Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #16  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default where is everyone?

I bet you are all out running.

I went to my track workout tonight. We did intervals totaling 3.75 miles. It felt more like 10 miles! I know it's good for me though and it is nice to get the encouragement of others in my group. Anyone else run or do anything interesting today?

Ang
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:46 PM   #17  

Default ran to day

hi all,
so today the clinic resumed after two week off due to holidays. the course was 5mins warm up walk, and 6 cycles of 2min run, 1 min walk for. it was pretty hard after a while. i got some cramping in my calf but it's not as bad as it used to be. running on asphalt is murder and pavement is worse. today we ran mostly on the road. one of the leaders said to eat more potassium. 1-1.5 bananas 1 hour before running.
every class we run for 30 mins then discuss a topic for 30 mins, todays topic was motivation and goals.

so if anyone would like to share (sounds like group therapy no? ) their motivations and short, medium and long term goals i'll start
my motivationto run is to lose weight and get fit. i have a long way to go. i have never been able to run even as a teenager. i know people who run a lot , marathons and such and think its great! my short term goals is just to make through the next class. my first medium term goal is to run 5k, then 10k. my long term goal is to complete a triathlon. when? who knows 1-2 years. it's been a dream for a long time. i've never told anyone that before because, you know, what if i never accomplish it? we'll see.

good work on all the running. you guys are doing great!

I want to gain 1,500 or 2,000 yards, whichever comes first.
George Rogers, Saints running back

hope to hear from you guys soon
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:49 PM   #18  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

We ran Tuesday morning. Started off with a warm up walk, then 20 minutes running, then walking, then 15 minutes running followed by walking for a total time of 57 minutes. We've increased our distance because we're increasing the amount of time we run vs. walk. We plan to run again tomorrow morning. We have to start before 6:00 AM or it's too HOT!

gen, I really liked the site. I realized that my shoulders frequently hurt after I run when I was reading the Fun Stuff. I learned that I need to relax my shoulders by relaxing my hands.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #19  
Persistent and Stubborn

My long term goal is to lose weight. I think I have between 25 and 30 pounds to lose (hopefully not more - I'll have to see if I ever get down that far). Right now I also use running as a way to feel like I am accomplishing something. A lot of other stuff in my life is not going great so this is something good to hold on to. Short term goals are to run a sub 30 min. 5k and one race this year at a longer distance, maybe 5 miles or a 10k if I really start to make some progress.

gen - I think participating in a triathlon is a great goal. If you want it you will get there, and if not, just think of all you will accomplish trying to get there. Your clinic sounds great. Keep up the good work.

Tig - Did you run this morning? 57 minutes out is great! I wish I had the time and energy to put in an hour of running/walking.

Thursday I ran with my club and did 3 miles in under 30 minutes. I go a lot faster when I have to try and keep up with people. It is the first time I ever averaged under a 10 minute mile. Today I really wanted to ride my bike but I spent 4.5 hours weeding my farm/garden and I'm just not sure my legs can take a bike ride now. I guess the weeding was still exercise, at least I hope so.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Ang
Old 07-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #20  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

We ran again this morning. Walked 10 minutes, ran 20 minutes, walked 2, ran 15 and walked 10 for 57 minutes again for the 3.8 miles. We ran after 7 so it was a good drippy humidity run! I keep thinking if I run the 20 walk run 15 consistently I start increasing the time until I can run a 5K with no walking. That's my goal for this fall when the 5K races start up again here.

Ang, weeding definitely counts as exercise! You're right about running faster when running with other people. Congratulations on the under 30 minutes for the 3 miles!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #21  
Persistent and Stubborn

Thanks Tig - good job with your running too! You will be doing a 5k in no time. It is amazing how much energy you get at races too when there are so many people. I have been in two local ones and hope to get in one this year that is a little bigger. It's hard though if I'm not willing to drive a little bit. We'll see what happens. Tig - you may want to pick out a race for the fall and have it as a goal. I have one in September that I am going to use as my under 30 minute 5k (I hope). It's nice to have something to strive for.

Keep up the great work - I think I am actually going to stop typing and get on my bike.

