Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 04:29 PM   #1  

Hi there,

I exercise quite frequently, swimming laps in the pool (3-4 times a week for at least 30 mins.) and cycling to and from work (20-30 mins. each way).

I have only been swimming for almost 4 months and although I feel myself getting stronger in both my legs and arms, I can't seem to lose weight around my waist. I eat well (sometimes too well) but avoid fast food and have lessened my alcohol intake.

I am fairly small-boned and stand about 5'7" and weigh about 208 lbs. I have a huge roll around my waist, which totally puts my body out of proportion. The fat seems to sit there and on my breasts which are a 40 DD.

I would really appreciate any advice on how I can try and reduce the size of my "roll".

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:03 PM   #2  

Are you losing any fat at all? When I'm over weight I carry most of it in the middle,too. Its the last to go when I lose weight. Right know I need to lose about 15 lbs and its all in my stomach and bust. So if you are losing fat just keep going, it will eventually come off.

If you're not losing fat, take a good look at your diet and make sure that you're getting enough to eat. If you're not, then you're body may think its starving and hold on to the fat. This has also happened to me and I added more to my diet and I started losing again.

Or...if you have been exercising for a while without increasing the intensity then your body may be used to it and you may need to challenge yourself a little more.

If its none of these things then check with your doctor to see if its something medical. You are definitly on the right track, our bodies just don't always do what we want them to!

Goods luck!!
Rachel
Old 04-19-2001, 09:22 PM   #3  

I agree with Rachel that it's fat loss that will make the big difference for you. You don't mention your diet, so that's probably the most logical place to start.

It's great that you're exercising and getting to work on your bicycle. If you haven't been taking your body measurments, make sure you start. Perhaps you're losing inches elsewhere right now and eventually you'll start to see some losses in the tummy. (My stubborn spot are my hips and thighs, and I lose them last.)

Another possibility is something I've read before about swimming. It's a great exercise, but I've read that it's not the best for fat loss. There are other aerobic exercises (like walking, jogging, spinning, aerobic dance) that are better for overall fat loss - especially when combined with strength training.

Hope this helps a bit.
Closed Thread