Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Numb Toes on Elliptical?

I really hope no one has posted this before...I'm off to lunch and making a breach of netiquette by not searching for this topic before posting.

I just got my new shoes, and find that I still have a problem with my toes going numb when I'm working on the elliptical. I have had the problem since I started using the elliptical, and hoped the new shoes would help.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, any idea what causes it and what we can do to make it stop?

Thanks for your help! :
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Another thing I found that when I first started the elliptical I was kind of snapping my knees back and then would eventually end up with numbs toes too. I finally figured out that you make the motion with your legs as if you are treading water and it works great no more numb toes. I agree with jack too about shifting your feets position every so often helps too

HTH
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Good points, Jack and Michelle! Thank you! I'll have to pay more attention to how I'm striding to see what I might be doing. I do have to shuffle my feet around, as they tend to end up at the front of the footplates and in danger of going over the edge.

I noticed this morning that the footplates on our ellipticals are tilted forward slightly. Is that normal for most elliptical machines?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I know that the footplates on the elliptical that I use are steady and flat not tilted forward but there could be all sorts I suppose I'm not much help on that one lol.
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #5  

Default me too

hi,
i get numb toes too on the crosstrainer. i used to use the step and bicycle and it happened then too. it also happens sometimes on the treadmill. i read awhile ago that it happens to about 30% of people. it happens to my sister too. i always thought that hen it happened i should try to take pressure off my feet
i'll try getting up on my toes and see if that helps. thanks jack.

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I think, now I'm not sure... but I heard a trainer tell someone to push through the heal... also make doubly sure that your running shoes are not too tight around the toes...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #7  

I had this problem! My shoe fit fine it was my socks! the seam on the inside of the sock was pushing on the nerve on the side of my foot with the motion of the eliptical trainer it pushed it further I changed to a sock that did not have a seam and voila! my foot was better...I also find that cross trainers vs running shoes are better for an eliptical machine!...take care
KidzRN is offline   Reply With Quote