Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Swimming tips? Need help

I have decided to add some lap swimming into my routine as it is summer and I go to a gym that has a pool. The only problem is that I have never really done lap swimming before. I know how to swim and the last time I took swimming lessons was when I was about 8 years old. What I would like to work on is my technique so that I can become efficient about using swimming as a means to exercise. I have tried searching on the web and I haven't found anything that fits my needs.

So, my question is, does anyone have any information on swimming as a means of exercise and different techniques/tips and styles to use and ways to improve your swimming especially if you are someone who hasn't "seriously" done it?

Thanks
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #2  

I have the oppertunity to swim while my boys are taking swim lessons. I have been trying to get into the pool at least 3 days a week. Granted we have just started week 3 of a 6 week program. I am not a real good swimmer but I feel just getting in the water and swimming in the deep end and at times taking a break by treading water is a big help. I have noticed a difference in how I feel in just the past 2 weeks. I think I would suggest you just get in the water and swim.
Good luck.
WNYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #3  

Thumbs up Try this

Try

Swimming.about.com which gives techniques,tips and advice

or you may want to try the American Red Cross website because some locales teach the lifeguarding courses and give tips along there as well.

As a swimmer for 25 years you just build on like running. Do a couple laps then stop and tread or what ever you want. Add a little more on each week. Have fun with it - That's the most important part!

Summer
GEMonster is offline   Reply With Quote