Ang
Old 07-11-2004, 09:18 PM   #22  

HI everyone Just back from holidays. I did one 4 mile on Saturday. We have been getting the rain. I am getting back on the running game again this week. I will be 4 times this week. I am be trying to kinda train for the 8K coming up soon. The only problem we are taking holidays soon again for 2 weeks and to run on holidays like I do at home is way too hard. The 8k that is coming is in Sept.
Well that is my Short goal. Long goal is to get a 10k at a good time like 55 min. And keep my weight down. After holidays that is 5 pounds.
Well it sure looks like everyone is still keeping up with their runs.
I hope that all are doing well.
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #23  
Persistent and Stubborn

Good job Tanya. It is hard to run while you are on holiday but are you able to find any time to exercise? I ran 4.5 miles this morning with my running club. Two people that are run with and I extended the 3 mile run. We are trying to work up to the 6 mile run. A large group goes out for 6 but we're a lot slower than they are - one day hopefully. I also rode my mtn bike for over 2 hours on a state forest trail - it eas a good workout for my legs.

Anyone else get in some running this weekend?

Ang
Old 07-12-2004, 01:00 AM   #24  

Default hmmm

hi,
i posted earlier but it's not here??? hmm that's no the first time...i wonder why?
oh well
my new short term goal is to run as well as you guys! great going!!!
today i went for a wak/jog for 33 mins. i went further than before so i'm happy about that. i did 14.5mins of jogging and 18.5 of walking. i still can't run for more than 2 mins in a row though. i bought some potassium pills and hope they work for the cramps. today i didn't get any today so hopefully they are working.
you guys are doing great
gen
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 AM   #25  
Persistent and Stubborn

gen - I have problems too with posts not showing up. It is a little frustrating. Good job on your walk/run. Give it time and you will be able to run more at one time. A running coach I talked to said that sometimes cramps are dehydration, but other times they are just because your body is not in 'good enough shape' so it has trouble getting enough blood to certain places and thus you get a cramp. Where are you cramping?

Ang
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #26  

Hey, my first post on this thread - I signed up to do a 5k in September; the mail has been sent, there's no escape! I'm going to follow the couch-to-5k-plan, and I'm starting today. I've run before but it's been a while since I've done much of it, and the first few weeks are always the worst. Wish me luck!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:13 PM   #27  

Smile

HI,

good luck on the 5k lkts. let us know how the training is going.

i get cramps in my left calf. causes have been attributed to lack of hydration, low potassium, bad shoes. i drink plenty of water and have started taking potassium pill. my shoes should be good.
i'm wondering if it may be related to my foot size. my left foot is 1/2 size smaller than my right and that shoe is a little looser. i put in insoles but it raises my foot higher than the right and it fels unbalanced. i also tried running in the middle of the road because the roads are always slanted at the sides. so much for running on the bike path. (of course the cars are problematic ) i thought of this because i sometimes run on the outddor gravel track at the y. it's softer on the joints and laterally flat - more comfortable.
so i'm experimenting. i'm thinking too, like you said, that as i get stronger it will go away if i train carefully.
thanks for your help ang, i can use all the help i can get.

good running and stay healthy
gen
Old 07-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #28  
Persistent and Stubborn

Welcome Laura. Great idea to sign up for that 5k. Do you have enough time to get through your plan by the race? You mentioned that you used to run, how long ago? Did you run a lot? It seems from my experience, that people who used to run can sometimes get back into it a little easier than those who have never run before. Maybe the muscles remember somehow. Good luck and definitely keep us posted on your progress.

gen - sounds like you are on the right path to figuring out the cramping problem. I get pain in my shins when I run on a road that slants excessively. The pesky cars are a problem though. Let us know if the potassium helps. Do you stretch adequately before and after your run?

Who is running today? I have a track workout tonight but it is raining right now. I think I will still try to go, I just hope someone shows up to explain the workout.

Have a great Tuesday!

Ang
Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 PM   #29  

HI everyone I never got my run in yesterday like I planed. I got the stomach flu. I am going to try later today on the treadmill.
Laura I wish you luck with the 5 k. It is great feeling once to have done one. I found out that the Terry Fox run is a 10 K here. I think that I will try to do that one. It is in Sept.
Well I hope that everyone is doing well today and keep up the great work.
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #30  
Persistent and Stubborn

Good morning everyone.

Tanya: I'm sorry you got the flu. Are you feeling any better? Have you been able to exercise at all? Let us know if you decide to run the 10k that would be quite an accomplishment.

I have run since Sunday. It has been raining here and I don't have access to a TM. I was in such a groove. This rain is really upsetting me because I am trying to make running a habit and these breaks don't help. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get out.

Have a great day!
Ang