don't know if I would be able to do it physically. If you bx or kickbox, how big were you when you started?
CrazyChubbyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #2  

I got to kickboxing classes at the gym sometimes. I really enjoy them, but and i'm so insanely un-coordinated it can be funny. I've went to a class once by myself but usually I go with my best friend (we are both trying to lose weight and get in shape together).

Everyone works at their own pace, I wouldn't let your weight or size (Especially at the Gym!) get in the way. I know one exercise class my friend and I attended (we were the biggest people in the class), the instructor came and talked to us afterwards and said she was glad we were there doing it and we would get better with practice.

So, if you think it will be fun, GO FOR IT! =D
Alexisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #3  
Mel

I go to a kick boxing class whenever I can- I'm not big (anymore ), but I am totally uncoordinated and am always the oldest in the class. The first time I went, the instructor kept turning around to check on me- maybe to make sure my heart was still beating

As Alexisa says, you can do what YOU can do, and that's true for any class or gym activity. It's not a competition Give it a try, it's a great workout!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I kickbox at the moment, I used to do some kickbox/dance class which was to music and was really fun. I was around 196 then.

The class I go to at the moment is pretty intense, but the instructors are cool if you can't manage stuff. Kickboxing gives you confidence, so the more you go the better you'll get and the happier you'll be!

Go for it!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #5  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I am learning to teach kickboxing at the moment. I am being mentored by a friend until I can get the official cert in December - when, despite my best efforts, I don't expect to be much below 190lbs myself.

2 of my regular clients weigh more than 300lbs, one started off at 380lbs although he is now down to 350lbs.

I suggest that you have a chat with your local instructor. Make sure that they think they are capable of including you safely in a class. Also check them out to see if you think you trust them to be able to give you enough extra information to tailor the class/workout to you and your requirements!!!

I find that my 2 large guys really enjoy it as it is very enjoyable and works both aerobic system and muscles.

Basically there is no reason that a bigger person should not take up kickboxing. It just takes a while longer to get the balance and coordination as well as the ability to kick confidently! You will certainly find no end of willing mitt and pad partners, as your extra weight will mean that you can both pack and take a good punch - and that means more fun and a better workout for everyone!

So go to it and enjoy!!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #6  

I love my kickboxing classes. When I started them I was over 200 pounds. When I first started it was hard to even get my fat thighs off the ground. Start slow, let your body dictate how high to kick or how hard to punch, in no time you will be surprised at your progress. It took me about 2 or 3 months before I could actually do the entire hour class without stopping to rest. The key for me was that the instructor told us constantly to only do what you can.

Good luck.

226/140/130

"If you think you can, you can; if you think you can't, you're probably right"
motownsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 320/200/150

Height: 5'7"

motownsbest, check your PMs.
CrazyChubbyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #8  
Proud Twinmom

S/C/G: 250.5/223.5/147

Height: 5'8

Hi,

I don't belong to a gym. I have over 125 workout videos and do it at home. That takes out the feeling of embarassment because of being uncoordinated or worrying about how you look. I absolutely love working out at home. I just really started doing kickboxing. The kickboxing vids I am working with now are: Taebo's, Cathe's Kick, Punch and Crunch and Powerstrike. Like the other ladies have mentioned, go at your own pace and definitely follow the form pointers given to prevent injury which is certainly possible if done incorrectly.

Best wishes. You will get there.

U2girl
u2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #9  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

hi all i do thai boxing and amatuere boxing. i started at 322lb and i'm now 238. i aim to hit 204. don't be embarraced about not being able to do things most propper gyms have a work ethic about them along the lines of it doesn't matter how much you can do as long as you are doing something. on the cost of things try looking for a all women class at a propper kick boxing gym not a class at a health club somewhere there usually cheaper with less people and better equipt. i was the biggest in the gym when i started and now at 238 i'm still the biggest in the gym but i'm one of the fittest
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote